Auntie Lizzie's onion pudding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auntie Lizzie's onion pudding

As you will all know, Yorkshire pudding was made to eek out the meat for sunday lunch. If you had a large piece of the pud you would eat less meat. A typical way the poor made expenive food go further by using cheaper food.

Aunty Lizzie made an onion pudding to serve the same purpose with pork or chicken. It is delious!

ingediants

Enough white bread crumbs to threequarter fill the oven dish you are using
    Chopped white onion
    a couple of good knobs of butter
    milk if needed
    a good pinch of dried sage if desired
    salt and pepper

bring the onion to the boil in about an inch of water. Take off heat and leave to one side.

add to the breadcrumbs the butter, salt and pepper and sage if used.

add the onion and onion water. mix it all up.

the texture should be very moist but not sloppy. If needed to get this texture add a little milk until its right.

put in a moderate oven and cook until just turning brown on the top.

i am sorry for the vague amounts etc. But if you asked aunty Lizzie how much of this or that you needed she would say.......... eeeeeeeee pet i dont know. about 'that' much.

Not very useful when you were nowhere near a kitchen and she wasnt SHOWING you how much 'that' much was lol the woman was a total stranger to weights and measures!

what i do is have the pudding ready and when i put in the roast potatoes (cooked from scratch) i also put the onion pudding into the oven.

maybe its not such a great idea to try to write out Lizzie's recipes, was harder than i thought! But my whole family still use them and absolutely love them, If you managed to work out what i am talking about, i can let you have more.

hugs
    Daisy
    Blog
    http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Re: Auntie Lizzie's onion pudding

Thank you, Daisy, for sharing your family recipe...I'll sure give it a try. Barb
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Sounds just about the way I make dressing for the Thanksgiving turkey!
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Sounds delish, Daisy. How did she roast the potatoes?

Comment

peel and cut potatoes into medium pieces, bring to boil and simmer for about ten minutes. While your poatoes are boiling heat sunflower or vegtable oil in a shallow baking tin. Drain potaoes and then shake in the empty pan to break the surface. When the oil is SMOKING hot, add and turn the potatoes in the oil. cook in a moderate to hot oven for about 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.

Aunty Lizzy would have used lard to roast the potatoes in but this is a heart attck in a pan.........so best not eh?
          Blog
          http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
          X