X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mpyles
    replied
    Re: 4 Styles of Jelly Roll Race quilts

Cute cute cute!! Jean you are such a dynamo!!

Leave a comment:

• Nidan_07
    replied

I think they all look great. Love the colours in all of them.
    One must be very pleased with how they have turned out, mustn't one??
    You've really earned your crown, Jean!!

Leave a comment:

• Jean Sewing Machine
    replied

Originally posted by GrammaBabs View Post
    Jean I think it's wonderful that the local shop is going to take advantage of your talents... so many years you have been sewing and creating and for sure you have a fabulous and friendly way of communicating with other so well... It's a win win,,, I think you truly love to share and interact with others.. and the the shop can only benefit from this... I do a lot of "strip cutting" because of the huge accumulation of fabric over the years and I just can't part with it... I bought or got it because I LOVED it then and I still do... Good for you helping others understand the value of "cutting their own strips"... Good Luck,, keep us posted..
    ps.. I'm hoping to meet you in person this year... at the retreat!!!! B
    Barb, I never got to do the class. Oh, too bad, so sad! Their loss!

Would love it if you were able to come to the retreat! We've forged so many friendships through this forum!

Leave a comment:

• GrammaBabs
    replied

Jean I think it's wonderful that the local shop is going to take advantage of your talents... so many years you have been sewing and creating and for sure you have a fabulous and friendly way of communicating with other so well... It's a win win,,, I think you truly love to share and interact with others.. and the the shop can only benefit from this... I do a lot of "strip cutting" because of the huge accumulation of fabric over the years and I just can't part with it... I bought or got it because I LOVED it then and I still do... Good for you helping others understand the value of "cutting their own strips"... Good Luck,, keep us posted..
    ps.. I'm hoping to meet you in person this year... at the retreat!!!! B

Leave a comment:

• Jean Sewing Machine
    replied

Originally posted by easyquilts View Post
    Jean.... Thank you for this information.... I am thinking of doing a JRR, using fat quarters, and needed to see what it might look like.

Do you think adding the small squares would make it look too busy?

Now that I have made one JRR2 quikt too, I want to make MORE.....and maybe experiment a little.

Thanks..
    sandy, I would just not put the square between every strip if you are doing it with fat quarters. I like the random look myself!

This one was done with JR strips but I didn't put the pop of color between each strip. Less is more in my book, especially if you use a high contrast color for the squares. I love how this one turned out.

image.jpg
    Not finished in this picture, I bordered it with the hot pink, then a black print.

Sandy, you are getting hooked, I can tell! You will soon be the new JellyRoll Queen! ( this is what the forum members called me when I was making a lot of JRR quilts).

I am working on a new tutorial on how to use the JRR technique to make Queen and King size quilts. It's videotaped and edited, just need to upload it to YouTube. That takes hours, so it may be ready for primetime tomorow.

Leave a comment:

• easyquilts
    replied

Jean.... Thank you for this information.... I am thinking of doing a JRR, using fat quarters, and needed to see what it might look like.

Do you think adding the small squares would make it look too busy?

Now that I have made one JRR2 quikt too, I want to make MORE.....and maybe experiment a little.

Thanks..

Leave a comment:

• emmy
    replied

I googled jelly roll quilts, clicked on images and there are some wonderful jr quilts with and without the squares.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Revay
    replied

Thank you for your user notes. You have so much knowledge. Thank you for sharing with all of us.

Leave a comment:

• Jean Sewing Machine
    replied

Originally posted by lilmouse View Post
    Sorry Jean, I never saw your second post to me until today....I always make my JR's with the added square block in a co ordinating color and it always looks good...I don't add one to the last strip as it will end up on the edge and get cut when trimming. They turn out awesome and everyone likes them...am currently sewing down the binding on one now that I did out of last years shop hop JR that was designed for Wisconsin.....I used gold for the squares on that one....lots of the colors remind me of autumn so I went with the solid gold color....and I love it....I also added a narrow brown border (2") and a wider gold border (2.5") and it came out a nice size...haven't measured it to see but it about covers the top of my full size bed......how did yours turn out with the black and white and hot pink...bet it is pretty!
    I show it in the first segment of my jelly roll race tutorial. It is really pretty big for a lap quilt, nearly 70" long and at least 60" wide. Link to tutorial in my user notes.

Leave a comment:

• HdWench
    replied

oh I LOVE seeing Jelly Roll quilts -- they are SO fast and easy to make, then surprise you when they are done. Yes a real crown for Jean!!

In her user Notes there is a How to make them Queen size - I've been collecting enough Jelly Rolls for this as I want it for ME (my 2nd keeper hahah).

The only "semi" challenge is keeping your strips from flipping during sewing the 1st long stretch! Unsewing ranks up there with hand sewing for me :-0

Binding, the easiest way is to do like Jean said.. leave the beginning and when you get to the end, just lay them down and figure out where to cut to make the same 45 angle like you did when first putting them together. I leave myself about 3" of room on both sides so I can sew/iron/cut then finish. Also for me, it's easier to sew the binding on the back 1st, then use a decorative stitch on the front so I don't miss hitting the back side!

Oh Lil, thanks! Yes someone showed a Jelly Roll with a nice square added at the end of each strip - I'd love to see a photo of yours as this idea is very appealing to give it even more Pizzaz!

Leave a comment:

• lilmouse
    replied

Sorry Jean, I never saw your second post to me until today....I always make my JR's with the added square block in a co ordinating color and it always looks good...I don't add one to the last strip as it will end up on the edge and get cut when trimming. They turn out awesome and everyone likes them...am currently sewing down the binding on one now that I did out of last years shop hop JR that was designed for Wisconsin.....I used gold for the squares on that one....lots of the colors remind me of autumn so I went with the solid gold color....and I love it....I also added a narrow brown border (2") and a wider gold border (2.5") and it came out a nice size...haven't measured it to see but it about covers the top of my full size bed......how did yours turn out with the black and white and hot pink...bet it is pretty!

Leave a comment:

• Lisapc
    replied

I never get tired of looking at these. Great example how fabric and quilting can change the whole look of a pattern.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Revay
    replied

Can you make a queen size quilt with the jelly rolls? If so, do you know how many JR's it would take to make a queen size quilt? I loved looking at your quilts. They are beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• SweetTea
    replied

Thank you! Sleep tight

Leave a comment:

• Jean Sewing Machine
    replied

Originally posted by SweetTea View Post
    Miss Jean, that is exactly how I trimmed it! Yay Me!!! After tonight I know I need another 24" mat. If I hadn't had your tutorial, I never would have made it through this. Now to cut my binding. Do you have a tutorial on how to match the ends of the binding once it is sewn on and have it lay flat and pretty? This is one of my biggest challenges. I want you to know....YOU ROCK!!!! Thank you so much!
    No, my jelly roll tutorial got too long and I didn't get to include that part. I think that needs a whole seperate tutorial, because I struggle with this also.

When you sew on your binding, start about 12" from one corner, leaving about a 6-8" tail of binding loose, stop at least 12" from here you started attaching your binding, then here's what I do.

I just use my ruler with a 45 degree angle on it. Cut one end of the loose tail on the 45 deg. Angle. Lay this end inside the folds of the other end so they lay smoothly on the quilt. Mark the uncut end 1/2" beyond the end of the cut end on both edges of the binding. This will give you the fabric needed for a 1/4" seam to sew the ends together. Cut the uncut end on a 45 degree angle, lining up your marks with the angle on the ruler. Then sew the two ends together, finger press the seam open, refold it, and line up the binding edge with the quilt edge and sew it down.

That's how I do it. Works pretty good for me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X