Before & After or Oh Yes I Did :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before & After or Oh Yes I Did :)

For those of you who didn't know, my sewing machine was making a whiny, squeaky kind of noise yesterday. It is a cheap little Brother manual machine that I have had for years. It is however the machine that I have made dozens of quilts on over the years. Any way, I have been kicking around the idea of getting a new machine. Nothing fancy, but maybe a little upgrade. I don't need a big expensive machine. Not sure I would buy one that would take me forever to figure out how to work it, if I could afford it. I had been looking at this Brother Quilting machine at Wal Mart. $200. Only looking though because I didn't 'need' it. Well when my old, and tired machine started making noises yesterday, I was sick. I really didn't want to spend ANY money on a new machine, but couldn't justify spending as much to get it fixed as it originally cost. But after much talking with myself, the 3 of us, me, myself, and I decided to just do it. So I take myself to WM to maybe get the new machine. Sitting right next to the one I was 'looking' at was a Singer that also had tons of stitches, also had an extension table, and a hard cover, that was $10 less than the Brother. Now the Brother had more accessories, that I didn't really need, cuz I already have all the feet I use. But the Singer had a bigger throat. Decisions, decisions. So I get Linda, the department manager, and guru of all things crafty and sewing, to give me her opinion. She was also impressed by the throat of the Singer. Then she did something unexpected. She picked them both up, and gave me her opinion. The Singer. She said it had more 'meat'. So that was it. With shaking hands I put the box in my cart, and wheeled up to the checkout. By now I am so stressed, my hot flashes are coming in waves. But I did it. I actually bought something for myself, that is all mine. I was so excited had to stop by DD's to show her, and La La. She had to fake her enthusiasm, cuz she just doesn't get excited over such things. So that is about the end of my tale, Took me an hour to get it threaded properly and the bobbin put in correctly. Don't know why it took me so long. Guess I was just nervous playing with my new toy. The one on the left is my old one. You can't really tell the difference in the throat space but it is significant.
    Attached Files
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
    sigpic

Re: Before & After or Oh Yes I Did

Congrats!

Hang on to your Brother, piece some things with it. Let it rest. See if the noise goes away. I say this because my Pfaff was making a little squealy noise after I did the FMQ on the double slice layer cake quilt. It's not now. I think the poor thing was just in shock.
    K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Well, congrats on your new toy -- and congrats on doing something for yourself! Enjoy.

Ginny B
      Ginny B
      Levittown, NY

Comment

Good for you. I say if you wanted it,needed it, you should have gone for it! You won't be sorry. Enjoy it.I always feel guilty about buying myself "new" anything. I work all the time and always settle for something cheaper and used. You have a great night sewing.YOU GO GIRL!!!

Comment

Awesome for you!!!
          sigpic
          2013 = God's continued grace, healthy friends and family, and many wonderful sewing projects :icon_wave:
          Jeanette

Comment

There is nothing more exciting than buying yourself a new sewing machine after years using an older one! I did the same thing last year and have been loving my new one! Have fun!

Comment

Oh what fun!! Good for you and feel good about it, it wasnt one of those spur of the moment buys, so no guilt. I like what Karen said about keeping your Brother machine. Maybe it will stop and you can use it for piecing or something not so big. There have been times I wished I had one machine with one thread color and another with a different color and not have to change it out mid project.
              Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

So happy for you! I hope you enjoy your new machine!!

Comment

Yea to Marilyn for treating herself to a new machine! God knows that many more quilts will be made by her and many, many babies and children will have smiles on their faces and something warm wrapped around them.
                  sigpic Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Comment

I haven't tried just piecing with it again, but am going to. I cleaned it real well, and sewed a couple pieces and wasn't making the noise, but as soon as I tried to quilt it did it again, and when I was putting on the binding, so I just finished the binding on the front and hand sewed it to the back. I would be happy if I could just piece with it.
                    Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                    Congrats!

Hang on to your Brother, piece some things with it. Let it rest. See if the noise goes away. I say this because my Pfaff was making a little squealy noise after I did the FMQ on the double slice layer cake quilt. It's not now. I think the poor thing was just in shock.
                    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                    sigpic

Comment

Good for you....sometimes you have to do something for yourself! And just think about how many more quilts you will be able to produce because you bought a new machine....congrats..

Comment

Good for you for buying something for yourself. We sew so much, we deserve dependable machines.
                        I pray when risen from the dead before the Lord I stand; perhaps a crown upon my head, but with a needle in my hand.

Becki

Comment

I am so happy for you! I have a singer confidence and it's great. Have fun with it.

Comment

Way to go sis. I can't wait to see it when you come down to visit. We will be sewing fools.
                            "Our Lord has written the promise of resurrection, not in books alone, but in every leaf in springtime." Martin Luther (founder of the Lutheran Church)

Comment

I'm so happy for you Marilyn...you deserve to have a new machine...you make so many quilts and need something reliable...why is it that we feel guilty for getting something for ourselves? Because we love to give and not receive, I think....
                              I would like to have a machine with a bigger throat area...maybe my next one...lol...I can't let my dh know that I said that....lol
                              congrats again
                              Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X