appetizer recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

appetizer recipes?

I don't cook a lot since I live alone, but I periodically need to take something to a potluck. I generally take dessert since I'm a better baker than cook. I'd like to have a couple good appetizer recipes though and of course would prefer healthy and quick ones. : ) If you don't have healthy ones, I can make do with delicious ones. Any great ones to share?

Re: appetizer recipes?

People know better not to ask me for dessert. I was a baker/pastry cook for way too long. lol

I get really great ideas from Pinterest and you always have a picture to refer too. If you see something on sale you can look it up under a certain item like mushrooms. There is a fun sushi there where you hollow out a cucumber and stuff it. It's really pretty.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Somewhere in this thread are some recipes for cheese balls. Sandy Navas posted something that I think is great, it's not so much the cheese ball recipe, but the serving idea.

Make whatever cheese ball recipe you like, stuff the mixture into cleaned, hollowed out bell peppers, red, green, yellow, etc. Chill until firm. When ready to serve, slice the pepper (and cheese) into rings, then cut into wedges. Serve on crackers. Those cheese stuffed peppers travel really well to potlucks and you don't have to worry about any dish, other than a serving platter.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

This is my go to appetizer.

Salmon Tarts

4 oz to 6 oz of smoked salmon
        8 oz of softened cream cheese
        2 tsps. of grated onion
        1/2 to 1 tsp of lemon juice
        whipped cream or half & half -- just enough to make the mixture smooth
        Prepackaged tart shells
        Caviar
        Parsley

Put the salmon, cream and onion in a food processor and pulse to blend. Add cream to make it smooth and easier to pipe.

Pipe or spoon into tart pastry shells (available in the frozen food department). Top with caviar for a final touch or a silver of salmon and chopped parsley. I have also used capers on the top.

It makes about 24 to 36 tarts and are easy to store until time to go to the party.

You can adjust the ingredients to meet your taste. Also I have used both red and black caviar, but be sure and rinse or drain the black caviar as sometimes it is will 'leak' into the salmon and doesn't look to appetizing, but they are still eaten at a rapid pace!

Comment

Good ideas! Thanks.

I did look at the Pinterest site and pinned a couple.

Comment

My favorite is so simple and quick to make and people love them. No cooking involved at all.

1 pkg. fresh pineapple spears, cut into chunks
            1 pkg.chedder cheese chunks
            1 jar large pimento- stuffed olives, well drained
            1 pkg, fancy plastic picks (I get mine from The Dollar Tree.)

Thread onto a pick: a chunk of pineapple, a chunk of cheese and an olive. Line them up on a pretty platter and watch them disappear. You can make them the day before and store in the frig on a platter slid into a large ziplock bag. Perfect way to carry somewhere. I never have any to bring home.

Comment

I'm a big fan of hummus and pita chips. It can be time consuming if you peel all the skins off the beans like I do, but you don't have to. A few steps further, I like to layer hummus, tabbouli and feta in a square dish as a dip. Let me know if you need recipes.

Another favorite is antipasto sausage skewers with Italian sausage pieces, roasted red pepper, basil leaves, sun dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts.
              Last edited by SisterDi; March 16, 2014, 09:51 PM.

Comment

My family's favorite: Soften a block of cream cheese, gently spread out on a plate. Sprinkle with tiny shrimp and pour on one jar of Homemade Chili Sauce. This comes in a round glass jar, it is slightly sweet. Serve with crackers or Pita chips. You can also use salsa instead of the chili sauce.
                Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Comment

Originally posted by tesspug View Post
                  My family's favorite: Soften a block of cream cheese, gently spread out on a plate. Sprinkle with tiny shrimp and pour on one jar of Homemade Chili Sauce. This comes in a round glass jar, it is slightly sweet. Serve with crackers or Pita chips. You can also use salsa instead of the chili sauce.
                  I have had the softened cream cheese with salsa on top served with corn or tortilla chips and it's easy to make and good to eat.
                  Last edited by MayinJerset; June 21, 2014, 11:20 AM.

Comment

8 oz. Softened cream cheese
                    3/4 c. chopped pecans
                    chopped chives
                    Add milk to soften
                    salt to taste

Stir all ingredients

Stuff 1/2 seeded jalapeno peppers (I remove the membranes as well, not a fan of a lot of heat)
                    Or you can stuff 3- to 4-inch pieces of celery

It's a traditions for our family on holidays

You can also put the stuffing in a container and let folks stuff their own. If you're into healthy, you can buy the lower or no-fat cream cheese.

Dolly

Comment

These are super simple...
                      Deli salami and provolone cut into strips and folded into squares,
                      black olives, artichokes, green olives skewered onto mid size wooden skewers, then drizzled with Good Seasons Italian dressing.
                      I really need to get off the exclamation point.
                      It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

JEEZ. That's it?
                        I killed another thread??
                        I really need to get off the exclamation point.
                        It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

I make Spinach dip... Houstons' Steak house Spinach dip!

1 8oz pkg of Cream cheese.
                          1 Jar of marinated artichoke hearts
                          1 10 oz pkg of frozen chopped spinach (thaw and drain)
                          2 cups Shredded mozzarella cheese
                          2 eggs (beaten)
                          1/2 grated Parmesan cheese
                          2 tsp minced garlic
                          1/2 cup cream or milk. (Not 1%)

Chop artichoke hearts with marinade in food processor and add cream cheese, pulse to incorporate, Mix the eggs, garlic, spinach, Parmesan, in till all is incorporated, add the Mozzarella and cream in and mix well. Pour into greased deep dish pie plate. Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes and the edges are nicely browned. Serve with corn tortilla chips! It's wonderful!

Comment

If you like a Rueben sandwich.. you will like this.

Rueben Dip

3 pkgs sliced corned beed
                            3/4 lb Swiss Cheese shredded
                            1 can sauerkraut, drained, chopped
                            16 oz Thousand island dressing

Mix all together and bake in a buttered deep dish pie plate
                            at 325 for 40 minutes, till hot and bubbly.

Serve with Party Rye bread slices.

Comment

My family favorite Cheese dip...

1/2 large block of Velveeta Cheese (cubed)
                              1 can of diced Rotel tomatoes
                              1 can of Lipton condensed Cheddar Cheese soup
                              1 can of water

Put the can of water and the Rotel with juice into pan with cubed Velveeta
                              Bring to simmer, whisk slowly till Velveeta is melted. (Being carful not to scorch).
                              Add the Cheddar cheese soup and stir in till dissolved.
                              Serve with Corn Tortilla chips.

We like to fill a bowl with chips and pour the lovely cheese dip over it.
                              This is the ONE recipe each of my kids has called home to get first thing
                              after getting their own places. They ask for many recipes... but this is always the first recipe!

Comment

Working...
                              X