Virtual Quilt Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual Quilt Show

Good morning everyone and welcome to the first Forum Virtual Quilt Show! With all that's going on right now and all the quilt shows being canceled, I thought it might be fun and interesting for us to put together our own little quilt show here on the forum. Post a picture of a quilt you like, a fun quilt or an interesting quilt. If you made it yourself, even better! If you have a bit of a story behind it, please share it as well!

I'll be going through the BLOCK photography archive and posting pictures of quilts that catch my eye as well here and there.

I'll start off with an applique piece I made as part of a company-wide event: The Tiki Wall Hanging

NAME: The Partying Tiki

THE STORY:
    I was not interested in making a run-of-the-mill tiki that looked all serious, so I took the templates and gave them my unique spin with the fabrics I found. My tiki would be fun, a party animal, dancing in a tropical field full of flowers and birds! (I still don't know what the fabric with the flamingos was called, but it was in the pile and I loved it!) He would be drinking from a bubbly coconut and sporting cool shades. Thus was my tiki born... his hair was the grass skirt template, nose and mouth and teeth all freehand.

When I showed my manager, she said "Where's the feet?" He doesn't need feet, I insisted, but in the end, feet were added. But they couldn't be the blocky template feet... no way! I made feet with *toes*! That made him a barefoot dancing party animal drinking from a coconut! The piece was quilted and bound by our crew, and now I get the chance to share it with you!

It's not the most gorgeous or interesting quilt, but it's mine.

What do you have that you would like to share? Maybe when we get them all together, I can compile them into a single post or a slideshow!

You can almost hear the music playing in the background! Great Tiki quilt!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

That's hysterical! Love it! Now that's going to be a tough act to follow.
      Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, both of you! I'm excited to see what everyone else posts, now! (Can I just say I was a bit nervous sharing it?)

Brian

Comment

Quilts.jpg
          This my first attempt to post photos on the new forum...hope it works. These quilts were made by my quilt guild for donation. The quilt on the left is MSQC's Grand Adventures pattern and middle one is MSQC's Out-of-Time pattern.
          *~* Myrna *~*
          *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Originally posted by MRoy View Post
            Quilts.jpg
            This my first attempt to post photos on the new forum...hope it works. These quilts were made by my quilt guild for donation. The quilt on the left is MSQC's Grand Adventures pattern and middle one is MSQC's Out-of-Time pattern.
            The image went up perfectly, and those are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing! Where did they get donated to?

Comment

Originally posted by blusk View Post

The image went up perfectly, and those are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing! Where did they get donated to?
              They were donated to the local Children's Advocacy Center to be given to children served by the center.
              *~* Myrna *~*
              *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Beautiful work, Brian and Myrna!
                Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
                ― Maya Angelou

Comment

What a wonderful idea!

The Tiki is awesome!
                  Lorie
                  🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

Those are lovely Myrna!
                    I don't have anything new to post but do have 3 in progress. I'd better get off the Forum and run to my sweatshop to turn out something nice to share.
                    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Night Sky using batiks. My first upload using the new format. Easy Peasy!
                      Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; March 19th, 2020, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• blusk
                        blusk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Love how the colors work on this one, Jean! It's gorgeous!

This is the first quilt I finished (my third pieced top). I gave it to my Mom for Mother's Day in 2017. She is 90 years old, has Alzheimer's, and is on lockdown at her memory care facility. The quilt is a variation on Jenny's wall flower quilt. Mom's favorite flower is a daisy.

IMG_7550.jpg
                      IMG_7554.jpg

Comment

• blusk
                        blusk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Are those applique flowers or pieced? Love it!

Jean and Julie, your quilts are so pretty! Love the bright, happy colors in both of them.
                      "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?

Comment

Your quilts are all beautiful. Thanks for starting this thread of virtual quilt show.

I took a beginner quilt course in April 2015 for 8 weeks. It was to make a sampler quilt of 12 blocks. I picked my fabrics, drawn to purples, blues and soft gray. None of these colours in our home. I was an enthusiastic student, and maybe a bit too A-type for my teacher. Early on, I realized I didn't want a lap quilt and I would make a quilt for our king size bed. Well that's when the hunt began for the fabrics I neded to add. I discovered about 12 quilt stores in a perimeter of an hour from home. I found a bit of each fabric at each LQS but no one had the entire collection. That's when I discovered MSQC. Sigh of relief and gratitude. I had all the fabrics. I designed my quilt in a symmetry of 49 blocks with sashing. I sewed like a mad woman, became acquainted with seam ripper. By the time the course was over, my top was done. Did I mention 2 other class,ages made King size quilts. I see my teacher at many events, but coincidentally she has stopped teaching.

I entered red my quilt in our guild's 2016 show. While I didn't win a prize, I worked the show as floor monitor and got lots of positive comments. I called it "Purple Passion" and it was wuilted by LAQ
                        . image.jpg

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

• blusk
                          blusk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          And clearly you're passionate about your purple! Thanks for sharing, it's beautiful! (also, thanks for sharing the story behind it! That's a lot of quilt stores to hit up!)

Here is one of my latest finished quilts. It's a stacked coin quilt using one charm pack & the rest scraps I had on hand. I did big stitch quilting in various size circles using different bright colored perle cotton. For the quilting I cut circles out of freezer paper and ironed them onto the quilt & then big stitched around them. I decided to keep this one because I love the big stitch & colors!

Comment

• blusk
                          blusk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It's gorgeous! Love every bit of it!
                      Working...
                      X