• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tropical Fruit Pasta Salad

Tropical Fruit Pasta Salad
    “Frog Eye Salad”

Box of acini de pepe
    2 20 oz cans of chunk pineapple, well drained (save juice)
    1 20 oz can of crushed pineapple, well drained (save juice)
    2 15 oz. cans of mandarin oranges, drained
    Mini-marshmallows
    Coconut
    Cool whip (it calls for 8 oz.----could use more)

Sauce:
    1 C. sugar
    ½ tsp. salt
    2 T. flour
    2 eggs, beaten well
    1 ¾ C pineapple juice

Mix flour, sugar, and salt together well in a medium saucepan. Add juice and eggs. Stir well and then cook until thick, stirring constantly.

Pasta:
    Boil 3 qts. Water with 1 T. of oil and 2 tsp. salt. Add acini de pepe. Cook 10-12 minutes cooking only until el dente. Drain, rinse and drain again. Cool, add sauce. Then add mandarin oranges and pineapple. Refrigerate overnight.

Add 1C+ mini marshmallows, 1C+ coconut, and an 8 oz container of whipped topping

Re: Tropical Fruit Pasta Salad

Your recipes are sewwwww good. I was in the kitchen yesterday and found a Paula Dean Book,you know the blank pages book you write your favorite Paula Dean recipes in? I swear I thought about marking out her name and Putting "mlt15o Favorite Recipes" in its place. My DD said "WHAT?" I said "Never mind"

Comment

I am going to make this recipe. I have a daughter that loves pasta and this is perfect for her. I also made you steamed barveque ribs, I added liquid smoke to water just delicious.

Comment

I've been making this for years. There are a few tricks -- where you have add juice and eggs -- ADD EGGS first, mix in thoroughly, then add in the juice. You can also do 1 1/2 of the sauce part to add in more of a sauciness to it. I add in sometimes multicolor/flavor marshmallows to adjust the flavor. I also buy mandarin oranges in juice -- and use that juice in addition to the pineapple. I've even bought the concentrated orange/pineapple juice from the frozen section and will use that straight up as part of the juice -- adds a lot of flavor and allows one to cut back on the sugar because of the orange juice sweetness.
        (can you tell I do this really often? 5 kids -- I have to double it at least and it is inhaled so quickly.)
        Melanee

Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Comment

Sounds delicious! Must look for this pasta....not in my current pantry! On the list to get and try!

Comment

I was going to ask what type of coconut, ie dessicated, shaved, flaked etc but then realised I didn't recognise the pasta, I don't think we have it here in Australia, I've never seen it.
            Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Originally posted by RFREE View Post
              Your recipes are sewwwww good. I was in the kitchen yesterday and found a Paula Dean Book,you know the blank pages book you write your favorite Paula Dean recipes in? I swear I thought about marking out her name and Putting "mlt15o Favorite Recipes" in its place. My DD said "WHAT?" I said "Never mind"
              I sew agree, Rhonda! Her recipes are true keepers!
              Sewing mends the soul.
              sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
              Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
              ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                I was going to ask what type of coconut, ie dessicated, shaved, flaked etc but then realised I didn't recognise the pasta, I don't think we have it here in Australia, I've never seen it.
                Use flaked coconut and the smallest pasta you can find and I think it will work for you. Dianne

Comment

Thanks Dianne, when I get rid of the bug that is currently making wish I was dead I will check out the supermarket, the recipe sounds too nice not to try.
                  Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

I've used any tiny pasta -- it is quite very tiny -- in our Hispanic area one can get gears that are tiny and stars, alphabet shaped pasta,.... I've had to use all of them depending on where I live because it can be hard to get one's hands on it. (I skip the coconut because my kids don't like the texture. I do add in extra mandarin oranges. YUM)
                    Melanee

Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Comment

"Frog Eye Salad" at our house. Just made it for 4th of July and it was delicious!

I have an short cut from my sister Becky. Instead of cooking the sauce, use instant vanilla pudding and I use milk as well as the juice from the drained fruits in the instant vanilla pudding. Yummy!

Comment

Working...
                      X