Draft stoppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draft stoppers

After cleaning my sewing room today I decided to do a little stash busting and made these draft stoppers. I close off our unused rooms in the winter to save on our heating bill. Today it is a balmy 28 degrees here in Monroeville, Indiana

Re: Draft stoppers

Woops I forgot to attach these pictures!
    Attached Files

Comment

Really cute, Angie! It's "balmy" here in NJ today, too - 27 degrees with a little under a foot of snow on the ground. I work in a bank and have had ZERO customers today - I'm fretting, imagining all the sewing I could be doing!

What do you fill your draft stoppers with?
      There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Here it is a balmy 3 degrees!
        Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Yikes! We only get that cold a couple of times a year.
          There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

What a clever idea! Hope everyone is staying warm! I think that I'll make a couple of those draft stoppers for some windows that I noticed were super cold this morning.

Comment

I think one would be perfect to lay in the inside tracks of our sliding glass doors. There's an awful lot of coldness around them and these would help block alot of it.
              Thanks for sharing. I love your stash busting idea!
              Lola
              :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

good idea. those are cute
                Patrice

Comment

Happy to be in Indiana where compared to the east coast we are enjoying "warmer" weather

I used Kitty Litter for the ends and middle of the draft stoppers and fiber fill for the rest. I made three little bags and filled them with the Kitty Litter, pushed them into the tube, filled half way with fiber fill, added another Kitty Litter bag, filled with fiber fill, added the last Kitty Litter bag and machine sewed the end shut.

Happy quilting! I have the week off and am hoping to get alot done this week

Comment

They are a lovely idea, it's been super cold here for months now. It got down to -15C (I think that's about 5 degrees Fahrenheit) a couple of weeks ago and it's due to get colder in January.

I could do with one of these to stop the draft in my room at uni. Is it just filled with regular stuffing or is there something weighted in there?
                    Quilting through the dull times
                    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

It sounds like the kitty litter inside would be the weight part of it.
                      Love these! I think I need some too - love that middle one with the strips off center a little.

Hugs,
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                      http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                      http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Hi Angie,
                        These are sooo cute. How wide do you cut the fabric? I want to
                        make some. Thanks
                        Shirley
                        Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

okay i have seen these... but i know i live in MN.... but what do you stuff them with???

would make great gifts... or a cool thing to offer at a craft fair....
                          all the best
                          Gina

Comment

I made them 8"x33" for a 32" door. I made three little bags about 3"x3" finished and filled them with Kitty Litter. I sewed the 8"x33" fabric into a tube leaving one end open. I put one bag of kitty litter in, filled to the center point with fiber fill, add another kitty litter bag, fill with fiber fill, add the last kitty litter bag, scrunch everything down to make a space to fold in the ends and machine sew the opening closed. They were really easy!
                            Thanks for the window and sliding door ideas! I never even thought to use them there...

Comment

What a great idea and I can use up remnants! I have an old house and these would be very handy. It is a balmy 23 F. to go down to 6 degrees. Could be worse my bro is at -16F. BRRR!
                              sigpic
                              Old quilters never die, they just go batty!

Your Canadian quilting sister, Shauna

Comment

Working...
                              X