No announcement yet.

Soup weather! Here's my fave. Yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soup weather! Here's my fave. Yours?

I like my aunt's hamburger soup. It's a lot like the taco soup that Bernice has made at retreats in the past. Here's her recipe: http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/showthread.php?t=29413
    TACO SOUP
    Ingredients:

1 can (15oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
    1 can 14.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
    1 can (15.25 oz.) sweet corn, drained
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 can green enchilada sauce
    14 oz. of chicken broth
    2 chicken breast ( cooked and chopped) I like to boil my chicken until tender then skin and chop into cubes.
    1 packet taco seasoning

Mix all ingredients together in a large pot
    Heat until warm, stirring occasionally

Serve with tortilla chips.

I put mine in a crock pot and head off to sew.
    After having mushroom barley soup at a restaurant in Waco, I had to have some at home. I found CrzyMtnLady's post and made it. It's awesome! I made it once with the beef and once with just beef stock and they are both great. Here's her recipe: http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/showthread.php?t=16926
    MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP
    ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs boneless beef chuck, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
    1 Tablespoon cooking oil
    1 Cup chopped onions
    1 Cup diced carrots
    1/2 Cup sliced celery
    1 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 can (14 1/2oz) beef broth
    1 can (14 1/2oz) chicken broth
    2 Cups water
    1/2 cups medium pearl barley
    1/2 teaspoon pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

In a dutch oven or soup kettle, brown meat in oil. Remove meat with a slotted spoon and set aside. Saute' onion, carrots and celery in drippings over medium heat until tender. Add mushrooms, thyme and garlic. Cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add broths, water, barley and pepper.
    Return meat to pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until barley and meat are tender.
    I really do use recipes y'all post here!
    snippet
    Last edited by snippet; October 29, 2016, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anitamae56 View Post
      Thank you , sounds wonderful. I belong weight watchers I will have try to figure the points., unless you have it. Thank you it sounds very good , will save this recipe.
      One cup is one point; 2 cups is 3 points. Unless the points have changed - it's been a while since I've been, but the veggies, Rotel, and fat free chicken broth are all zero points. You only count the points for the Velveeta. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Cokie View Post
        One cup is one point; 2 cups is 3 points. Unless the points have changed - it's been a while since I've been, but the veggies, Rotel, and fat free chicken broth are all zero points. You only count the points for the Velveeta. :-)
        Thank you , I am going to buy the things for it this weekend, it sounds delicious

Comment

If you like beans, buy a bag of 15 beans and make the recipe on the back of the bag. Don't forget to add the smokey seasoning packet that comes with it at the end. Add a loaf of crusty bread and dinner is served! YUM! ( oh yeah, the lemon is ESSENTIAL! .....keeps the gas away!)
          :icon_rolleyes:

Comment

i looked up this recipe..... looks really good. But the question always is "how spicy is it"? Kathy
            All quilts cat tested and approved.
            sigpic

Comment

Sweet potato andouille soup. I make this in bulk and freeze.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...up-recipe.html
              Karen
              Spring, TX

Comment

Jean Marie, really? The lemon is the trick? I have made 15 bean soup, and it is delish, but never saw the lemon trick. Gotta watch for it next time.
                cv quilter
                Last edited by cv quilter; October 30, 2016, 09:50 PM. Reason: made a mistake in typing
                A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Yup! The lemon is on the package recipe. It works! I put lemon on my stuffed cabbages too! And no, its not spicy.
                  :icon_rolleyes:

Comment

Shirleyknot,
                    I tried your potato soup for supper tonight. Really good. Just enough for DH for lunch tomorrow. Will be making it again. Thanks for posting the recipe. Kathy
                    All quilts cat tested and approved.
                    sigpic

Comment

Glad you enjoyed it.

Comment

This is my one of my family's favorites. Mine too especially since it cooks up really quickly.

Creamy Carrot Soup

1 tablespoon veggie oil
                        1 cup chopped onions
                        2 cups chopped leeks, white part only
                        3 cans chicken broth/stock or 32 oz. box
                        1/2 teaspoon salt
                        4 cups chopped carrots

Sauté the onions and leeks in the oil for about 5 minutes until they are soft but not browned.
                        Add the chicken broth/stock, salt and carrots, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.

Puree the soup with a hand held immersion blender or cool soup and puree in regular blender.
                        Serve soup hot and enjoy.

This is a creamy soup without the cream and high fat calories.
                        Can use vegetable stock for a vegetarian soup.
                        Sometimes I sauté the veggies in a combo of butter and oil, adds a bit more flavor.
                        Many times leeks aren't available or too expensive so I use 3 cups of chopped onions.
                        Onions and leeks can be rough cut as they will be pureed and using baby carrots cuts down on prep time.
                        After pureeing if the soup is too thick for your liking you can add additional broth/stock or a little milk.
                        I limit my salt intake so I don't add it but I do add some pepper or maybe some Italian seasoning.
                        MayinJerset
                        Last edited by MayinJerset; November 2, 2016, 09:28 PM.

Comment

I'll have to try that one!

Comment

That sounds yummy May! Since I don't eat meat I'm always looking for recipes like that.
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Minestrone is one of my favorites.

1 pound hot or mild Italian sausage
                              2 tablespoons olive oil
                              1 large onion, chopped
                              3 cloves garlic, chopped
                              5 cups chicken stock
                              28 ounces diced tomatoes
                              10 ounces spinach, chopped
                              1 1/2 cup carrots, sliced
                              1 1/2 cup green beans (I like Italian green beans, but can't always get them)
                              1 1/2 teaspoon basil
                              1/2 teaspoon marjoram
                              1 pinch hot pepper flakes
                              one can cannellini or garbanzo beans
                              3/4 cup ditalini pasta

Cook sausages and slice. In a large saucepan or Dutch kettle, heat oil and add the onions and garlic; cook 2 - 3 minutes until softened. Add the chicken stock, diced tomatoes including juice, spinach, carrots, beans, basil, marjoram and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender. Add the white beans including liquid, and the pasta. Let simmer 5 - 7 minutes more or until pasta is al dente. Season with salt and pepper to taste. You may want to add additional stock and/or water if the pasta sucks it up.

Throwing a parmesan rind in the pot really enhances this soup, otherwise, serve with sprinkled parm.

I also love lentil, but don't use a recipe. Lentils, beef stock, carrot, celery, onion, garlic, a small amount of tomato product (whatever is handy), maybe some bacon crumbles, finish with fresh parsley and a splash of red wine vinegar. Sometimes I'll take a stick blender to it and puree about half. I usually just chuck everything but the parsley and vinegar in a slow cooker and let it go.

I really only use a recipe for stuff when I make a grocery list so I won't forget a key ingredient. I've done that. Duh.

Comment

Love soup....lots of soup! I am sick tonight. Wish I could make soup and eat and feel better. Fred is probably going to grill burgers and I will LOVE them, but soup sounds YUMMY!
                                A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Working...
                                X