Crossroads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossroads

Well, for what its worth, here it is. I've decided not to finish it with the border because it would just be a waste of fabric. Cheryl will use it to practice FMQ, and I'll move on. I think from the outset I knew I wouldn't be very happy with it. The color combination didn't work, and the sashing and piecing was off. Most likely, I bit off more than I could chew, but I wanted to try it. By the way, it's hanging below a skylight, which explains the poor lighting. Live and learn.

Rob
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

I really like it! I'll be completely honest when you showed the block by itself I didn't know about the green either but all together I think it adds something. We quilters have a saying. If you can't see it from a galloping horse, then mistakes don't matter!! Great job!

Comment

Rob- I disagree. First I quite like the colors, and since we're all different... I would put a border on it, quilt it, and hang it proudly. I've lost track but I think this is your first project with a fair amount of piecing? It looks really good, and I think you should hang it as a reminder as from where you came. Bit off more than you can chew? Never. If you don't do that once in a while you won't progress as rapidly.
      You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

It looks fine. Most of us don’t have a first quilt that looks as good as yours. Every quilt teaches you something as you make your quilt journey. This is a very good beginning!
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Rob ~ That quilt is nothing to be ashamed of! That pattern had a LOT of seams to match! I think you did pretty darn good for a beginner quilter. No matter how long we've been piecing & quilting, every quilt & sewing experience teaches us something. Not sure if you're there yet, but something that helps me with nesting seams is planning ahead with my pressing. I even mark my ends of my rows with arrows so I'll remember which direction to press. Sometimes no matter how well one plans ahead, there will be a seam that doesn't nest/match, but it's no biggie. Keep on truckin'.

Comment

Well I like it! It needs a picnic on top of it!
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I like it, too. Like Joy said, you always learn something from each quilt. Piecing and matching all those blocks was quite an achievement. I like Momofmonsters5 quote " if you can't see it from a galloping horse it doesn't matter". I'm going to remember that one for myself.
              Carlie

Comment

Another vote to keep it as a fond memory of your quilting journey. You finished and finished fast. All the intersections looks good too. The best part about being a beginner is that we learn along the away. Even those in the experienced side will have something to learn along the way. May we never know it "all".

PS: I will add that you are wise to move on to your next one too. It's always exciting.

Comment

Rob, for a beginner that is a great quilt! Don't be too hard on yourself. Blocks with a lot of piecing are harder to keep consistently the same size. You accomplished quite a bit in that quilt!
                  If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I sincerely appreciate everyone's opinion. I'm not going to toss it, but it will be a while before anything else is done with it. Tonight I had some HST's and other cut pieces of fabric left over, so I decided to practice my star making. This doesn't go to any quilts I've planned. It's just practice. Here is the result.

Rob
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.
                    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                    --Ken Burns

Comment

I think it looks great. We are always our worst critics. I think we’ve all had a few that we weren’t exactly happy with. Had one just recently that I’m calling the ugliest quilt I’ve ever made. I don’t consider them a failure but rather a learning experience and just move on.

You’re doing great and I’m enjoying following your progress.

Comment

I think your quilt top looks great! I wish my first quilt had looked that good. I always like my quilts better after they are completely finished & washed. I think you will feel better about this one when it is completed with the quilting & binding. I think you did a fantastic job on it & look forward to more from you.
                        I like your newest practice block. Stars are a favorite of mine.

Comment

Do you have a design board / wall? you'd be able to see more clearly if seams don't line up like the sashing, for me I would have stopped where it didn't line up and figure out where my seam allowance was off, the fix that before going further.
                          Kathryn
                          There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

We do have a design wall (one of those Fons and Porter ones), although the bottom quarter is behind my pressing cabinet and sewing table. I've suggested we move it to another wall where it would be fully available, but I can't seem to get Cheryl on board.

Thanks!
                            Rob
                            --Ken Burns

Comment

Working...
                            X