Soup weather! Here's my fave. Yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soup weather! Here's my fave. Yours?

This time of year I start making soup on weekends to take to work for a few days. My favourite soup is below because during the winter when the summer garden veg are just a memory, this soup tastes so bright and fresh. I've even been asked to bring big batches for work events, but I love trying new soup recipes. What's your favourite?

Thai sweet potato soup
    Serves 2-3
    1-tsp oil
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1 red Thai chili, chopped fine
    2cm (1inch) piece fresh ginger, chopped
    1 stalk lemongrass, bashed with a rolling pin (I buy these in a jar and freeze them)
    25g (1-oz) bunch cilantro, stalks and leaves chopped separately
    2 tbsp Thai red curry paste (I like Thai Kitchen brand because it's mild and fruity)
    2 cup veg or chicken stock
    1-cup water
    160mL (1/2 can) coconut cream
    500g sweet potatoes (2 large baked potato sized), peeled and sliced
    juice of 1 lime
    1/2 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp fish sauce
    Fry garlic, ginger, chili and paste in the oil for a couple of minutes.
    Add the stock, water, cream, lemongrass, cilantro stalks and potato slices. Let simmer 15-20 min or until potato is soft.
    Remove the lemongrass and discard. Whiz the soup with a hand blender.
    Add juice, sugar and fish sauce and top bowls with cilantro leaves before serving.

Tip: If you can't find canned coconut cream, you can use coconut milk instead. Just put the can in the fridge or freezer for an hour then carefully scoop off the separated firm cream on top and discard (or drink) the water underneath.

Re: Soup weather! Here's my fave. Yours?

This soup sounds delicious. Thank you for posting the recipe.

My favorite soup is Chicken Corn Chowder, but I am still looking for a good recipe. My second favorite is Beef Vegetable, and I lost my favorite recipe for that, so I'll be experimenting again!

I recently made this soup, and really enjoyed it. It also freezes well. I used vegetable broth to make it totally vegetarian. (I'm not a vegetarian, but I do like to have some meal options that are meatless.) I am pretty sure I had to add some more seasoning, but I can't remember what, possibly some Herbamare.

Moroccan Red Lentil Stew: https://fullplateliving.org/diet/rec...ed-lentil-soup
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Wow! I am definitely making that stew this weekend! Thank you, Sylvia!

Comment

Especially during the chilly weather, whenever I see a Panera Bread I have to stop for some Broccoli Cheddar. Wish I had that recipe!

Comment

Originally posted by Judy, USMC View Post
          Especially during the chilly weather, whenever I see a Panera Bread I have to stop for some Broccoli Cheddar. Wish I had that recipe!
          http://allrecipes.com/recipe/235874/...-cheddar-soup/
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Chicken or Beef Barley Soup? Both warm my body and heart. No " stock-in-a-box" here in Brazil so I keep my freezer loaded with homemade stocks.
            "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
            Hillary Clinton

Comment

Creamy potato soup

Peel and cube 4-6 medium potatoes into bite size pieces. Put in a 4 quart saucepan and add water to just about an inch below the surface of the potatoes. Salt to taste and cover tightly, simmer til almost tender. Uncover and continue cooking til done, stirring occasionally. Liquid should reduce and thicken. Add 2 cups whole milk, 1 cup shredded cheddar, half teaspoon of pepper and 2 tablespoons butter. Heat til cheese is melted and stirred in. Serve garnished with crumbled bacon and fresh chopped basil.

Comment

Oooh! These recipes sound delicious! Looks like I'll be making a lot of soup this winter. YUM!
                One of my favorites is a really fast and easy Chicken Taco Soup that I throw into the slow cooker:

EASY Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup

1 onion, chopped
                1 (16 oz) can chili beans
                1 (16 oz) can black beans
                1 (16 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
                1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
                1 (12 oz) can of chicken broth (I usually double this)
                1 (10 oz) can diced Ro-Tel tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
                1 (10 oz) can diced Ro-Tel tomatoes with lime juice and cilantro, undrained
                1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning (OR make your own – see below)
                1 pack Ranch dressing mix
                2-3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts (or 6-8 chicken fingers)
                8 oz of shredded Cheddar cheese (or Mexican cheese)
                sour cream (optional)
                avocado or guacamole (optional)
                crushed tortilla chips (optional)

1. Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, broth, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker.
                2. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend.
                3. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture.
                4. Sprinkle Ranch dressing mix on top – do not stir.
                5. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 6 hours.
                6. Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and shred with forks.
                7. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup; continue cooking 1 hour.
                8. Serve into bowls and top with shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, avocado or guacamole, and crushed tortilla chips. Enjoy!

Easy Taco Seasoning
                1 Tbsp chili powder
                1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp onion powder
                1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (or more if you want it hot)

1/4 tsp dried oregano
                1-1/2 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp sea salt
                1 tsp black pepper

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                The Farmmyfarm

Comment

Thanks shirleyknot!! Potato soup is my favorite but I never had it with cheese. I am going to try your recipe. I don't peel my potatoes either.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
                    This soup sounds delicious. Thank you for posting the recipe.

My favorite soup is Chicken Corn Chowder, but I am still looking for a good recipe. My second favorite is Beef Vegetable, and I lost my favorite recipe for that, so I'll be experimenting again!

I recently made this soup, and really enjoyed it. It also freezes well. I used vegetable broth to make it totally vegetarian. (I'm not a vegetarian, but I do like to have some meal options that are meatless.) I am pretty sure I had to add some more seasoning, but I can't remember what, possibly some Herbamare.

Moroccan Red Lentil Stew: https://fullplateliving.org/diet/rec...ed-lentil-soup
                    That stew sounds yummy! I just bought a lot of those spices online and have been looking around for a way to experiment with them.
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

The potato soup recipe sounds delicious. Going to try it this coming week. Anyone else with a good recipe ?. My favorite is plain ole chicken noodle (homemade of course) Kathy
                      All quilts cat tested and approved.
                      sigpic

Comment

Fred and I love potato soup. Thanks, Shirley, for this recipe. This will be made this coming week. It sounds easy and so delicious.
                        A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

That recipe sounds delicious! Thanks. My favorite soup is good ol' chicken and rice or chicken noodle.

Comment

Here's one of our favorites.

Cheese Soup

2 bags frozen California style veggies (broccoli, cauliflower and carrots)
                            2 cans fat free chicken broth
                            1 can Rotel tomatoes
                            10 oz. light Velveeta cheese

Cook veggies and Rotel in chicken broth until veggies are kind of "mushy." Mash veggies to break them up - I use an immersion blender (some people call it a stick blender) . You want to still have pieces of the veggies in the soup, so if you use the blender be sure the veggies are not pureed. Cut Velveeta into cubes and stir into soup just until melted, and serve with Ritz crackers or crusty dinner rolls. This is so easy and good. I got the recipe years ago at Weight Watchers.

Comment

Originally posted by Cokie View Post
                              Here's one of our favorites.

Cheese Soup

2 bags frozen California style veggies (broccoli, cauliflower and carrots)
                              2 cans fat free chicken broth
                              1 can Rotel tomatoes
                              10 oz. light Velveeta cheese

Cook veggies and Rotel in chicken broth until veggies are kind of "mushy." Mash veggies to break them up - I use an immersion blender (some people call it a stick blender) . You want to still have pieces of the veggies in the soup, so if you use the blender be sure the veggies are not pureed. Cut Velveeta into cubes and stir into soup just until melted, and serve with Ritz crackers or crusty dinner rolls. This is so easy and good. I got the recipe years ago at Weight Watchers.
                              Thank you , sounds wonderful. I belong weight watchers I will have try to figure the points., unless you have it. Thank you it sounds very good , will save this recipe.

Comment

Working...
                              X