Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt Sharing....Day 2

Hi,

Happy Tuesday!! All these were made while I was living in Germany. My ex husband was in the Army. I was not working most of the time there. I was finishing my Bachelor degree online. I was also very involved with the quilt guild on the military base. On with the show...

Thanks for looking and I hope you don't mind my stories!

This first one is a sampler that we did as a guild. Mostly everyone did one. If you look at the bottom right corner our guild initials are embroidered.

20200901_065623.jpg

The next one, was with some of my favorite fabric line. When I started quilting I had no idea how much fabric to buy so and i was on a budget as I had littles. I learned with this fabric as by the time I was ready to use it, it was no where to be found to get more. I found this pattern that used every inch of it i had. I had to get a solid for the border. I did find the plaid print for the back.
    20200901_070043.jpg

The next one is for my Dad. He's a country boy from West Virginia. I have the backing ...cowboy boots. I'm going to quilt this one by Christmas as he has been in poor health for a few year now. He's a fighter though!! I've gifted him a couple quilts. Lol everytime I would take a quilt to the hospital to see him, I would bring it to work on the bindings, I never left with it.

20200901_070726.jpg20200901_070741.jpg

The next one is a stack and wack. One of the ladies helped me cut it out at a retreat. Lol I don't think I can do this again by myself. There is a lot to this and very precise cutting. It's bright and cheerful. I was happy with how it turned out. The border fabric is what l used for the blocks.
    20200901_070429.jpg20200901_070435.jpg

Thanks for sharing your quilt journey. Where in Germany did you live?
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Comment

Hi Granny Fran,

I lived in a village outside Ramstein close to Landstuhl, Hermersberg. Loved it!

Comment

Oh the stack and whacks! You should have seen my BIL's face when I started ripping his fabric in half! We still laugh about it.

Thanks for sharing!
        Katrina
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by Momofmonsters5 View Post
          Hi Granny Fran,

I lived in a village outside Ramstein close to Landstuhl, Hermersberg. Loved it!
          Wow, I know where that is! When we lived in Belgium (SHAPE) we had to go to Landstuhl for eye appts for my 2 youngest children. THat was in the late 70's though.
          No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
          Aesop

Comment

Thanks for day 2 of the show! I love hearing stories behind quilts. Your dad is going to love his quilt. I've never done a Stack & Whack quilt but they do look difficult to me. I'm enjoying your show each day!

Comment

This is an awesome collection today! I hope you get your Dad’s quilt finished.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Great quilts today. I like the checked fabric you used for your background on the blue and green quilt. It's nice to hear the stories behind each quilt.
                If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I really like sampler quilts, and that one with the traditional blocks is amazing. Stack and Whack sounds like the way I used to chop wood when I worked on my neighbor's farm, although a couple of times it was stack, whack and cut myself.😁

Thanks for sharing, and I love the stories as well.

Rob
                  There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                  --Ken Burns

Comment

I like all your quilts. I think you must like green. I never have made a Stack & Whack quilt pattern. It's interesting that in 2 of the quilts you used dark or black sashing. It really compliments the blocks. You've done a great job on all the intricate piecing.

DH also was in Germany at Ramstein. He was in the Army, but he was sent TDY to Ramstein, where he stayed for the remainder of his tour since the Air Force base had better working & living conditions than the Army base. He was a medic & drove an ambulance & took shifts in the ER. My, does he have the stories to tell. He still has nightmares about some things.

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                      I like all your quilts. I think you must like green. I never have made a Stack & Whack quilt pattern. It's interesting that in 2 of the quilts you used dark or black sashing. It really compliments the blocks. You've done a great job on all the intricate piecing.

DH also was in Germany at Ramstein. He was in the Army, but he was sent TDY to Ramstein, where he stayed for the remainder of his tour since the Air Force base had better working & living conditions than the Army base. He was a medic & drove an ambulance & took shifts in the ER. My, does he have the stories to tell. He still has nightmares about some things.
                      You are right Joy, green is my favorite color. Thanks! I bet he does, my son is a medic in the National Guard. He already saved a guy from alchohol poisoning during AIT in his dorm by putting in an IV. So I can only imagine what stories your husband has!!

Comment

Great quilts Rachael. Love your Dad's. Gina

Comment

Thanks for sharing. They are all wonderful. I have not done a stack and whack either. Not sure that it will go on my list of things to do. Have too many already. 😉
                          Carlie

Comment

thanks for the show and tell. I love your sampler quilt and I know how much work goes into one. Don't see those too much these days but I think it is popular now made as smaller blocks and called row by row? I also haven't made a stack and whack but they sure do make pretty quilts. It is a crazy way to make a block though!

Comment

Beautiful quilts and beautiful stories. I think sample quilts help us learn the block names and "strive" for that 1/4 inch seam. Your second quilt is why we tend to over-buy fabrics. The quilt for your dad is precious and sure to bring him heart smiles. The stack and wack is so pretty.

You have made gorgeous quilts! Thanks for the show today.

Comment

Working...
                              X