Quilt Sharing - Day 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt Sharing - Day 4

Quilted Big Star Baby Quilt - July 2014 010.JPGThis is the Big Star Quilt, made for a baby boy at my church in 2014. I added HSTs to the top & bottom to make it rectangular. This was quilted on my DSM with straight lines. I used the blue wash-out pen to make tick marks for the lines. This was made prior to any ruler work.

2 Panel Quilts- July, 2016 006.JPGThis is another panel quilt for a new baby at church, made in 2014. I custom quilted this one on my DSM. I used 2 of Angela Walters' FMQ designs in the borders: the wish bone & the stacked triangles.

Finished Carolina Chain - Nov. 2016 001.JPGThis is Bonnie Hunter's pattern for the Carolina Chain. It's a copyrighted pattern in a quilt mag., but by looking at the pic & watching her Quilt Cam video, I was able to figure it out. Bonnie used 2" strips, but I used 2.5" leftover binding strips & scraps on this one. The finished blocks are 6". The trick is to have all your block pieces stacked & ready so the chain piecing works effectively. This was made in 2016.

Cutting Corners Quilt- Nov. 2016 219.JPGThis is the Herringbone quilt, a pattern by Jenny. I made this in 2016 from the Chloe fabric line. The backing is the sort of burgundy/purple batik you can see on the R lower corner. Since it is queen sized, I sent this one out to the longarmer. It was a wedding gift for my grandson.

While browsing for pics, I ran across ones of my new great grandson & other special family events. So many memories! Thanks for looking.

Your quilting is exquisite, and the quilts themselves very beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Comment

Joy, you do excellent work!! ThNks for sharing. I've loved everyday! Great work!!

Comment

Your machine quilting is beautiful. I'm just starting to machine quilting and have a long way go.
        Carlie

Comment

Beautiful quilts today Joy!
          If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Just lovely!! Our phones and WiFi are up and down. Not sure when we will be done with this nuisance.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Joy, all can say is wow! Your quilts are so pretty & love the quilting.. You are an inspiration to a soon-to-be FMQ for me. Gina

Comment

Your quilts are beautiful! I hope one day, I'll figure out how to FMQ on my Husky.
                Katrina
                “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Katrina ~ I learned to FMQ on my older H. Viking machine which had a smaller throat than the one I have now, which is the Opal 670. The key is to have a custom fit extension table, have the right presser foot, & use that Supreme Slider & use Machinger's Gloves. It's important to have another table or surface next to your sewing table so there is no draping or drag on the bulk of the quilt. The quilt needs to be able to move freely under the needle. My space is limited, so I use an ironing board (with the silver silicone cover) along the L. side of my table on which to rest the bulk. There are generic presser feet available from Amazon. I started out with an inexpensive plastic foot. I broke the first two I used, then invested in a better quality one which was specific for my DSM. I like the open toed ones the best; better visibility when quilting. FQs are a good size for a practice sandwich.

During my early quilting journey, when I realized how expensive it was going to get to take all my quilts to the longarmer, I made up my mind I was going to learn FMQ! I finally invested in the Baby Lock Tiara II, a table model LA. I bought it on a close out deal from my LQS. It had been a floor demo; he needed to make room for the next model. I probably practiced on it a good hour one day at the store to get the feel of it. Then I needed to convince DH to spend the money. It's been well worth it. I've had it 5 years this month.

Comment

Beautiful quilts-- all of them! I like that you're giving details with each quilt, how it was quilted, who it was for.
                    ~ Carol from PA

Comment

Beautiful quilts. The Carolina Chain one says "controlled scrappy" to me. I love Bonnie Hunter and her quilts always seem to work but when I try putting all my scraps together, it just looks a little too busy and chaotic. And adding the HST to the too and bottom of the Big Star quilt was a great idea.
                      Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks for sharing more pretty quilts to brighten our day. I love the quit story that goes with them. Do you keep a journal for your quilts or just know them by heart?

Comment

Magnificent as always. I remember watching your posts from years ago when you would go into great detail about the fabric, thread and techniques you used. I learned so much from reading your postings.
                          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                          Terry

Comment

Journal? ~ No, I don't keep a journal as such. I have a 3-ring binder as well as a spiral notebook in which I draw a rough diagram of the quilt, measurements, fabrics used, date made, etc. Some quilts I drew out on graph paper first. On my computer, my photos are labeled with the titles of the quilts & dates. Many of the baby quilts I don't remember which mom/baby they were gifted to. Over the years, I've made so many for folks in my church. Under the old Forum format, we were able to post comments under each individual pic in our albums. I'm disappointed in the way the revised Forum works now for displaying our "media" albums. It reversed the order of the pics, so usually the back of the quilt shows first, instead of the pic I had selected for the album cover. I haven't figured out how to edit those albums. If anyone has figured it out, I'd like to know. M* never answered my query about it.

Comment

The change has me lost as well, on making the photo albums again. I was surprised to see all my albums gone . I loved when I could tell a friend she could see my quilts on the MSQC forum album. I miss that. I finished my son's Canadian quilt, and wanted to add it to the album , then remembered it's gone. That's a project for another day to start that all over again. I have 25 UFOs to finish so no shortage of things to catch up on. Catching up on internet stuff is at bottom of list.

Comment

Working...
                              X