Hope the devil wears long underwear....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope the devil wears long underwear....

because Hell just officially froze over.

This is the prototype for the Civil War Comfort quilt. I'm not smiling because I'm pooped (sorry about the quarantine hair). I didn't start this until about noon or so and just finished. From a distance it looks better than it does close up, but for the very first time I'm not going to complain. I learned a lot about what to do and what not to do, and I became well acquainted with the seam ripper. I'm not going to jump right in to the Kansas Troubles quilt because I need to work on some things. I had about five or six times when the seam didn't catch. Some of the blocks didn't seem to be the right size, but Cheryl showed me a way to pin it so it would even out after sewing. In spite of being tired, I have to say I enjoyed it. It goes without saying that I've got a LOOOOONGGG way to go, but the journey has started. Mom, I hope you're proud of me.

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Looks like ya did good...
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

Great job!! It's just takes practice. Looks perfect!!

Comment

That is great! You are off to a very good start. Seam ripper will become a very good friend. You are learning very fast.

Comment

That's a great beginning! We all have to start somewhere. When I first started quilting, I bought inexpensive fabric from our Super Walmart, which still has a large fabric dept. I didn't want to practice on the expensive quilt shop fabric. You're smart to start small & practice that consistent 1/4" seam, etc. Matching seams takes some practice. I try to plan ahead with the pressing so seams match up better. Give yourself some breaks with your sewing so you don't get over tired. I think a lot of folks still are dealing with Covid-19/quarantine hair. Our barber shops & hair dresser shops now are open.

Comment

Every journey begins with the first step. I pinned for a long time before I just started sewing without pins. Give yourself the gift of time!
            Katrina
            “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

I think it looks great, especially for a first attempt. Learning from mistakes isn't a bad thing.

Comment

First of all I think it looks great. Second, how could your mama not be proud? I remember the first time my daughter started quilting. She had a lot of the gaps as well. I am very well acquainted with my seam ripper, spent a lot of time with it yesterday! That never ends. You are much farther than I was with my very first quilt!
                Carlie

Comment

That is great. I am especially impressed by the cornerstones!

Comment

Nice. Looks like you are a quick learner and Cheryl is a good teacher.

Comment

You did a great job and the seam ripper is just a "fixer notion"... I use mine alot!

Comment

Wonderful, Rob! Your corners and matching them are great!
                        ~ Carol from PA

Comment

nice work and it is the first one, be proud of it

Comment

Rob, I know Mom is proud of you. You've come a long way from not knowing. Put a "proud of this" smile on your face & dance. We're proud of you. Gina

Comment

You're doing good. Looks good.

Comment

Working...
                              X