My first pinwheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first pinwheels

While waiting for my bed quilt fabric to arrive I started working on my Christmas gifts. The first is a recliner quilt for my mama. She asked for blue. Yay! I had all my blues picked out and ready for my bed quilt before I found some lovely Moda fabric to use lol. Win! I liked the quilt on Jenny's framed pinwheel tutorial. I will only use half as many as that's all the blue I had in my stash. I'm quite pleased with how they turned out. They were fun to make!! I love her method of sewing 2 squares together and cutting them apart.

There's one square...same square...on most blocks that is slightly off. The top of the point was cut off with my sewing. Any tips or tricks on how to avoid that next time? I chained pieced so I didn't see it until after. My sample first one was fine.
    20200908_221030.jpg20200908_221057.jpg
    Last edited by Hillbillyhike; September 9, 2020, 09:38 AM.
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Being in the process of building several hundred of these, best tip is to press ALL seams of each pinwheel OPEN as you go. It will lay much flatter in the middle. And I won't chain piece on them, using a pin to keep them centered. But, I am never in any hurry. Betting YOU didn't chain piece that first, perfect one...
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

Thanks auntstuff! Those are great tips. I will definitely try them next time. It was definitely bulky to sew through the center. Maybe the needle took a detour around it lol

Comment

Speaking as someone who has found new ways to criticize himself, believe me when I say your work is great. No one will notice any little flaws (except you, of course). All they will notice is the love you put into each project. The hardest thing for me to believe is what I just wrote, but IT IS true!

Rob
        There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
        --Ken Burns

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Rob! That's very encouraging. 😊

Comment

I agree with Rob 100%. No one is going to notice whatever you may think is an issue. I think they look great.
            Carlie

Comment

Thanks so much Carlie! You are both right. No one will notice or care but me. My motto is to do my best, learn from my mistakes, but don't get too fussy. Major mistakes I re-do, but I certainly won't be fixing these! Just thought I'd learn some tricks from you pros!

Comment

You gotta remember that we'rer working with fabric and sometimes it has a mind of it's own. Kinda like messing with Mother Nature sort of a deal. You do your best and treat every stitch as practice to improve your skills, and it's as good as it gets. The little things that pop up require one to live and learn, and accept some things.

One thing that helped me is to analyze what went wrong with each of those little goofs. Work on the problem and your chances are great in the future that it will happen less frequently. Funny, but quilting is a mental exercise as well.
                You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

Well said, oldmanquilts! Thanks for your feedback. I will take your advice.

Comment

I'm not sure what size your pinwheels are but this is a trick I learned about matching multiple seams. Put a pin through all the layers to line them up, pin them together, then just sew them together an inch or so. You can check to see if they match and if so finish the seam the regular way. I hope that is understandable. Above all enjoy the process. It all gets easier the more you do.
                    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                    Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Hillbillyhike View Post
                      Thanks auntstuff! Those are great tips. I will definitely try them next time. It was definitely bulky to sew through the center. Maybe the needle took a detour around it lol
                      Actually things WILL shift a bit when it gets too bulky.
                      TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

I think they look beautiful!

Rob was spot on, nobody will notice the little flaws. They'll be looking at the big picture.
                        Katrina
                        β€œNothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Perfect pinwheels and a special quilt for your mom. She will love her quilt hug.

Honestly, your pinwheels look great and they are all going the right way. I always seem to turn one (or two) the wrong way. The only suggestion for the center is to stitch one thread over the intersection to the right. That thread hitting right at the intersection can cause it to lump over. It could be one needle click or just a slight adjustment when the fabric goes through the feed dogs.

Did you twirl the seams?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajw2PqcFLs0

Comment

I don’t have much luck chain piecing pinwheels. Yours look really good!
                            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by Rhonda K View Post
                              Perfect pinwheels and a special quilt for your mom. She will love her quilt hug.

Honestly, your pinwheels look great and they are all going the right way. I always seem to turn one (or two) the wrong way. The only suggestion for the center is to stitch one thread over the intersection to the right. That thread hitting right at the intersection can cause it to lump over. It could be one needle click or just a slight adjustment when the fabric goes through the feed dogs.

Did you twirl the seams?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajw2PqcFLs0
                              Thanks Ronda. Great tip and video! I will definitely try next time. I didn't twirl. Didn't know I should, lol. 1599796294694987529261859433034.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X