Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever had....

Fresh potatoes?
    Like dug up an hour ago delectable nuggets of goodness?
    OMGosh... I love them!

I love them steamed
    I loved them fried
    I loved them baked
    I love them caked

Keep your green eggs and ham
    Give me fresh potatoes Sam I am!!

I'm going to be rolling in the fresh taters from now until the ground freezes, so let's hear your favorite recipes.
    Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....:icon_noob:

Re: Have you ever had....

Lucky you! One of my favorites is new potatoes and creamed peas, oh that brings back memories.
    Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yummy......don't forget mashed!
      "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
      Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

My aunt and uncle had a farm. They stored the potatoes under the house to keep them cool. We always referred to them as "Aunt Meta's Potatoes." They actually tasted like something, unlike the store bought potatoes that we were used to. Her potato salad was the best. Of course it included home canned pickles, home grown onions, fresh laid eggs, etc. I know she served potatoes other ways, but honestly, that potato salad is all I can remember.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

Fresh potatoes. Cooked any way hmmmmm
          All quilts cat tested and approved.
          sigpic

Comment

Potatoes au gratin, yum!
            If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I don't usually dig up my potatoes until mid September/October.

I plant mine in buckets so that I know I got all of the potatoes. One year I missed 2 and they grew into plants the follow spring!
              sigpic
              Keep Calm and Quilt On!
              Wishing all a happy and healthy 2016.
              Paula

Comment

Oh gosh, we've had a ton of potatoes. I like them fried, steamed, roasted with olive oil and some seasonings (very yum!), I've made them with ground beef and cheese into a casserole, and have put them in my kale soup and hamburger stew. I did make a potato salad with them last year and it was so good. I've also made hash browns out of them for weekend breakfast. They last for months and we always have potatoes on hand.
                sigpicCarolyn

Comment

I like to do baked loaded shredded potatoes. Shred your potatoes I do about three to four cups for my family. Add in cream of Chicken soup or you can do the cream of mushroom or celery depends on what you have. What you start with is what you end up with for soupy so I start with one can then add about a cup of sour cream, pepper bacon bits, chunked ham and shredded cheese stir well. If on the dry side I add more sour cream maybe a dash of real butter. You want a nice thick blend not soupy. Then put shredded cheese over the top and then put in the oven covered for about 40 mins then check the potatoes. I love to do this in my dutch oven as it crisps the bottom a bit as well.
                  Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

My mom used to make creamed potatoes with the little ones.....they were pretty tasty!
                    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Baked potatoes are great, but I like nothing better than roasted potatoes. Cut them into pieces, coat with olive oil, add some seasonings (and SALT), and roast at 375 - 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. My absolute favorite. I make a big batch and then refrigerate the extras for later. I know the reheated are not as good, but as I live alone, it does save time and electricity to do it this way.

I have been reading about the good taste of freshly harvested potatoes. The best I can do is to get them from a local vegetable stand, and honestly, I could not tell the difference. Will a few days make a difference in taste? Or maybe my taste-ometer is not working very well (and that is a good possibility).
                      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Someone I know likes to eat potatoes raw. Potatoes are very good for you. I had fully loaded baked potatoes a week ago for supper. Potato, onion, bacon, cheese, sour cream, butter, salt and pepper. MMMMMMmmmmmmmm

Potato chips are my weakness.

Gosh I think I am drooling.
                        Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                          My aunt and uncle had a farm. They stored the potatoes under the house to keep them cool. We always referred to them as "Aunt Meta's Potatoes." They actually tasted like something, unlike the store bought potatoes that we were used to. Her potato salad was the best. Of course it included home canned pickles, home grown onions, fresh laid eggs, etc. I know she served potatoes other ways, but honestly, that potato salad is all I can remember.
                          I know, right?
                          It's like parsley... you have no idea it actually has a wonderful flavor until it's home grown! Not a variety made to be shipped across the US.
                          Originally posted by YellowCockatiel View Post
                          I don't usually dig up my potatoes until mid September/October.

I plant mine in buckets so that I know I got all of the potatoes. One year I missed 2 and they grew into plants the follow spring!
                          LOL, I've done that and had them produce the following year!...and I have potatoes in lots of places now.
                          I start pulling them up now but only as I need them. Because I grow so many I find trying to get them all at once a daunting task.
                          Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
                          Baked potatoes are great, but I like nothing better than roasted potatoes. Cut them into pieces, coat with olive oil, add some seasonings (and SALT), and roast at 375 - 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. My absolute favorite. I make a big batch and then refrigerate the extras for later. I know the reheated are not as good, but as I live alone, it does save time and electricity to do it this way.

I have been reading about the good taste of freshly harvested potatoes. The best I can do is to get them from a local vegetable stand, and honestly, I could not tell the difference. Will a few days make a difference in taste? Or maybe my taste-ometer is not working very well (and that is a good possibility).
                          I think the variety makes a big difference. There are literally hundreds of them.
                          I've tried 8 or 10 different ones and can tell you that russets, while they did grow for me, did Not impress me what-so-ever.
                          And I can tell you not every single person selling at a Farmer's Market grows all of their own stuff.
                          Not accusing your Market person of anything devious, just that it can be common place to "get in" things a person can't or does not want to grow.

Yukon Golds, Kennebecks, Reds, and Blues all do well here. And one thing I really like is that I've been growing from the same sets for years. I originally bought special starts, but since then I save over my own from year to year and I know they are as organic and natural as they get. Healthy soils amended with compost helps too as does the growing technique. (I hill up in mulch and compost, not dirt)

Good potatoes are a world of difference in flavor compared to grocery store and unbeknownst to many, potatoes are on the "dirty list" of produce with the highest pesticides and chemicals. They are sprayed for potato beetles on top plus the soils are treated for all kinds of nasty things. Home farmers don't have any problems beyond the beetles on the leaves and simple soapy water does the trick (if it's even needed.)

Sorry, can ya tell I love home grown spuds??
                          Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....:icon_noob:

Comment

Oh.... Yes I have... with fresh eggs and tomatoes, and onions... Indeed.

All the generations before me in my family on both sides raised HUGE gardens or farmed. They had cows and chickens for milk and eggs. I'm a farm raised girl.

Comment

We had a large potato garden when I was up in Canada. I loved the baby potatoes in particular. Just boiled and butter! One year I did can some of the left overs and they kept there flavor too. I was amazed. Carlie use to just love raw potatoes just out of the garden. She thought they were quite the treat. She's not as crazy about store bought ones I've discovered.
                              https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                              Women are Angels.
                              When someone
                              break's our wings
                              we will continue to
                              fly...usually on a
                              broomstick.
                              We're flexible like that.
                              - embroitique

Comment

Working...
                              X