• piebaldbully
    replied
    Re: String Quilt

That is really cool.... :mrgreen:

Leave a comment:

• Evelynquilts
    replied

I just finished one for Linus and you would be surprised how pretty they turn out....great job...

Leave a comment:

• sondray
    replied

Great job! I just can't seem to get the hang of paper piecing, the first time I tried I sewed it backwards, lol. So I gave up, but I am determined to try it again after the holidays.

Leave a comment:

• mudpotter
    replied

I too love string quilts and am working on my second. What I'm really liking is doing the strings in the Quilt as you go method. I cut a backing, batting and start sewing my strings right through it all. When I'm done, I square them up and with the addition of the sashing, and binding - your done!
    here's an example
    http://mudpotter.blogspot.com/2008/07/s ... lting.html

Leave a comment:

• Rosie
    replied

This is so beautiful! I'll have to try this pattern one day.

Leave a comment:

• sewhot
    replied

ROFL!!! I love it. That story is hilarious!!

Oh, and the block is darling!! Love the pics!! We are 'visual' quilters!! We NEED pictures!! Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Quilt Vader
    replied

Rougealar that is a wonderful block - already my mind went to wrok thinking how to use it - I'm thinking florals might be cool with greens around the strips ... would you make up somthing to show us in colors/fabrics you like?
    I'd love to see a Christmas fabaic sample ... I have another idea - thanks to your visual - I was given some hangers of sample fabrics, they are less than fat 1/8th and are intersting .. maybe cut into strips and make those blocks like you have shown us. ... I guess I'm sort of needing a break from the big quilts and the busy patterns, time to create a few things just for fun!
    105 again today.

Leave a comment:

• rougealar
    replied

I made a practise block from a pattern I saw on this site, I thought you might like to see it.
    Diane

http://www.quiltville.com/stringx.shtml

I'd like to make a quilt with Christmas fabrics in this pattern

[attachment=0:1okbqox2]new string block.jpg[/attachment:1okbqox2]

Leave a comment:

• rougealar
    replied

This 'sweet grandma' would have laughed her bu-- off if she recieved one of those squares What a funny story!
    Diane

Leave a comment:

• stitchywoman
    replied

Haha ! That's a major oops moment! Your quilts are beautiful though! They make great christmas quilts! I like them!

Leave a comment:

• Quilt Vader
    replied

Warning, I'm going to tell a story on myself, and there is a moment of great embarrassment if you're easily offended - don't read it - not nasty, just major red cheeks.. ops: regarding those String blocks in Christmas fabrics - I was in a swap - on HGTV - and had merrily made my requiste number and sent them on .. I had some for MY OWN blocks made up also - and was showing them proudly to my visiting 46 YO son - he was staring at one for kind of a long time and finally looked at me, quizzical look in place, and says 'Mom, snow tits??' WHAT? Sure enough, I had cut strings from the snowman fabric that had the sentence Let It Snow several times... and yes, I had cut some of those strings so they had an entirley different message than expected. After getting over my shock.. I Immediatley emailed the swap hostess - I had visions of some sweet gramma getting my blocks with that bit of whimsy.
    No she didn't get one - I sent her one though so she could have her laugh .
    Time to get busy - I'm working on blocks using mens shirt fabrics.
    Do you have some good ideas?

Leave a comment:

• sewhot
    replied

Oh wow, that is so fun! I love all the examples of your string quilts quiltvader! thanks for the show and tell!!

Leave a comment:

• niki
    replied

I love your examples Quilt Vader, I see what you mean about christmas fabrics. LOVE IT! I am visual person, I know you gave instructions, but I have to go to the tutorial and see it done. I am collecting quite a bit of scraps, can't wait to start using them.

Niki

Leave a comment:

• Quilt Vader
    replied

I love string quilts and have done several. Instead of paper piecing I have been using a WASHED and MACHINE DRIED muslin foundation .. cut about 1 inch bigger than the finished blocks size. By placing the first strip face up diagonally from corner to corner, and putting a pin in each end, I can add a strip on top of it and wrong side up along the edges, sew first one and then the other, press them out away from the center .. and then do the same again on each side edge, lay a strip face to face (and on top of ) the one already sew, sew those raw edges, press that strip out and go on to the next. When you get to the corner, grab a small piece of scrap, sew it on same way, when all done and its pressed, using a square up ruler with the points llined up , cut the edges down to size. IF you aren't going to use them right away, I suggest stitching around the block near the edge tokeep them tidy. Also strips can be cut from any fabric you like, feature florals with maybe a dark pink or WOW center stip, or fall colors strings on dark brown or black center, my favorite comes out at Christmas - it's really pretty and .. I might have a picture Also did a baby size with flannels, and even though I had pre-washed the flannels, there was still fraying, so if you re going to use them, be sure to use a 1/2 seam instead of the normal 1/4. When my mom passed away last year my friendship/quilting class made string blocks for me in teals and brown - I wasn't ready to start on it back then, but I'm abaout ready now. I'll share them when I get started - they too are really pretty.

Leave a comment:

• ludwigc6
    replied
    [*]hese blocks are so cute. Do you have a pattern?http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/pos...ote&f=4&p=997#

Originally posted by Misty

Natalie taught me how to do paper piecing and I'm just so excited about my string quilt, so I had to share! Here are the first 4 blocks I've got done and I'm hoping I'll have some time soon to finish all the rest. I love it! Thanks Nat for teaching me a new skill!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X