Going Vegan help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going Vegan help

Due to extremely high cholesterol and having no desire to have a heart attack I feel it's best for me to go as vegan as I possibly can.

I have spent 62 years eating bacon, sausage, meatloaf, wings, pork chops and loving every bite (please no lectures on how animals are treated).

I'm good with soy yogurt, almond milk, oatmeal, apples and almond butter for breakfast.

I get stuck with what to eat the rest of the day. I love veggies but am thinking I will get really bored cycling through the same foods each week.

I checked out a couple of cookbooks from the library and it was completely overwhelming. The recipes had 20 ingredients and lots of those ingredients where really expensive items.

I'm on a tiny retirement budget so shopping at Whole Foods each week just can't happen.

I have surfed the web for a couple of weeks now but that just drove me nuts. I have an old, slow internet connection and computer with no way to save recipes and also no way to print them out.

I'm hoping for some suggestions of a couple of simple and easy cookbooks that I might find at the local library or on Amazon.

Thanks!
    :icon_happy:

sigpic

Re: Going Vegan help

Your goal is to reduce your cholesterol, hopefully without resorting to medications which has really bad side effects. In order to achieve your goal the goal should be realistic and achievable.

So I would like to contribute some simpler solutions than going vegan.

First cut out all red meat, and that includes pork products. Replace with poultry products, and do not fry them. My favorite chicken product is Never Any Chicken Sausage. My favorite flavors are Spinach and Feta and Italian Style. If you have an Aldis grocery store they are very reasonably priced there, less expensive than Walmart. Aldis has the BEST yogurt. It doesn't leave that chalky after taste in your mouth. I also love their cranberry almond chicken salad.

I know you said you had problems with a slow internet connection and older computer without a printer, but I would still like to recommend this website for cooking ideas. She includes the price per recipe and serving, and has in process photos of each step of the cooking process. Nothing exotic or expensive.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/

Stay healthy so you can keep quilting. Good luck
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Agree with what Denise recommends. No more red meat, ever. It's been more than 10 years since I had red meat and I don't miss it. Also, no packaged processed food. Full of sugar, and that's part of your problem. You can eat relatively inexpensively with a plant based diet. And you will develop a new set of recipes for regular rotation that you like. It just takes some time to do that, so don't be hard on yourself! Use your local library. I get it that you don't have a good internet connection, but you can get great information free there. In fact, Mark Bittman has released a 10th anniversary edition of his classic cookbook, How To Cook Everything Vegetarian. I'll bet your library is getting that book. I'm on the waiting list for it already!

Comment

My sister went "plant based" to help combat her rheumatoid arthritis, as the meds would have a 99% chance of triggering a recurrence of her lymphoma.
        She has used the cookbook by Forks Over Knives with a great deal of success. She has provided meals for family events and we have all eaten them and not missed the meat. Our favorite is the lasagna! I have made some of the recipes and not found the ingredients too hard to source, or that expensive. She has indicated that some of the more unusual items of some of the recipes she has found can often be found in ethic food stores for less than more traditional grocery stores.
        She also signed up for a weekly menu service at first. It is run by a dietician and has a weeks worth of recipes and the meal plan to balance your nutrition. She said it helped her a lot while she was trying to figure out how to balance all of the nutritional elements. If you are interested I can ask her what it was.
        I don't know if you have them in your area, but we have stores here with bulk food sections. It is a great place to buy just enough of an item to make one recipe to see if you like it. Remember to write down how much you need next to the item so you can eyeball it.
        Good luck on your journey to better health!
        Last edited by toggpine; November 19th, 2017, 12:05 PM.
        Be who you are and say what you feel
        because those who mind don't matter,
        and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I'm not vegan because I eat seafood and poultry, but veggies don't have to be boring. Here is a beefless stew

http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/2...beefless-stew/

Some books on vegetarian and vegan crockpot cooking

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=25QZ4YHUU5G4B

Here is my Pinterest page with lot's of veggie dishes.

https://www.pinterest.com/loriearii/food/
          Lorie
          🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

The suggestions above sound good to me. I recall one of my sisters going vegan because of her husbands heart problems which were severe. She chose to do it too. She found after awhile she started having some problems although initially I recall her saying she had more energy. She's an avid reader and loves researching on the internet. She eventually did not go total vegan and if I recall properly it was due to certain cumulative problems a percentage of vegans developed. I don't recall what it was though. So while adjusting your diet you may want to also research some of the pitfalls some vegans have encountered or at least be aware of them so you can keep watch as to how it does and doesn't effect you. Just a thought :-)
            https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
            Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

After reading all the comments I think I'll make an appointment with the nutritionist at my doctor's office. I have a problem with keeping my vitamin D and B-12 level up and don't want to make that worse. Thank you for all your comments and suggestions.

sigpic

Comment

Quite a few years ago, I heard Dr. Neal Barnard on the radio. I bought his book, EAT RIGHT, LIVE LONGER & jumped on the vegetarian band wagon. There's a fairly large section in the back of his book with menus & recipes. We noticed an improvement after giving up red meat -- namely, fewer joint aches. We did not eliminate chicken, turkey, or fish. I love my cheese, but I drink soy milk. (And there are controversies about soy, too.) However, it was not a way of eating that we could sustain. Vegetarian diets are high in carbs -- not something I should have, since I have Type 2 Diabetes. Many of the meat substitutes are processed foods & have chemicals in them that we did not want to consume. One has to be a religious label reader! Many items contain "natural flavor" which usually means it contains MSG -- my husb. is very allergic to MSG. There are many other hidden sources of MSG in foods; they're in chemical names you might not recognize or know what's in it. You need to know what's in the food you're eating. Somewhere on this Forum I posted info. about Hidden Sources of MSG & listed all those chemical names. Good luck with your food choices.

Addendum: The list is in WendyI's post of Aug. 26, 2014 -- "Can't stand to be in my own skin right now."
                Last edited by JCY; November 19th, 2017, 03:41 PM. Reason: Additional info.

Comment

I love lentils and they are cheap. I use them as a substitute for ground beef in sloppy joes, tacos, and chili.
                  Rescued is my favorite breed.

Comment

Originally posted by baskets4deb View Post
                    I love lentils and they are cheap. I use them as a substitute for ground beef in sloppy joes, tacos, and chili.
                    I love lentils too! I was just looking up some recipes this morning!
                    Lorie
                    🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

I agree with others to limit red meats and processed foods such as sausage, bacon, etc. Lean pork these days is almost like chicken. But I would caution you to be careful and get enough protein. As we age, we lose muscle and that can be one of the reasons for falls among the elderly. My short story is that I stopped eating meats and became almost a vegan, I got so weak, that I could not put on my clothes without leaning against something, fell numerous times, and generally lost all muscle (not just tone but actual muscle)and strength. Changed my diet to include more protein rich foods, starting strength training with a trainer, improved my overall health and my cholesterol is right where it needs to be.
                      Excellent idea to check with your doctor before making any extreme changes.

Comment

Wow, mmmmm, when my DH was diagnosed with diabetes we went in an entirely different direction........ so I'm the odd ball.
                        We eat meat...any kind and tons of fruit and veggies. BUT, what we did differently was all our meat is free range, grass fed. Fruit, eggless are organic. We completely eliminated all vegetable oils (safflower, corn, etc), potatoes, corn and anything refined or processed. We also have really restricted sugar, no refined sugar. Honey, real maple syrup and then only small amounts and rarely. After 2 weeks of not eating sugar (gosh I went nuts thinking about it though).... I don't even miss it or think about it now.

As for oil. I only use olive oil, butter (or ghee), coconut oil and .....waiting for it.....lard! Yeah I know....but it's grass fed and I don't use it often. Butter is from grass fed cows.

I use coconut oil mostly for making our "candy." Well I call it candy...cause it's sooooo good. Only has flaked coconut, coconut oil, almond butter and after prepared, dipped in dark chocolate...and if I'm feeling generous, a dash of flaked salt......oh my gosh....to die for!

Following a kinda pseudo paleo diet, my DH no longer has diabetes and we have lost tons of weight, have high energy and feel better than we had in the past 10 years!

That's us, it works for us. If I had to go vegan.....I would curl up and almost die. No bacon! That would be just be sad....so very sad....

We've even eating this way for about 3 years now. Still feel great, weight is fantastic and we eat so much variety that earing is fun!

Just throwing this out there......not trying to push my way onto anyone.....

Hope you figure out what works for you and you feel better soon!
                        Last edited by Star lover; November 20th, 2017, 04:42 AM.
                        💫 Star lover

Comment

Anita ( Starlover) I haven't eaten margarine in years. Our Chiropractor has meetings in his office about what is best for your body etc. I only eat butter....I don't use anything but coconut oil and olive oil for cooking certain things....but a bottle of olive oil will last a long time in my house! I don't eat any type of salad dressings either....only just a small amount of vinegar or lemon juice on my salads.
                          I don't eat red meat except on occasion I will have a small steak, although it's been about 18 months since I have even done that.
                          We eat mainly veggies and salads, and chicken ( broiled or baked never fried ) I love Broccoli, Califlower, carrots, beets, etc. My mom loved the fact that as a kid I loved all the veggies that most kids won't touch. ( Actually my younger sis only eats Peas & Corn for veggies, loves ham, pork chops, steak, and pasta, and she has a lot of health issues and is grossly over-weight. She always raves about the food I put on our table and asks for recipes, although I doubt very much that she cooks that way at home. Her two daughters are also over weight and eat pretty much like their mom does.

I am always willing to try certain things. My DH Terry was diagnosed as a type II diabetic in 1990...and he kept his diabetes in check by eating right....that man never cheated on his diet. I think the reason why he did so well is that he gradually went into the diet...it took us 4-5 weeks to do, but after that time, he said "Don't give me anything that isn't on that diet...no matter what I ask for! " I stuck to the diet...and I cooked our family meals according to the what Registered Dietitian told us to do.She had some awesome recipes that she gave us. I did add a few extra things for the kids at first, but as the kids got older they just ate what we ate. ( I took a class with Terry when he was diagnosed) from 1990 until his death in 2002, his primary doctor was completely amazed at the fact that he was never put on meds...that he did this all with diet alone!
                          My advice to anyone that is going on a life changing diet due to a new health issue is to do what my DH Terry did...don't jump right into a new diet.....do it gradually....Keep a calendar on what you are doing, and reward yourself ( Terry wanted his reward to be something about his model trains.....each week he would purchase something he wanted for his model train obsession....(he belonged to the local model train club here in Jackson)
                          I have continued to cook just as I did when Terry was alive. I had gotten used to the diabetic diet....in fact I was diagnosed as a gestational diabetic when I was pregnant for my son who was born in 1986. When he was born, the condition went away, and I was told that within 5 yrs, the diabetes would return.....and that wasn't true ! My diabetic condition didn't return until 2014....28 yrs later. I was put on meds for awhile.....and then was taken back off due to the fact that I was controlling it with the diet...(I think I was on the meds for 6-8 months, I would have to look at my records to be sure)
                          I have friends that turn their noses up at my way of eating.....but I don't have high Cholesterol or a lot of other medical issues......and my BP issues are the result of being in a lot of pain....and I do take meds for that. ( my doctor was amazed at the diet I use, which convinced him that the BP issues were due to the pain issues I endure. Of course, a lot of people wouldn't probably stay on the type of diet I am on....there's days where my vomiting issues run rampant, and I switch to a clear liquid diet. ( I have drank so much water and iced tea, it's ridiculous) I do believe that my mom had many years of good health due to her never drinking a lot of soda pop...she drank iced tea by the gallons every day! I started doing the iced tea thing ( giving up all pop when I was PG with my last child, son, Jordan in 1986.)

My guilty pleasure is an occasional serving of that Pink Cloud Dessert I just listed on the forum in the thread about Turkey Day traditions. When I make it, I will have a small dish of it, and send the rest to a neighbors or my DD who lives about 2 blocks from me.
                          I hope all these awesome suggestions help you !

odie-animation.gif
                          Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                          http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

I have familial hyercholesterolemia which causes extremely high cholesterol. I was doing okay until my Gyno doctor retired. I went in for a check up last November and the new male doctor told me he wouldn't give me a prescription for my hormone replacement therapy. Once I went off hormones & my cholesterol shot up over 300. I take a really low dose of statin to keep my doctor happy & with the hormones my cholesterol was acceptable. I went in for my physical and when she saw my test results she freaked out. She sent me to a Gyno who gave me back my hormones. I have a blood draw this Wed. & I'm hoping my cholesterol has dropped back down. I am hoping by adjusting my diet that I can get the levels lower. Thanks to all for taking the time to comment and give me lots to think about.

sigpic

Comment

unless you are have scilliac disease (I don't know how to spell it) then Do not go gluten free. If you are a blood type O, do not give up meat. Your brain needs fats and proteins to grow and thrive. Try all things in moderation. Fish, pork, good beef, good poultry and eggs. I heard on one of those health programs that women should have 6 or more eggs per week...natures perfect food. I agree that process foods should be eliminated and definitely read the label for high fructose corn syrup (a real no no).
                              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X