Arnold Palmer Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arnold Palmer Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs

I made this for dinner tonight, and it was delicious. I cooked it longer in the oven, though. The thighs were large, and so after the first 12 minutes at 450, I turned down the temp to 350 and left them in for another 15 minutes. They were just fine - still very moist - with the additional cooking. This recipe is going into my rotation. I also made yellow rice and had the Birds Eye cauliflower in garlic sauce.

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-arno...-thighs-230550
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Re: Arnold Palmer Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs

I was hoping it would use a can of AP because I have one in the fridge right now. lol Interesting recipe!
    "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

That does sound good, Sylvia!

Comment

Looks really good! Did you keep the skins on the thighs or remove them?
        I am Sew Blessed!
        Alina

Comment

Sylvia, this sounds like a terrific recipe and though I don't eat much meat, I'm having guests this weekend. This group always likes to try new dishes, so you are helping me appear competent! Just wondering. I imagine leaving the skins on gives you a crispy finished product? And do you agree the fat is needed for the richness of the dish?

Comment

This sounds wonderful....will give it a try over the weekend. Thanks, Sylvia. I still make your hamburger/cabbage dish often.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Sounds delish, I will be giving this one a try!
              Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

Originally posted by amartin24 View Post
                Looks really good! Did you keep the skins on the thighs or remove them?
                Originally posted by Midge View Post
                Sylvia, this sounds like a terrific recipe and though I don't eat much meat, I'm having guests this weekend. This group always likes to try new dishes, so you are helping me appear competent! Just wondering. I imagine leaving the skins on gives you a crispy finished product? And do you agree the fat is needed for the richness of the dish?
                DEFINITELY - leave the skin on. I can't even describe how delicious that skin was with the brining, and I put a slice of lemon on each piece of chicken when it went in the oven - and then, the addition of the honey right at the end. It was scrumptious. And yes, the fat is necessary too. But if you only eat a little .....
                If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I want to come to your house for dinner :-)
                  https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                  Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I made this dish for guests last evening - and it was delicious! It smelled so wonderful, too with all the lemon. Everyone loved it and there were NO leftovers! I roasted some baby redskins with Greek spices to go with along with fresh green beans. I made a three berry 'slab' pie for dessert. Haven't had one of those pies since I was a kid, but they are suddenly 'new' again, having been adopted by the foodies. LOL. My down to earth and frugal aunt who always made this at July 4 picnics would have fallen down laughing to think her cooking was being adopted by the foodies!

Comment

Midge, I'd like to come to your house for dinner!!! What is slab pie? I've never heard that term before. Is it a pie baked in a jelly roll pan? So you just cut square slices? Thanks for the menu suggestions.

Comment

Yes, it's just a double crust pie baked in a jelly roll pan. You cut it in squares and you can actually eat it out of your hand. Not as labor intensive as making hand pies. I made regular pate brisee in my food processor. You can use anything as filling, but if you use frozen fruit thaw and drain first or it might be too goopy and runny. I used 6 C. of filling, just season it as you would for any pie filling. The hardest part is rolling out the dough to fit the pan correctly. I had to rechill and try again. I hadn't had these literally since I was a kid and my aunt always made them for our family gatherings, which were large. I'm wondering now if maybe they were an adaptation from depression era frugal eating - much easier to stretch the number of servings in a rectangular pie. And of course so much less messy for casual dining. Anyone know the history of these? I'm sure there are recipes out there on the internet since they seem trendy. Edit - forgot to mention that before baking I sprinkled the top crust with sparkling sugar but I just used white, no fancy flag motifs!

Here's a recipe from a foodie site. This is pretty close to what I did. They try to say Martha Stewart developed this, but that's just wrong. More likely Martha remembers her mom making these when she was small.

https://food52.com/blog/7125-martha-stewart-s-slab-pie
                        Last edited by Midge; July 3, 2016, 10:22 AM. Reason: link

Comment

Originally posted by Midge View Post
                          I made this dish for guests last evening - and it was delicious! It smelled so wonderful, too with all the lemon. Everyone loved it and there were NO leftovers! ......
                          So glad this was a hit! And the nice thing is it isn't too difficult or complicated to make. I think it is a great company meal, as well.

Comment

Thanks for the recipe for the pie slabs too. I remember my Aunt when I was little making something like that with Pumpkin pie filling (no top crust) of course she was brought up in the depression and would have seen her mother make this too. My grandpa used to love desserts (my grandma told me so) so I could picture them making this to make a pie go further.

Comment

I made this the other night and it was really good. My only problem was that the skins "stuck" to the pan when I turned them over. I used a really large cast iron frying pan that was my Mom's. Perhaps it wasn't seasoned well enough. I used it because it was large and I could put it right in the oven. I suppose I could use my non-stick next time and then transfer them to a baking dish to put in the oven. Did anyone else have problems with the skins coming off?
                              I am Sew Blessed!
                              Alina

Comment

Working...
                              X