Flannel Baby Rag Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flannel Baby Rag Quilt

Hi Everybody! I'm a newbie here and excited to see everyone's projects and learn some neat tips for quilting. I have sewn clothes for many years but am new to quilting. I recently made my first rag quilt as a baby gift and thought it was a ton of fun! I used the leftover blocks and remnants to make a few baby accessory items to match.

BABY RAG QUILT 1.jpgBABY RAG QUILT COMPLETE PROJECT.jpgBABY RAG HAT INSIDE LINING.jpgBABY RAG QUILT COMPLETED PROJECT SM.jpg

I am now working on my first pieced quilt wall hanging and it is coming along much slower! Definitely learning how important an accurate cut piece is to the final outcome. Need to practice more with my new rulers and rotary cutters. Love all the cool videos on this site and seeing so many projects I want to try!
    Linda
    -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Re: Flannel Baby Rag Quilt

Sewbee, those all look wonderful! I love the fabrics you used, and your raggy edges look soft and fluffy. What patterns did you use for your accessories? I think it's such a cute set.
    I have always wanted a rag quilt for myself, and still have the flannels I bought, and I need to get them out and work on it, would make quite a bit of room in the closet for more stash!
    I almost didn't try quilting again because of issues with rotary cutting. But am happy to say it's going better than I could have hoped for so I don't dread having to cut fabric now.
    Lola
    :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

Originally posted by Lola2Ace View Post
      What patterns did you use for your accessories?
      Hi Lola. I only used a pattern for the hat. I used spare blocks for the pillow sham top and embroidered the baby's name on the center square. Added the pillow sham back covering using the gingham flannel with an opening for inserting the pillow. The wash cloths were just 2 flannel squares serged together, no batting in the middle. The diaper pad was a mini rag quilt that I used poly batting inside and then did some random machine quilting patterns to make it puff up a little more.

You should definitely pull out your flannel and give it a try! It really was a fun project and after all the cutting was done it went very fast. I bought enough flannel for 3 more different quilt projects and want to get back to those soon. I'm just determined to get this pieced wall hanging done first!
      Linda
      -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

Sewbee, I did make one about 5-6 yrs ago for a greatniece and just loved it. I just haven't taken the time to make mine! I think I will get it out soon and get it started, winter is heading this way and I am always cold!
        I thought that looked like serged edges, but wasn't sure exactly what they were, but what a great idea for flannel washcloths. Well, your whole set is a great idea!
        Lola
        :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

aawww sewbee these are beautiful youve done a great. I wanted to ask you how many rows you did for the length l can see its 5 width wise but could you please tell me how long it is.

I'm a rank beginner at sewing and quilting l'm doing a quilting class and l'm in the middle of doing my first quilt its hand sewn. Also trying a rag quilt on my machine with christmas prints. Anyhow thanks in advance
          "DO NOT CRITICIZE UNTIL YOU HAVE WALKED A MILE IN MY SHOES."
          :icon_heh::icon_wave::

Comment

Originally posted by Lisaau View Post
            aawww sewbee these are beautiful youve done a great. I wanted to ask you how many rows you did for the length l can see its 5 width wise but could you please tell me how long it is.
            Hi Lisa. The quilt is 7 rows long. I cut 8" squares but after sewing 0.5" seams the finished squares are 7" each, so the finished quilt was approx. 35" wide x 49" long. I had to cut 105 squares total for the quilt...35 each for the front, back and middle batting flannel. I then cut more with the remaining fabric so I could make the additional items.

A Christmas rag quilt sounds great. Warm and cozy!
            Linda

sigpic

Comment

Welcome Sewbee! Your rag quilt and other baby things are adorable! I have not tried any rag quilts yet but this sure makes me want to!
              patti
              Patti
              "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

Very cute and cuddly!!

Comment

Hi Sewbee I love the quilt you made so colourful.Welcome to the site too.
                  Quilting is good therapy.

Comment

Those frogs are soooo cute and the little hat is absolutely adorable!
                    Quilting through the dull times
                    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                    X