Cooking up a storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking up a storm

When I quilt I go for days without cooking for my husband and I. BUT i still need to eat, but don't like to interrupt my quilting to cook. What I do is make ahead meal for the freezer. Since we seem to be having rain and thunderstorms every day.
    So last week, in a few days II made: 1) Ginger Orange chicken with peppers, mandarins and water chestnuts on a bed of egg noodles 2) beef mini meatloafs (large muffin size) with havarti jalapeño cheese 3) chicken strips with mushrooms in cream of celery sauce on a bed of egg noodles 4) shepherd pie with veal 5) cooked chicken cut up in strips and packaged for wuick sandwiches or fajita 6) baked beans 7)penne pasta with Italian sausage in a tomato sauce with kalamata olives 7) egg, ham and cheese breakfast burritos 8) huge batch of meat spaghetti sauce 9) strawberry jam -2 batches 10) batch of strawberry rhubarb jam.11) 160 ginger orange cookies 12) bakery fresh croissants and last a batch of 'sucre a la creme' (French-Canadian version of fudge).

I have at least 3-4 meals of each so we are good for awhile. What has motivated me to make so much is to share with a friend's family while she she has been in hospital since mid June.
    With more expected rain and thunderstorms predicted for next week, I am going to hide in my sewing room. Happy quilting.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Re: Cooking up a storm

I make ahead and put it in the freezer too. The difference is I let Marie Callendar frozen dinners do all the work for me. They were on sale last week and I bought 35 dinners and filled the freezer. She cooks better than I do (and I am a pretty good cook.)

More quilt time for me.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Suzanne........I only have one question. What time should we be there to eat?!

I need to do more cooking ahead. It's so much more relaxing sewing when you know you don't have to stop to cook.
      "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
      Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I love Marie's pot pies.
        I have some grilled chicken strips left over, need to find something creative to do with them. Some of your recipes sound really good.

Comment

I also freeze meals for 'quilty' days.
          Last edited by sew-what2015; July 16th, 2017, 09:00 AM.

Comment

I love Grandma G's crockpot lasagna recipe. I have 'tweaked' it using my own sauce and cheese mixture, but I so appreciate her posting the yummy goodness. I also freeze meals for my crock pot and they are so handy on quilting days (or work days-bah!) We must be creative so we can be creative
            Theda :icon_wave:

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
            "Carlie Rae" - Babylock Crescendo

Comment

It seems like it's easier for me to cook ahead in the winter than in the summer. We usually work in the yard until dark in the summer. I agree that it's helpful not having to stop sewing to fix meals!! In the summer I cook large amounts of chicken breasts ahead and freeze them for salads and several other meals.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I fill the freezer full of "make-ahead" in the winter when its actually cool enough to cook. I can get quite a lot of single serving containers crammed in there. When it hits 90, and the AC is struggling to keep up, I'm not cooking anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                  It seems like it's easier for me to cook ahead in the winter than in the summer. We usually work in the yard until dark in the summer. I agree that it's helpful not having to stop sewing to fix meals!! In the summer I cook large amounts of chicken breasts ahead and freeze them for salads and several other meals.
                  What is your go to way to cook them? I watch the Food Network a lot and see favorite ways. Poaching, grilling, baking, crockpot. It's too many choices. lol
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                    What is your go to way to cook them? I watch the Food Network a lot and see favorite ways. Poaching, grilling, baking, crockpot. It's too many choices. lol
                    Lorie, I found this recipe and love how the chicken turns out - juicy and a touch of spice. I do this once a week and use the chicken for salads or tacos, recipes.....http://www.yellowblissroad.com/baked-chicken-breasts/
                    I am Sew Blessed!
                    Alina

Comment

Since it's just my husband and I now, it was hard to cut back on sizes. SO, I still cook as I normally did and freeze the extra in individual size containers. We have a big choice of many different varieties. Has come in handy so many times.

Comment

Originally posted by amartin24 View Post
                        Lorie, I found this recipe and love how the chicken turns out - juicy and a touch of spice. I do this once a week and use the chicken for salads or tacos, recipes.....http://www.yellowblissroad.com/baked-chicken-breasts/
                        Thank you....I saved it!

Comment

Alina, that recipe looks wonderful. Thanks for that link.
                          A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Originally posted by amartin24 View Post
                            That sounds like a great start! I was freezing breasts in my vacuum sealer. Sounds easy enough to take one out in the morning to thaw out, but I never end up cooking it!
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I used to freeze more meals than I do now. Like Shirley, in the winter I do more cooking than in the summer. I use my crockpot in the summer for the majority of any meals that are going to be hot. With the exception of breakfast. Every morning I have a big breakfast including eggs. But in the heat of the summer I crave more greens and fruits.

Comment

Working...
                              X