Today is national popcorn day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today is national popcorn day!

We celebrated with good ole fashioned kernels popped on the stove!
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Re: Today is national popcorn day!

I love popcorn!
    Rescued is my favorite breed.

Comment

I love popcorn, but I'm too full to start a bag.
      Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
      ― Maya Angelou

Comment

I love popcorn, too, but since I developed Type 2 Diabetes, I rarely eat it anymore. I really have to watch the carbs.

Comment

I eat it almost daily and have some earlier today. Many years ago I was in a serious car accident that left me with debilitating migraines, several times a day. I read in a Readers Digest that there was a study done and if you ate popcorn everyday it would keep migraines at bay. I started and after a couple months they most disappeared. I would still get them occasionally, but not several in a day. Since I retired, they are practically nonexistent, so I'm sure the stress of 911 had a lot to do with it.
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

The best popcorn is from Garrett's ... the Chicago mix is the best!

Comment

I pop my own on the stove top using coconut oil.....to die for! Tastes likes its buttered, but it's not! Made 6 batches yesterday. Since it's made with coconut oil, it keeps in freezer bags in the cupboard for a couple weeks! Delicious!
              💫 Star lover

Comment

Originally posted by Star lover View Post
                I pop my own on the stove top using coconut oil.....to die for! Tastes likes its buttered, but it's not! Made 6 batches yesterday. Since it's made with coconut oil, it keeps in freezer bags in the cupboard for a couple weeks! Delicious!
                So there is something about coconut oil that makes it stay fresher? I never heard that before. I have some in the pantry and will try that out!

I sometimes put some plain kernels in a paper sack and use the microwave after I heard how bad microwave popcorn is so bad for you
                Lorie

Comment

Lorie...
                  Movie theaters back in the early 90's substituted virgin coconut oil for butter on their popcorn. Butter turned rancid quicker and they could make popcorn up before hand and have it last longer.
                  Enter.....the downers.
                  There's much controversy and who and why, but all kinds of claims came out about the evils of coconut oil. So theatres stopped using it and now use ??????.
                  The thing is to use extra virgin coconut oil. The fats, are better for you (like oilive oil) in moderate amounts. Can't go hog wild!
                  The coconut oil gives you that theater flavor without butter.

Truth time. I always hated HATED popcorn, until.......a few years ago. My DH LOVES popcorn and always bugged me to make it. My mom could live on popcorn! So we were all sitting around, my mom had made popcorn and her and DH were going on about it. So I thought I'd try. It was better than I thought.

My mom lives in NC. So when we returned, I thought OK, I'll make some, used coconut oil and have never looked back! YUM! Now I can live on it......well almost!
                  💫 Star lover

Comment

I didn't know microwave popcorn is bad for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nwmnteacher View Post
                      I didn't know microwave popcorn is bad for you.
                      From the web.....

A report from the FDA indicates that a chemical coating used in microwave popcorn bags breaks down when heated into a substance called perfluorooctanoic (PFOA). The Environmental Protection Agency has identified PFOA as a “likely carcinogen.” Another study has found an acid that can be extracted from the chemical causes cancer in animals and is “likely to cause cancer in humans.”
                      💫 Star lover

Comment

I knew that. I use a glass bowl with a plate for a lid. Works fine.
                        TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

When I pop mine on the stove, I use butter flavored Crisco, the popcorn, I put salt in (before popping) and about 1/2 teaspoon of water (it makes the popcorn fluffy).....I've made it that was for almost 50 years. Well, maybe not with the butter flavor Crisco, because it wasn't out then, but following the same recipe but with oil. The butter Crisco makes it taste like it's buttered without the extra greasiness.
                          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

You'd be surprised but the coconut oil gives a butter flavor.....NO coconut flavor.....at all! And no greasiness. Well, unless you add a bucket load.....don't know, have never tried.
                            But hands down homemade is far superior (IMHO) to anything microwaved.
                            💫 Star lover

Comment

I had no idea about adding water to the pot. I will try that. The latest bag of popcorn I bought, the popped kernels are kind of tough.
                              I also will try using coconut oil rather than peanut oil. I have some butter flavored salt that I bought years ago, that is still good.

Comment

Working...
                              X