X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Quilt

Hi everyone,

I am new to quilting and this forum.

I was just curious what everyones first quilt was.

Mine is a rag quilt that I made for my daughter (in four evenings after work) while she was away at Cispus. It was a surprise for her return.

Re: First Quilt

Very Pretty. Love the pinks.

Comment

Originally posted by EmsMom View Post
      Hi everyone,

I am new to quilting and this forum.

I was just curious what everyones first quilt was.

Mine is a rag quilt that I made for my daughter (in four evenings after work) while she was away at Cispus. It was a surprise for her return.

Your quilt looks great! My first quilt was a double nine patch. I am new to this process so I hope this works.

Comment

How pretty!
        That's one pattern I haven't tried yet and it seems that alot of people use it for their first quilt.
        My first one was a small wall hanging I made in a beginners class.

Hugs,
        TJ
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
        http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
        http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

I love your quilt. I haven't tried a rag quilt yet. My first quilt was quite an undertaking. I was watching PBS one saturday about 15 yrs ago and Eleanor Burns was just starting a "quilt-in-a-day" quilt. So I bought the book and did a block each week along with her. I Just did quilt in the ditch for the quilting. I gave it to my daughter who was about 17 at the time. I had used a flannel sheet for the back. (now I know not to do that) Last year she gave it back to me as the back had torn pretty bad and all the batting was coming out...So I took it to a long-arm quilter I know and gave her some muslin and she fixed it and requilted it with a pantogram. It turned out so beautiful and I was able to give it back to my daughter at Christmas. She was so happy to have it back, she actually cried. Well, that made me feel great.

If you can, try an Eleanor Burns Quilt-in-a-day project. Her instructions in her books are so clear. The one I started with is Quilt Block Party Series #2. You would learn so much. I also have a book of hers that I think is called "Elementary" and it has some darling blocks in it. See if your local PBS channel has her show on it too.

Happy Quilting!

Comment

Lovely lovely quilt! I haven't made a rag quilt yet either. I keep thinking that I will and when I do it will probably be out of vogue. I have never walked on the same side of the street with everyone else, so what else is new?
            My first quilt? I don't remember since I started cutting and sewing them with my Granny. It wasn't until I was adult , gee, actually much later, perhaps just a few years ago that I realized I wasnt doing things like piecing, etc the way books say to do them. So, I am in the process of re learning certain things.

I am so glad to see you here and hope you come back often!

This group is like jello: fun and always room for more.
            Sewing mends the soul.
            sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
            Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
            ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

My rag quilt was my second quilt. My first took me two years to make and I thought never again.
              But thanks to MSQC and all the great gals here I am back at it. Oh I still make rag quilts because they are so nice to cuddle under on a cold winter night or when camping but I am enjoying now the challenge of piece quilting. I am organizing my sewing room area right now and I just discovered how much fannel I have. So I have to get making some more rag quilts. I use fannel sheets I purchase from local charity stores and use them for my quilts. Saves money and helps out others at the same time.
              sigpic
              Old quilters never die, they just go batty!

Your Canadian quilting sister, Shauna

Comment

My first quilt was a fusible appliqué quilt by Nancy Halvorsen. It was the first time I'd ever done any quilting and I'm glad I jumped in at the deep end. If I'd known a little more I think I would have been too scared to try it!

It was surprisingly easy but very time consuming. I've moved on to quicker quilts now
                Quilting through the dull times
                northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Jill you first quilt is awesome!!!!
                  sigpic
                  Old quilters never die, they just go batty!

Your Canadian quilting sister, Shauna

Comment

Leave it to our JR to make the most awesome for a first quilt. Some people are in our lives just to impress us, inspire us, encourage us and keep us humble. Thanks Jillybean for all the previously mentioned. I've been wowed.
                    Sewing mends the soul.
                    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Originally posted by jrchapman View Post
                      My first quilt was a fusible appliqué quilt by Nancy Halvorsen. It was the first time I'd ever done any quilting and I'm glad I jumped in at the deep end. If I'd known a little more I think I would have been too scared to try it!

It was surprisingly easy but very time consuming. I've moved on to quicker quilts now
                      How very challenging and beautiful ....Nice job
                      One Moment at a time

Comment

Nice quilt Ems Mom. Great colors, my granddaughters favorite. Nice job.
                        JR your first one is great too. Love your quilts. Have a nice day everyone.

Jan
                        Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Thanks for all the compliments and the warm welcome! It was a lot of fun for me to make the rag quilt and it took my mind off my daughter being away for 5 days!

I love hearing about and seeing everyones quilts! I have started taping Quilt in a Day and plan to ask for one of her books for Christmas.

Comment

Ems Mom your quilt is beautiful. Love the pinks. I still haven't made a rag quilt but they sure look like fun.
                            My first quilt was in 1976 and was a Sunbonnet Sue for my newborn baby girl. I got a book at the library and did it all wrong but she loved it. Lost it last year when a fire burned down her Dad's house. I have made her quilts since so she has some more to treasure. Maybe I should make her another Sunbonnet Sue!
                            Anyway, your quilt is wonderful!
                            Patti
                            Patti
                            "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

Originally posted by patticakes View Post
                              Ems Mom your quilt is beautiful. Love the pinks. I still haven't made a rag quilt but they sure look like fun.
                              My first quilt was in 1976 and was a Sunbonnet Sue for my newborn baby girl. I got a book at the library and did it all wrong but she loved it. Lost it last year when a fire burned down her Dad's house. I have made her quilts since so she has some more to treasure. Maybe I should make her another Sunbonnet Sue!
                              Anyway, your quilt is wonderful!
                              Patti
                              Thank you Patti.

I am so sorry that your daughter's first quilt from you was lost in a fire. She would probably treasure another Sunbonnet Sue!

Comment

Working...
                              X