Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May's French Spring Soup

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    May's French Spring Soup

    Although I like soups with cream in them they usually have too much cream/fat in them for me, this soup has only 1 cup to 48 oz of chicken broth and it is just right for me and maybe you too.

    French Spring Soup

    3 tablespoons butter
    1 onion, chopped
    4 carrots, chopped
    4 potatoes, chopped
    1 48 oz can of chicken broth - I use low sodium
    1/2 cup raw rice
    10 oz package of frozen cut asparagus
    1/2 of a 10 oz package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup cream, heavy or light - I use light (Half n Half doesn't work as well)

    Melt butter in a large soup pot, add the chopped onions and slowly sauté them til they are soft
    Add the potatoes, carrots and chicken stock, bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
    Stir in rice and asparagus, cover and simmer 25 minutes.
    Add the spinach and simmer 5 minutes.
    Stir in salt and cream and simmer long enough for the cream to heat. Don't let the soup boil or the cream may separate.

    It's always iffy about how many potatoes to use as they can vary a lot in size so I use an amount about equal to the carrots.
    Last edited by MayinJerset; February 22nd, 2015, 09:50 AM.

    #2
    Re: May's French Spring Soup

    Sounds delicious. I think I'll make it without the potatoes, though. I like to make my own broth, too.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

    Comment


      #3
      Re: May's French Spring Soup

      Thanks May. I'm going to give this a try this week. I don't know why, but I forget about adding asparagus to soups unless the asparagus is the star. This sounds delicious.

      Comment


        #4
        Re: May's French Spring Soup

        Hmmmm, got my taste buds going.
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

        "...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

        Comment


          #5
          Re: May's French Spring Soup

          Thanks, May! It will be a pleasure to try it!

          Comment


            #6
            Re: May's French Spring Soup

            I could live on soup, and this sounds wonderful.
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

            Marilyn......
            sigpic

            Comment


              #7
              Re: May's French Spring Soup

              Sounds really good! I think next time asparagus is on sale I'm going to blanch and freeze it. It's really expensive here.
              🌺 Lorie

              Comment


                #8
                Re: May's French Spring Soup

                Thinking of making this soup this weekend, maybe it will help feel more like Spring instead of an extended Winter.

                Asparagus aren't always available and when they are they are pretty expensive so I either leave them out or use some sring beans instead.
                MissMay AKA May in Jersey

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: May's French Spring Soup

                  Ohhh, that looks good. I love homemade soups
                  https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                  Women are Angels.
                  When someone
                  break's our wings
                  we will continue to
                  fly...usually on a
                  broomstick.
                  We're flexible like that.
                  - embroitique

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: May's French Spring Soup

                    Originally posted by MayinJerset View Post
                    Although I like soups with cream in them they usually have too much cream/fat in them for me, this soup has only 1 cup to 48 oz of chicken broth and it is just right for me and maybe you too.

                    French Spring Soup

                    3 tablespoons butter
                    1 onion, chopped
                    4 carrots, chopped
                    4 potatoes, chopped
                    1 48 oz can of chicken broth - I use low sodium
                    1/2 cup raw rice
                    10 oz package of frozen cut asparagus
                    1/2 of a 10 oz package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
                    1/2 teaspoon salt
                    1 cup cream, heavy or light - I use light (Half n Half doesn't work as well)

                    Melt butter in a large soup pot, add the chopped onions and slowly sauté them til they are soft
                    Add the potatoes, carrots and chicken stock, bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
                    Stir in rice and asparagus, cover and simmer 25 minutes.
                    Add the spinach and simmer 5 minutes.
                    Stir in salt and cream and simmer long enough for the cream to heat. Don't let the soup boil or the cream may separate.

                    It's always iffy about how many potatoes to use as they can vary a lot in size so I use an amount about equal to the carrots.
                    @MayinJerset
                    This Soup sounds really good. I must try this definitely.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: May's French Spring Soup

                      I love, love, love asparagus and this sounds delicious! Can't wait to try it with a nice big chunk of homemade cornbread. Thanks!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: May's French Spring Soup

                        I would suggest you to try French Red Onion Soup as it is my favorite

                        French Red onion Soup

                        Ingredeints:
                        2 red onion, very finely sliced
                        1/4 cup butter
                        2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
                        2 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth
                        2 1/2 cups water
                        6 pieces France breads, toasted
                        1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
                        1/2 cup destroyed Europe cheese

                        How to use:

                        1. Preheat oven to 425 levels F(220 levels C). Separate chopped onion into single rings.
                        2. In a medium sauce pan saute red onion in butter until soft, approximately Twenty moments. Stir in flour and gradually add soup and standard water. Bring to a boil and cook for Twenty moments.
                        3. Meanwhile, toast France breads pieces.
                        4. Place roasted breads into soup bowls. Add soup mixture over breads and spread with Parmesan and Europe dairy products. Prepare for 10 moments.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: May's French Spring Soup

                          Originally posted by bobby1987 View Post
                          I would suggest you to try French Red Onion Soup as it is my favorite

                          French Red onion Soup

                          Ingredeints:
                          2 red onion, very finely sliced
                          1/4 cup butter
                          2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
                          2 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth
                          2 1/2 cups water
                          6 pieces France breads, toasted
                          1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
                          1/2 cup destroyed Europe cheese

                          How to use:

                          1. Preheat oven to 425 levels F(220 levels C). Separate chopped onion into single rings.
                          2. In a medium sauce pan saute red onion in butter until soft, approximately Twenty moments. Stir in flour and gradually add soup and standard water. Bring to a boil and cook for Twenty moments.
                          3. Meanwhile, toast France breads pieces.
                          4. Place roasted breads into soup bowls. Add soup mixture over breads and spread with Parmesan and Europe dairy products. Prepare for 10 moments.
                          This one sounds good, never used red onions in a soup.
                          MissMay AKA May in Jersey

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: May's French Spring Soup

                            Originally posted by bobby1987 View Post
                            I would suggest you to try French Red Onion Soup as it is my favorite

                            French Red onion Soup

                            Ingredeints:
                            2 red onion, very finely sliced
                            1/4 cup butter
                            2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
                            2 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth
                            2 1/2 cups water
                            6 pieces France breads, toasted
                            1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
                            1/2 cup destroyed Europe cheese

                            How to use:

                            1. Preheat oven to 425 levels F(220 levels C). Separate chopped onion into single rings.
                            2. In a medium sauce pan saute red onion in butter until soft, approximately Twenty moments. Stir in flour and gradually add soup and standard water. Bring to a boil and cook for Twenty moments.
                            3. Meanwhile, toast France breads pieces.
                            4. Place roasted breads into soup bowls. Add soup mixture over breads and spread with Parmesan and Europe dairy products. Prepare for 10 moments.
                            "1/2 cup destroyed Europe cheese"?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: May's French Spring Soup

                              Originally posted by MissMay View Post
                              This one sounds good, never used red onions in a soup.
                              Yes, sure I follow your instruction, but let me know the reason?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X