Tomato soup recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomato soup recipe

Awhile back my DH went on a business trip to WI and was treated to a round of golf at Whistling Straits. They went out to eat and he said that he had the most delicious bowl of tomato soup ever. I can't remember if the restraunt was at the club or just in that town. So now he wants me to replicate this soup for him. One problem, I hate tomatoes. I don't mind growing, cutting, or serving them but I just don't eat them. Does anybody here have an amazing tomato soup recipe that you would share? I have tried google and Pinterest, but nothing looks good to me. (Ugh, why do I have to dislike em!). I am at a bit of a disadvantage here since I don't know if I will be able to taste it while cooking! There is always the possibility that this amazing soup will help converte me from a "tomato hater" to them being "not so bad". Thank you for the help.
    Melissa

I really hate it when the voices in my head argue among themselves as though I wasn't even in the room.

I tried to be normal once......worst two minutes of my life.

Re: Tomato soup recipe

I always thought tomato soup was supposed to taste like that crap in can so I swore I would never like it. That is, until, I tried the recipe from America's Test Kitchen. What makes it even better is a grilled cheese made with good Italian bread and Farmer's cheese (bonus if it has basil). It just takes it all to a whole new level!

4 T butter, 2 (28oz.) cans diced tomatoes, drained with 3 C juice reserved, 1 onion, chopped fine, 2 T brown sugar, 1 T tomato paste, 2 T flour, 14.5 oz. can chicken broth, 1/2 C heavy cream, salt/pepper, cayenne.

Melt butter in a Dutch Oven over med/high heat. Add the drained tomatoes, onion, brown sugar, and tomato paste. Cook until onion is softened and tomatoes begin to caramelize, about 15 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Slowly stir in broth and tomato juice, scraping up brown bits. Bring to a simmer, cover, cook for 10 minutes. Puree until smooth. Return to pot, add cream, bring back to brief simmer and remove from heat. Season with salt/pepper.

Comment

I love tomatoes but never liked soup as in Cambells. Then I tried a roasted tomato soup in the deli section and I really liked it. Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) always has nice recipes.

http://www.littlebroken.com/2014/10/...to-basil-soup/

edit to add that some tomato varieties are sweeter than others. That's why you see plum tomato's in sauces and soups. Sandwich types like beefsteak are sometimes bland and get mushy. So maybe you will change your mind
      Last edited by Hulamoon; October 26, 2016, 08:39 AM.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Thanks for the recipe, Tricia....it sounds wonderful. I will make it this weekend.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Progresso makes a wonderful tomato and basil soup. However in a pinch I'll take a can of Campbells and add a can of petite diced tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste, 1/2 cup heavy cream, and about two tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, heat and serve with a pat of butter and some grated Parmesan cheese on top.
          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Oh yeah, I love Progresso's tomato basil soup with grilled cheese.
            I have also used my home-canned spaghetti sauce for soup. Tends to be a bit thin but great for dipping your sandwich
            “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Thanks everybody, now I just need for the weather to cool down and I will attempt to make soup. We have been setting record highs here in Atlanta. I even promise to try it without making a face!!
              Melissa

I really hate it when the voices in my head argue among themselves as though I wasn't even in the room.

I tried to be normal once......worst two minutes of my life.

Comment

Looking up tomato soups was on my list of things to do this week. I'm so glad this thread is here. I'm going to see if I can adapt Tricia's recipe and use some of the tomatoes I froze from my garden and see how it does.

Melissa, I've never been a fan of tomato soup either. When I was around 4 years old I got the chicken pox and I remember my mother giving me Campbell's tomato soup one day which I immediately threw up. It's a psychological thing with me. I've never been able to enjoy it since. If I try to concentrate on tasting it I gag!
                https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Working...
                X