Tea cozy and mats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tea cozy and mats

I just finished this tea set. I had the cozy already made, but I learned to embroider for this project. I had the yellow fabric in my stash and have been wanting to make hexies for a while now. The shape of my cozy reminded me of a beehive and I was going to make a new cozy out of the hexies. But, the hexies turned out too big and I didn't like how it looked. So...this is plan B! I made 65 quilt as you go hexies that I hand stitched and hand stitched together. I learned how to make these on Jenny's tutorial. They were so much fun to make! Very addicting!! I'm pretty pleased with how it all turned out. ☺

20200906_111955.jpg20200906_111929.jpg20200906_111947.jpg
    Attached Files
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

How pretty! I have three sentimental teapots. I love them, but I'm afraid to use them. I'd hate for anything to happen to them.
    Katrina
    β€œNothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Thanks Katrina! I keep my good ones in my cabinet for looking at and use a practical glass one with loose leaf strainer for everyd day. It's under the cozy.

Comment

Those are very cute and I live the idea of the "bee" mat. I have a special teapot that one of my granddaughter painted for me several years ago. I keep it in a special place and do not use it for the same reason as you, Katrina. I don't want it to break.
        Carlie

Comment

WOW are you talented and sew creative. The beehive and flowers are the perfect setting along with the hexies to look like honeycombs!

I do not use my teapots as often as I had in the past, but I do use them. They are to be enjoyed and they need the attention. I always remember my grandmother not wanting to use her wedding china because she was afraid of the breakage. Unfortunately when an earthquake hit So California her china cabinet fell over and there was not one piece of china to be rescued. I can still hear her saying "I should have used them when I had the chance and now no one can enjoy them."
          No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
          Aesop

Comment

That is an adorable set!! Love it. I don't have tea pots but wow! You sre so talented. Great job!!

Comment

These are absolutely darling!
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I have 2 tea pots which I never use. One belonged to my mom. It's white with gold trim. The creamer & sugar holder are gold. The 2nd one I won at a retired nurses' banquet. The table centerpieces all were tea pots with floral arrangements in them. There was a no. stuck on the bottom of our chairs; mine matched the no. on the tea pot. The flowers lasted a long time. I make my tea either in a kettle on the stove (for a big batch), or heat water in the microwave in a glass measuring cup & steep the tea directly in those.

Comment

Granny Fran, my mother had a beautiful set of china that my dad bought for her in Japan when he was stationed there before I was born. She never used it. She passed in 1998. When my grandparents passed away (her parents) in 2010 I was cleaning out the attic and found crates. When I opened them I saw it was my mothers china. She never even took it out of the crates it was shipped in from Japan. It makes me wonder what my dad thought of that. Anyway, I use it periodically, mainly when I have my daughter and her family here during special occasions. I had a friend who did beautiful embroidery and she gifted me with some pillowcases. I told her I could never use them they were so lovely. Her comment, which I've taken to heart, was " they were made for you to use. You show your appreciation by using the gift".
                  Carlie

Comment

Thank you all for such kind words!! Now we just need this pandemic to end so I can serve tea with friends and family! In the meantime it'll be tea for one. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by CarlieBlilie View Post
                      Granny Fran, my mother had a beautiful set of china that my dad bought for her in Japan when he was stationed there before I was born. She never used it. She passed in 1998. When my grandparents passed away (her parents) in 2010 I was cleaning out the attic and found crates. When I opened them I saw it was my mothers china. She never even took it out of the crates it was shipped in from Japan. It makes me wonder what my dad thought of that. Anyway, I use it periodically, mainly when I have my daughter and her family here during special occasions. I had a friend who did beautiful embroidery and she gifted me with some pillowcases. I told her I could never use them they were so lovely. Her comment, which I've taken to heart, was " they were made for you to use. You show your appreciation by using the gift".
                      I love her comment Carlie. So true!! So nice that you got your mother's china. Too bad she didn't use it. I wonder why. My husband ended up with his granny's good china and every time we hosted a family dinner we used them. His dad always beamed! They were his mother's. She got them for her wedding and used them as her every day dishes. They are a bit worn and a couple chipped and some pieces were lost before hubby got them, but they are well protected and have never seen a dishwasher. They will be passed down to his niece...his sister's daughter...when she gets married.

Comment

Granny Fran, my guess is that my mom was afraid that she would break them. My
                        mom was a great mom but not a homemaker. She would rather read a book. I learned a lot about baking and crafts from her mom who lived just across the street.
                        Carlie

Comment

Fran...that must have been heartbreaking for your mother. How tragic!

Comment

Beautiful work! I especially love the silk ribbon embroidery you did. Thank you for sharing. Hugs Katie

Comment

Thanks Katie. It's just regular embroidery floss. I found a good video tutorial on basic embroidery.

Comment

Working...
                              X