What to do with deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with deer?

We had an exciting weekend. My youngest DS (the one at the forum) went hunting for the first time with his BIL and shot his 1st buck - an 8 pointer! He was over the moon excited. We will have the head mounted for him for Christmas and he has asked if we can have deer steaks for Thanksgiving. My DH is not a hunter so I will have to find a recipe. Any suggestions on how to cook/marinate/deal with deer? They are having it cut into a shoulder roast, steaks, sausages, and ground meat. Is there a website for recipes and tips?

Thanks for your help.
    Cindy

Re: What to do with deer?

https://youtu.be/mpKfO6onH6E How to cook the Ultimate Venison Steak
    http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Venison-(Deer-Meat)
    Search "How to Cook Venison" and there are lots of options.
    Congratulations to your son!! How exciting. Hope you find a recipe you like and that your Thanksgiving meal is delicious.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

We eat a lot of deer meat. Lots of ways to cook it. Just remember, it has no fat and is very lean so that is what makes the cooking different.
      For a roast , dredge it in flour, salt, pepper, Italian season, put some oil in a cast iron pan, sere it on all sides, Then, wrap in bacon strips and put it in a crock pot and cover with beef broth and cook on low with carrots and potatoes and onions. Nice winter meal.
      For steaks...get the ones from the back strap or tenderloin, cut like a filet mignon and wrap in bacon and broil like a filet.
      For other steaks...I would cube them (if you don't have a cuber...use a meat mallet on both sides, dredge in flour and seasonings and fry up like a country fried steak. This is one of my favorites.
      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
      Terry

Comment

Hahaha I had to laugh, I thought your post would be how to keep deer out of your yard! Big fence. Big tall fence.

Comment

My uncle was a great hunter. He hunted deer & elk in the Pac. N.W. He also hunted big game in Africa for the university where he taught. He used to grind part of the venison with bacon for a better tasting burger meat. Some of the more tender meat works great for steaks. I'm sure there must be plenty of info. on the web if you do a search. I've gone hunting myself. Had a doe license one year & got a deer just at dusk. That was my only claim to fame. My bro. & I used to hunt squirrels & pheasant in Mich.

Comment

Originally posted by cv quilter View Post
            https://youtu.be/mpKfO6onH6E How to cook the Ultimate Venison Steak
            http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Venison-(Deer-Meat)
            Search "How to Cook Venison" and there are lots of options.
            Congratulations to your son!! How exciting. Hope you find a recipe you like and that your Thanksgiving meal is delicious.
            Yes, CV, he is very proud of his 1st deer. Thanks for the links. I am also looking for cooking advice from someone who has made deer. Is it rangey-tasting? Does it need to be marinated? Is it salty? Dry? Recipes don't always tell the novice those little tricks.
            Cindy

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
              We eat a lot of deer meat. Lots of ways to cook it. Just remember, it has no fat and is very lean so that is what makes the cooking different.
              For a roast , dredge it in flour, salt, pepper, Italian season, put some oil in a cast iron pan, sere it on all sides, Then, wrap in bacon strips and put it in a crock pot and cover with beef broth and cook on low with carrots and potatoes and onions. Nice winter meal.
              For steaks...get the ones from the back strap or tenderloin, cut like a filet mignon and wrap in bacon and broil like a filet.
              For other steaks...I would cube them (if you don't have a cuber...use a meat mallet on both sides, dredge in flour and seasonings and fry up like a country fried steak. This is one of my favorites.
              Thanks, Terry. That's what I need to know. Do you marinate yours overnight?
              Cindy

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                My uncle was a great hunter. He hunted deer & elk in the Pac. N.W. He also hunted big game in Africa for the university where he taught. He used to grind part of the venison with bacon for a better tasting burger meat. Some of the more tender meat works great for steaks. I'm sure there must be plenty of info. on the web if you do a search. I've gone hunting myself. Had a doe license one year & got a deer just at dusk. That was my only claim to fame. My bro. & I used to hunt squirrels & pheasant in Mich.

I'm not sure I would be a very good hunter. Sitting still and quiet for a long time in a tree stand doesn't sound like something I could do.
                Cindy

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                  Hahaha I had to laugh, I thought your post would be how to keep deer out of your yard! Big fence. Big tall fence.
                  Yikes, if there were deer in the yard, I would probably know how to cook it by now!
                  Cindy

Comment

Venison makes a great hearty chili! We usually process our own because we cut the tenderloins into steaks and the rest is cut into 1" cubes for stew or ground.
                    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

Cindy, my dh and sons are all deer hunters...we love the meat...Grammaterry has posted all of the ways we cook it....my dh also makes a deer vegetable soup that includes a can of beer...it is awesome...
                      Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Comment

My family loves deer too. My son-in-law shot his first deer last week too. They field dressed, butchered it and took it home in coolers. Then my daughter put it in an iced cooler and changed the ice every day for three days to purge more blood and age it.

Grammaterry posted what I do. We don't marinate usually, but you can with some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire garlic, and salt & pepper.

Since the meat is so lean, it is more dense than beef, and can be tough if you aren't careful. Deer fat isn't good tasting like beef or pig fat is, so hopefully your processor will cut most of it off. Tenderize and add fat (bacon!) and you'll be loving it.

If you think you'll be getting more deer in the future, you might want to add a comment on the packages when you get it back. Cook some up and if it is tough or tastes weird, label the packages so you'll know to make slow cooking recipes with that deer. My cousin says it has to do with the adrenaline in the deer when it is shot. A clean kill shot makes for a more tender meat. They are avid hunters and hunt for most of their meat so I trust their word, but my own freezer doesn't have that much wild meat to bother with labeling it with anything other than the cut and date.

Comment

My husband is an avid deer hunter so I have had to get creative with processing. My favorite is to can it in pint jars. It takes time but when you want to use it the meat is ready to go. We use it mostly for Italian Beef and Beef and Noodles. Here is a link for the canning process I use. I do add 1 beef bouillon cube per pint with 1 TBSP of water but you don't have to.

http://www.simplycanning.com/canning-venison.html
                          Robin
                          My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

I love deer meat and have cooked it many ways (but I lost my recipe book of my favorite deer recipes in one of my moves...bummer). I do remember the bacon or bacon fat was important. I use to cook the vension stew for our game supper in Vermont each year and that was delicious and was always the first thing to go. Unfortunately that was in that recipe book I do remember that it also had cashews in it though :-). I do remember that some of the ingredients were onions, carrots, lipton onion soup mix and wine though. Anyway when up in Canada someone made vension summer sausage and I just loved that. I made some from some deer meat someone gave me here and I used the recipe that was in a kit I got from Walmart. It did turn out good.
                            https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                            Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Originally posted by sewbizzy View Post
                              Cindy, my dh and sons are all deer hunters...we love the meat...Grammaterry has posted all of the ways we cook it....my dh also makes a deer vegetable soup that includes a can of beer...it is awesome...
                              The vegetable soup sounds good - we eat soup all winter, thanks.

Originally posted by snippet View Post
                              Since the meat is so lean, it is more dense than beef, and can be tough if you aren't careful. Deer fat isn't good tasting like beef or pig fat is, so hopefully your processor will cut most of it off. Tenderize and add fat (bacon!) and you'll be loving it.

If you think you'll be getting more deer in the future, you might want to add a comment on the packages when you get it back. Cook some up and if it is tough or tastes weird, label the packages so you'll know to make slow cooking recipes with that deer. My cousin says it has to do with the adrenaline in the deer when it is shot. A clean kill shot makes for a more tender meat. They are avid hunters and hunt for most of their meat so I trust their word, but my own freezer doesn't have that much wild meat to bother with labeling it with anything other than the cut and date.
                              I hadn't thought about it being more dense and I didn't realize the deer fat wasn't good. It looks like bacon is the answer. Everything is better with bacon.

It was a clean kill so hopefully, I won't mess things up when I cook it.

Originally posted by Mom23 View Post
                              My husband is an avid deer hunter so I have had to get creative with processing. My favorite is to can it in pint jars. It takes time but when you want to use it the meat is ready to go. We use it mostly for Italian Beef and Beef and Noodles. Here is a link for the canning process I use. I do add 1 beef bouillon cube per pint with 1 TBSP of water but you don't have to.

http://www.simplycanning.com/canning-venison.html
                              I'm not getting any cubes back from the processor - steaks, roast, ground, and butterfly. I've never canned meat before. Thanks for the link.

Originally posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
                              Anyway when up in Canada someone made vension summer sausage and I just loved that. I made some from some deer meat someone gave me here and I used the recipe that was in a kit I got from Walmart. It did turn out good.
                              I'll look at the store to see if there are any kits - thanks!
                              Cindy

Comment

Working...
                              X