• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Astatoo
    The Guild President
    • Sep 2017

HELP

I am testing some recipes for a friend who is working on changing "old timey" recipes into user friendly recipes for today's cooks and kitchens. The one I am currently working on calls for 1 cup of "thick cream sauce" what would you use if you ran across this term? It needs to be mixed with mashed sweet potatoes and a few other ingredients then rolled into walnut size balls for frying. I know just using heavy cream will make it too runny to roll into balls.

Beth
    Happiness is a FULL bobbin!
  • GuitarGramma
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2012

Re: HELP

Sounds like a creamy roux to me: some butter, some flour, some cream, heavy on the flour.

I Can't eat cream or flour anymore, so I have to tell you, THAT SOUNDS DELICIOUS!
    Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Astatoo
      The Guild President
      • Sep 2017

Thanks Toni, that is what I was thinking but the recipe does not call for butter or flour but does have salt & pepper listed. Also has almond paste so I think they will be almost dessert like.

Beth
      Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
        Missouri Star
        • Oct 2013

When I made cream sauce for croquettes I used 3T flour, 3T butter, heated it together and added 1C cream or milk. Heat and stir till thickened

I'd then mix it in with the sweet potatoes and other stuff then refrigerate it for a half hour or more then roll it into the balls for frying.
        I would guess you could even freeze the balls for frying later but not sure.
        https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
        Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          Missouri Star
          • Aug 2015

I have cooked cauliflower and mashed it up with enough of the cooking liquid to get the consistency you want.

I have used it as a substitute for cream in soups and seafood chowders. Mostly because someone in the group is lactose intolerant or vegan.
          Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

Working...
          X