shortbread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shortbread

I am looking for a great really buttery shortbread recipe. A neighbor who has since passed away gave us some fantastic shortbread one year (the best i have ever had) unfortuenetly i never got to ask her for her recipe it was so light and buttery and rich . Would love to find something like it .

Re: shortbread

8.75 ounces (1 3/4 cups) all-purpose flour
    1.25 ounces (1/4 cup) rice flour
    5 ounces (about 2/3 cup) extra fine sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes

Preheat your oven to 425. Combine the flour(s), sugar and salt in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Stir on low to blend. Turn the mixer up to medium speed and add the cold butter. Beat 2-3 minutes until the butter is fully incorporated and a dough comes together. It will range in texture from crumbly to smooth depending on your flour and the ambient temperature.

Shape into classic “petticoat tails” by lining a 9″ cake layer pan with a round of parchment or waxed paper, laying in the dough, covering it with another round of waxed paper, and pressing down on it with a second layer pan. Refrigerated the dough 30 minutes to firm it. Loosen the edges of the dough with a short knife, peel off the top layer of waxed paper, and turn the round out onto a parchment-lined sheet pan. Peel off the second piece of waxed paper.

Put the round into the oven and immediately turn the heat down to 300. Bake 20 minutes, then remove the round from the oven. Insert a 2″ round cutter in the very center of the round (this will be removed later). Score the shortbread with a sharp knife, like spokes on a wheel, into 16 pieces. Use a cake tester or wooden skewer to poke regular holes in the shortbread (the holes are part decorative, part functional, as they allow gas and steam to escape, keeping the shortbread dense).

Return the shortbread to the oven and bake an additional 40 minutes until only very lightly browned. Remove from the oven and sprinkle on additional sugar. Cool 10 minutes then remove the round cutter (saving the cookie at the center for yourself) and slice the shortbread along the scores into blunt pie-shaped pieces. Cool completely, a minimum of 3 hours.

Comment

As soon as I get some rice flour and fine sugar, you can bet I will be trying this recipe! Thank you!

Comment

I love shortbread. Thanks! Now if I could just get one for those almond windmill cookies I can never find any more......

Comment

Originally posted by shirleyknot View Post
          I love shortbread. Thanks! Now if I could just get one for those almond windmill cookies I can never find any more......
          http://www.food.com/recipe/windmill-cookies-92620

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...cookies-104431

These two recipes are very similar. Walmart usually has the Dutch Maid windmill cookies
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
            As soon as I get some rice flour and fine sugar, you can bet I will be trying this recipe! Thank you!
            I've made it with regular sugar and it turned out fine. Sometimes our local grocery doesn't carry superfine.

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
              http://www.food.com/recipe/windmill-cookies-92620

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...cookies-104431

These two recipes are very similar. Walmart usually has the Dutch Maid windmill cookies
              Our WM hasn't had them for a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by shirleyknot View Post
                Our WM hasn't had them for a very long time.
                It is hit and miss around here in the stores. They do sell them online if you want to buy them by the case. Those were some of my favorite cookies when I was a kid.
                K is for Karen 😊​..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

Ina Garten had the best rated shortbread

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...es-recipe.html

I loved the windmill cookies too. Here's a cutter if you decide to make your own

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Wind...4AAOSwpzdWsmTX

Someone wanted $26 for a 9oz box. Way to gouge.
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

If you have a blender, magic bullet, food processor, or coffee grinder, put the regular sugar in that to grind it fine.
                    The shortbread cookies are way better with the fine sugar.

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                    The Farmmyfarm

Comment

You can't take any shortbread recipe and exchange reg sugar for powdered. You have to do it by weight not volume.
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

It sounds like Dresden Plate shortbread!!
                        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

shirleyknot, maybe you could order them from Walmart.com. Sometimes I will order enough groceries to get it delivered free, if I just need an item or two.

Comment

Hulamoon,
                            What do you think of this recipe for shortbread. It came from Pinterest.
                            2C salted butter
                            ? brown sugar not positive but I think it was close to 2C
                            4 1/2C
                            Cream butter & sugar
                            Mix in flour as much as possible then stir in remainder
                            Form a disc
                            Wrap in saran wrap
                            Chill
                            Roll out to 1/2" thick
                            Cut Bake temp ??
                            Just wondering, sounds good, but 1# of butter, and all that flour. What do you think Kathy
                            All quilts cat tested and approved.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mischiefkat View Post
                              Hulamoon,
                              What do you think of this recipe for shortbread. It came from Pinterest.
                              2C salted butter
                              ? brown sugar not positive but I think it was close to 2C
                              4 1/2C
                              Cream butter & sugar
                              Mix in flour as much as possible then stir in remainder
                              Form a disc
                              Wrap in saran wrap
                              Chill
                              Roll out to 1/2" thick
                              Cut Bake temp ??
                              Just wondering, sounds good, but 1# of butter, and all that flour. What do you think Kathy
                              There might be too much sugar. I found a good article on ratios.
                              http://www.kitchenhealssoul.com/2014...os-matter/html

Plus brown sugar is more wet and that might change the out come too. I don't bake much any more but when I do I cut the recipe in half to test it. Today I'm making cornmeal cookies. It has no baking powder or soda in it. lol
                              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                              X