Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK, What's cooking in your house for Christmas Dinner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OK, What's cooking in your house for Christmas Dinner?

Terry, how do you cook your venison tenderloin? My mom made a venison roast once that was fabulous! I didn't know it was venison, thought it was roast beef. She said she used vinegar in the cooking of it? It was delicious.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Christmas eve we always go to DS#1 and DDIL for the feast of the seven fishes (DIL is italian)...we eat until we can barely roll out the door. Then this year both of our sons and their families are coming over here for a brunch/luncheon. Menu is still being bandied about - but so far I know Chicken salad, Oysters Rockafeller, fruit salad. I'm trying to come up with recipes that I can make ahead of time so we don't have to spend the day in the kitchen and can enjoy the kids and grands.

Comment

We have Christmas Eve dinner at our home...I am making lasagna...I made my sauce and meatballs last week and put it in the freezer...we also order fried chicken...my daughter in laws will bring cheesy potatoes and a salad...we have nut rolls and cookies for dessert...after dinner, we open our gifts...then on to church....any leftovers, we take to our daughters' on Christmas Day...her boyfriend usually makes prime rib or a ham...
        Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Comment

My friend is making his delicious pumpkin bread recipe. He makes it each year and brings it over for Christmas. We're looking forward to it!

Comment

This sounds delicious, much like the one DIL gave us last year. I told her we really enjoyed it and she confessed she didn't make it, it was a gift from a co-worker. I already knew that because 1st she doesn't bake or making anything and 2nd, she left the co-workers gift tag on the bread.

Comment

I am working till 7 pm Christmas Eve and we are having five extra people for dinner, so dh is making a ham and mashed potatoes bc it is pretty hard to mess that up. My 3 dd will each bring a dish to pass. Christmas morning will be my dh and I and our 3 dd and 3 gd, so it will be late morning breakfast brunch of eggs, pancakes, bacon, you know the usual. And maybe some Mimosas. And Kringle which is a local pastry, so delicious.

Comment

Seafood Gumbo, Brown steamed rice and Monkey Bread
                bjsmith57

Comment

Originally posted by bjsmith57 View Post
                  Seafood Gumbo, Brown steamed rice and Monkey Bread
                  Can I come?? I love any kind of gumbo!! And I never had monkey bread.

Comment

jjkaiser, My mom used to make 4 kinds of kringle for her Christmas brunch. All us kids had our favorite flavor. Then there were all the trimmings, that come with brunch. Too late now, but I wish that I would have helped prepare instead of eat, It is a lot of work. Do you make your own Kringle? Mom used to make enough for everyone to have some to take home. YUM Think I'm going to add that to the menu at my house. I always make ham and the trimmings for the meal and snacky things to much on. Vegetable pizza is a good and fairly easy appetizer to make. I have to make 2 jelly roll pans of it, with very little leftovers. I tell myself that it is a "healthy" snack!!

Comment

Home made Kringle? Wow I have never made it but I bet it would be awesome. We get the O & H Kringle made in Racine. Are you in Wisconsin? Most people outside the state don't know what Kringle even is. Almond is my favorite.

Comment

No food being cooked by me this year. DH has to work everyday until Christmas Day. Neither of our very dysfunctional families do anything so it's always been just us. So DH & I always spend the holiday doing what works for us. This year we are going to Bob Evans on Christmas Eve and the Waffle House on Christmas Day. Some years I fix the two of us a huge feast and some years we go to whatever restaurant is open. No pressure and no stress!
                        :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

jjkaiser, I was raised in Racine and spent much of my adult life there, now we live in Kenosha 10 miles south of O & H. So I'm close to my desire for Kringle. I do make mine from scratch and my favorite is Pineapple and pecan, of course I eat them all so picking a favorite is hard. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Patty J View Post
                            jjkaiser, I was raised in Racine and spent much of my adult life there, now we live in Kenosha 10 miles south of O & H. So I'm close to my desire for Kringle. I do make mine from scratch and my favorite is Pineapple and pecan, of course I eat them all so picking a favorite is hard. LOL
                            You've peaked my curiosity, what is Kringle?
                            If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

We have already had our traditional Prime Rib Dinner because my sister was home at Thanksgiving. Besides the usual mashed potatoes, we always have "Must Have Salad" ( a Gooseberry Patch) recipe and Blue Cheese Green Bean casserole.

"Must Have Salad" ( I agree with using less sugar in the dressing. My DD made some with Monk Fruit sweetener to go along with her diet and my cousins diabetic needs.)

http://leavingthelighton.com/recipe/...-recipe-salad/

This is a similar recipe for the green beans except ours calls for a pinch nutmeg instead of cayenne.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23...d-blue-cheese/
                              Donna

Comment

I love these questions so I can read all the yummy food you all plan. My fiancé and I switch off every year. This year I went to his house for Thanksgiving so he comes to mine for Christmas. This year on Christmas Eve I am making a shrimp steamer pot with potatoes, corn, smoked sausage and whatever other seafood I can find to put in it, but at least shrimp. So simple and so good. Christmas will be a standing rib roast with roasted root veggies, Brussel sprouts cheesy casserole with bacon, deviled eggs and celebratory olive tray. Apple pie and pecan pie for dessert or whenever we have room for them.

Usually my sons and families come over the Saturday after New Years for our Christmas celebration. I refuse to have my sons be the prize in a tug-of-war between their in-laws and me. The wife needs to be kept happy anyway. So, they do what they want on Christmas and I get to have them all to myself on our special day. On that day we have some really yummy sandwiches that are different every year, crab dip, deviled eggs, celebratory olive tray (again) and other finger foods with pie. All complete with happy and relaxed faces.
                                Theda :icon_wave:

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
                                "Carlie Rae" - Babylock Crescendo

Comment

Working...
                                X