Going Vegan help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Going Vegan help

I'm going to disagree on the beef or pork or any other mammal. I was at a soccer match and there was a dish someone made of all meats. When I said I don't eat that she said how do you stay alive? I was insulted. There are plenty of non animal proteins.
    Lorie
    🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

My massage therapist has been a vegetarian for many years. Not sure if she's vegan. She's doing just fine & her blood levels all are good. I eat 7 eggs a week--one every morning for breakfast. DH has 2 scrambled eggs every a.m. IMO, eggs are not the bugaboo they were made out to be some years ago. They are a good source of protein. I buy Egglands eggs; the chickens are fed a vegetarian diet. I used to get eggs from someone who raised their own chickens. But I quit getting theirs when I learned the chickens were fed table scraps, which included meat.

Comment

I think it is ignorant for doctors to tell all their patients with high cholesterol the exact same thing. We all have different genetic makeups, and what works for one person doesn't always work for their neighbor.

Case in point:

I have an acquaintance who was diagnosed 25 years ago with high cholesterol, over 300. Her doctor put her on the typical high-cholesterol diet - no red meat, no eggs, etc. She was also put on statins. Her numbers went down a little, but not much. They adjusted her meds for a while, but she was never able to get down below 260 or so. She eventually gave up and figured this was just the way it was going to be, medication for the rest of her life.
        Fast forward 25 years, she developed a rash on her hands and arms. Went to doctor after doctor after doctor, trying to figure out what was causing it. Each doctor treated it with pills, creams and/or salves but never addressed what was actually causing it. She got fed up with traditional doctors, quit taking her medications (the lotions and statins), and made an appointment to see a naturopath. The naturopath ran a few tests and told her that she SHOULD be eating lean red meats, eggs, clarified butter (ghee), and many other things her doctors had told her not to eat. In addition, she should NOT be eating potatoes, tomatoes, breads or pastas, corn, but rice was ok. Within weeks her rashes had disappeared, she lost 25 pounds, and her cholesterol went down to 210!!

Some people are allergic to peanuts. Others cannot tolerate dairy. Certain perfumes smell wonderful on my friend, but awful on me. Why do doctors think that there is one broad answer for everyone with the same condition? We are all different and I think it's wise to consult with a nutritionist. Might not hurt to experiment for yourself with your diet and see what works best for you.

p.s. Instead of cutting out all red meat, try grass-fed. My husband and son went hunting and brought home bison meat. It's much leaner than beef, is free-range and grass fed, and absolutely delicious. If you have to source grass-fed beef locally, be aware that a lot of farmers/ranchers will raise their herd as grass-fed, but right before processing the beef, they will fatten the herd on grain for a couple of weeks. Do your research and make sure you get true grass-fed beef.
        Last edited by Peggi; November 21st, 2017, 12:01 AM.

Comment

I grew up in a vegetarian household. No meat was allowed in the house. Vegetables, beans, lentils, roots and nuts offer so many healthy and flavorful choices. I ate chicken only a couple of times a year - when we were at a lavish wedding or a fancy party. My mom and sister are still vegetarians.

I love vegetables and love cooking with them. I have a recipe for a sweet potato black bean chilli - so flavorful that you don't even realize it is vegan. Mostly, I cook with instinct - no recipes.
          Sylvia has been experimenting with lots of new recipes including lentils. She'd be happy to guide you too.
          I understand that for someone who grew up in a typical American (meat heavy) household, the change may be difficult but it is worth the effort.
          Preeti
          http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

My two cents. I think you should talk to your doctor and do what he says. We are all different. I wouldn't want you to make changes that caused you to have other problems.

After mom had open heart surgery her doctor gave her a list of foods that he approved. He had her cut out all meats except for fish and ever so often chicken. She had great success for years . Then for some reason she became so anemic that she started having nose bleeds and other problems . Her doctor at the time told her to eat meat in moderation. This was back in the late 1980's. We have so many more healthy food choices now and so much more is known about good nutrition.

Good luck to you and please speak with your doctor.
            Last edited by TMP; December 1st, 2017, 10:43 AM.

Comment

As Preeti mentioned, I am experimenting with many new recipes. About two years ago, I started a regime of eating vegetarian at least 3 days of the week. The other days, I allowed one meal that included a meat. I did not follow this religiously, but it was a good transition to a more meatless diet. Recently, I have been looking into what is called 'whole food, plant based', which is even a step past vegan, as no processed food is used (such as vegan cheese). Again, I will be starting this as a part of my diet. I came across this website that provided 4 weeks of free menus, and it might be helpful to you. It is also budget friendly. The one thing this menu list does not include are many salads. That is something I would add to some of the meals. I know you are looking for cookbooks, but if you take a look at some of these meal plans, you will get some good ideas that you can incorporate into your diet.

http://plantbasedonabudget.com/free-meal-plans/

There is also another website that provided a weekly meal plan, and very detailed instructions - shopping list, precooking (batching) instructions. But it does cost $20/month. They do provide a free week menu, which you might like to download to your computer. There is also a blog that has many free recipes. This site is called "Clean Food, Dirty Girl". There is language that is offensive to some people, so you would have to decide if you can accept/overlook that, or not.

As I transition to a different way of eating, I really like having a menu provided, so I don't have to spend hours pouring over recipes. I don't mind eating the same thing for 2 or even 3 meals. But I don't want to eat the same thing week after week. If I can help in any other way, please let me know.
              If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I am following, as we want to eat healthier. DH has so many food allergies, and many fruits and some veggies. A few in our family are strict vegan, so really difficult to follow when preparing family meals. Others will go non-vegan for holidays, but watch what they eat. Then I have a few who are gluten-free, nut free, non-dairy, nut free, and other allergies, it makes it difficult to make family meals, so I have been cutting back. Other than soups which I do quite well vegan, I'm at a loss. Thank God, they all drink wine.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Do you like Indian food? I eat mostly vegan these days. I really like vegetarian curry. You can do your own thing adding veggies. I add onions, potato, cauliflower, peas. I put it on rice usually. It freezes down well. Just look up the recipe on line and you can make it as spicy as you like. Personally I don’t like it spicy. It has coconut milk and yogurt in it and you can always cool it down with more sour cream. Good luck.

Comment

I also struggle with RA. I haven't heard of the Forks over Knives cook book but would like to give it a try due to your sisters recomendation. When I was diagnosed I was put on steroids for months also a chemo medication. I have stopped all of that but there have been lingering effects. Thanks for sharing the info. Gretchen

Comment

Working...
                    X