Creamy and Delicious Hummus Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creamy and Delicious Hummus Recipe

WOW! It works! If you're a fan of hummus and cringe at the price here's an excellent recipe for it. Getting it creamy like the store-bought hummus was something I could never accomplish. Here's the trick. I know you are saying, "No way! Peel a chickpea?" I tried it and it took just a few minutes to peel a 14 oz. can of chickpeas (no lie). A tiny squeeze and the skin pops right off. It makes the creamiest, super creamy and really delicious hummus I've ever made. I was so excited I thought I'd share the recipe. Here it is:

How To Make Ultra Smooth Homemade Hummus | Neighborfood

The tahini paste at Ralph's was about $8.99, BUT, I probably have enough in this can to make two more batches of hummus. The hummus I made is close to 16 ounces compared to 10 ounces in the store-bought container I purchased at Sprout's.
    Go forth and make hummus, guys! It's good for you.
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; January 30th, 2016, 01:07 PM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Re: Creamy and Delicious Hummus Recipe

I just happen to have an open can in my fridge right now for salad and had to go check. Did not know it had that skin! She talked about the easiest way of remoing the skin. Have you seen food segments where people shake garlic in two bowls to remove the skin? I wonder if that would work?

Thanks for the tip!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

The chickpeas would probably fall apart while you're shaking and make it difficult to separate out the skins. I'm only guessing. If you try it and it works please let m know. However, peeling them was super easy to do. I couldn't get over the difference. When I've made hummus in the past it always comes out grainy. I don't really have an issue with the graininess but thought I'd give this a try to see if it works. I am amazed at how creamy it is. If you try the recipe make sure you just add enough of the chickpea juice to make it the thickness you like. If you add it all it will probably be too thin.
      Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; January 30th, 2016, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Wow, thanks. I have been buying small containers at Aldi's for $1.99. I will definitely try this!

Comment

I have an update. I shook the beans in the tupperware,maybe 1/3 can and it did loosen the skin so it slid off easier. So maybe try a little at a time. They didn't fall apart either!
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
            I have an update. I shook the beans in the tupperware,maybe 1/3 can and it did loosen the skin so it slid off easier. So maybe try a little at a time. They didn't fall apart either!
            The two bowls for removing garlic skin work fantastically well, too!!
            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Thanks for letting us know about your experiment, Lorie.

Comment

Thanks so much for this tip! I hate to pay supermarket or deli prices for hummus, but I never cared for the graininess when I make it from dried chickpeas at home. I will definitely try this as soon as I need a fresh batch.

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
                  Thanks for letting us know about your experiment, Lorie.
                  Your welcome It was only because I had them. lol I have been wanting to make my own for awhile. It's much more than $2 here as you can imagine. You can freeze it too. I'll try that next since I'm somewhat single.
                  Can I Freeze Hummus?
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

Great news, Lorie! I'll definitely try freezing some.

Comment

I have a friend that makes hummus and freezes it in 12 ounce containers and it comes out fine. She buys the garbanzo beans by the gallon can (much cheaper) and makes several different flavors at a time. My favorite is the roasted red pepper hummus she makes.
                      K is for Karen πŸ˜Šβ€‹..................
                      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                      T - is it TRUE?
                      H - is it HELPFUL?
                      I - is it INSPIRING?
                      N - is it NECESSARY?
                      K - is it KIND?

Comment

I made some tonight! It is chilling in the fridge for one hour. I might reduce the garlic to one clove in the future but it is still worth eating. I also didn't use fresh lemon juice but RealLemon from a new bottle. I used a food processor and may run it through the blender to make it extra smooth. It was no big deal to squeeze off the skins... I also might try to put olive oil in the mix and not just on top...I dunno.

Comment

Sounds like good super bowl food. What dippers do you use??

Comment

Brilliant - I absolutely love hummus... Bookmarking recipe.

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                              I have a friend that makes hummus and freezes it in 12 ounce containers and it comes out fine. She buys the garbanzo beans by the gallon can (much cheaper) and makes several different flavors at a time. My favorite is the roasted red pepper hummus she makes.
                              Is she gifting it or have a big storage freezer? That seems like so much.
                              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                              X