Masks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masks

When I first started making mask, I had no elastic. No idea how to make a face mask in sizes that would fit different people.

Picture #1 I found this pattern that tied and made a ton of them. What a pain they were with the binding.

Picture #2 and 3 I found a pattern that I thought would fit better and it had a pocket on the back for a filter. Honestly this one was just bulky and strange.

Picture #4 Next my daughter had me recreate one she bought at Gap. It was okay but still didn't fit right to me on the sides but much better than #1 or #2

Picture #5 My last attempt at mask were made from a template made by Creative Grids. They are so easy to make, can be made in small medium or large and I like the fit better. I found the elastic at Shabby Fabrics and they have nice colors and shipped fast.

NOT SURE WHY THE LAST PICTURES DIDNT SHOW UP IN THE BODY OF THIS
    Click on where its says 5 photos to see the Creative Grids photo
    I think I am finished with mask for awhile. I'm going back to quilting.
    Last edited by TMP; June 24, 2020, 07:26 PM.

I use the pattern from shabby fabrics, love it! That's a lot of masks

Comment

I used Donna Jordan's mask pattern for most of my masks.

Comment

I have made close to 200 masks. About 100 of them have the bias tape ties. The rest were all elastic that went over the head in two loops. After all that, I discovered the 3D mask pattern on youtube and I make that now and find it to be the best fitting. I changed the pattern up to run one big loop instead of putting elastic on your ears. I can pop them out in about ten minutes.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

The template is about the kind that I have been making. I used a paper template for mine.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I am still making the flat folded masks that Jenny did a tutorial on. Have many repeat customers who like them and think they are comfortable. Inching close to 500 made. My customers are getting them for friends and families! Getting elastic during April was impossible. I kept ordering and ordering! Now I have hundreds of yards of elastic! I also use an aluminum nose wire after using up all my chenille stems and twist tie wire. Makes the masks fit very well across the bridge of the nose. I have made the curved ones, but not that many of those. Thought that creative grids template sounded like a good idea but it is sold out every where.

Comment

Jean, if by chance you need more elastic, try Atwood Rope. They are in Ohio. I ordered in April and it took just three days to get here.

Also, for those that make the shaped masks, Martelli also sells a template. I tried making that style and did not enjoy it at all.
              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I made a few masks for DD the Kindergarten teacher's friend; then DD went on FaceBook and posted that if anyone needed them, I would make them - without telling me! I am not exaggerating - within 8 hours I had requests for 120 masks! Happily, DIL called and offered to help, so she took about half of them off my hands, and I was able to keep up for a few weeks. Then I had DD post that I could not make any more - I was out of elastic, and honestly, they were taking up all my sewing time! All told, I've made well over 100, but I think I'm going to need to make several more for myself: I've taken on a permanent substitute teaching job (quit my office job - hooray!!), and our Governor says when school opens up in August, we're going to have to wear masks daily.

Comment

Oh i like hearing of masks being worn when schools open. not everywhere evidently. my middle granddtr said she wasn't wearing a mask when school re-opens. sigh!

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                    Jean, if by chance you need more elastic, try Atwood Rope. They are in Ohio. I ordered in April and it took just three days to get here.

Also, for those that make the shaped masks, Martelli also sells a template. I tried making that style and did not enjoy it at all.
                    I will second Atwood Rope. I ordered elastic late on a Saturday night and had it by the following Wednesday.
                    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I have lost track of how many masks I have made. I did make some with the ties at the beginning of all this but liked the ones with elastic better. I did run out of elastic about 3 weeks into the mask making but luckily didn't have to wait too long for more to arrive. I will check out Atwood for more now since I don't see the demand for masks going away. In fact, I think it will ramp up again as we get closer to fall so I want to be ready. Especially kid sized ones if schools open. I got the Creative Grid template but haven't tried it yet. I liked that it has 3 different size choices and they look pretty easy to make.
                      Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

It is interesting how our mask making styles have changed since the beginning. I found 1/4" elastic is too thick for my ears and for grandkids, and I found some 1/8" that works well. For men, and broader-faced women (if I can use that term) definitely use the 1/4". I made the creative grids version from a pattern I had, but have shaped it a bit.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Love the ideas!! Love the masks. I have gone back to my school and wear my mask daily for most of the day when I am with the children. I do take it out to eat or drink.

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post

Don’t need it now! All those orders came in and now I have about 400+ yards of it!

Comment

you know my elastic doesn't bother my ears. i just drape the elastic around my ears, doesn't pull tight i guess. I did the curved style mask from thecraftyquilter .com. fits under my chin too. i did a dart on the sides on mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X