Organizing your pantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organizing your pantry

Today there was a post about organizing so I posted herbs and spices. Here is a list of mine in order. Add and subtract as you like This will help from buying duplicates!

allspice
    bayleaf
    celery seed
    cinnamon
    chili powder
    cloves (ground)
    coriander
    cream of tartar
    cumin
    dill
    garlic powder
    ginger
    italian seasoning
    nutmeg
    oregano (ground)
    paprika (smoked)
    rosemary leaves
    sage (rubbed)
    tarragon
    thyme
    white pepper
    🌺 Lorie

Re: Organizing your pantry

That might work if I could keep DH out of the cupboards. As soon as I organize them he needs something from the back and then just shoves it back in anywhere. Sometimes not even on the same shelf.
    Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

I also have mine in alphabetical order and they are in a little track in a drawer. My husband knows better than to mess with them!
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Love this! I have three of some things. I am going to dedicate my next snow day to taking inventory.
        My friends call me Peggy
        The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

I don't like him in there either, but if he is using the spices then he is cooking and I'm not, so I guess it's a trade off
          Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Originally posted by PeggyM View Post
            Love this! I have three of some things. I am going to dedicate my next snow day to taking inventory.
            That's what I was trying to do. I started making crockpot meals and saw that some of these were getting repeated in the recipes. I took them all out and had my laptop and did the list. I have more but they are sort of random. A cool salt I bought at a fair etc.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
              I also have mine in alphabetical order and they are in a little track in a drawer. My husband knows better than to mess with them!
              Poor monkey man. lol
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

I don't even know what I have in there...probably mostly outdated....but they're all outdated on the same shelf. I really do need to get the cabinets cleaned out. I got a couple cleaned and need to finish it up.
                Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

How long do spices last for and also, does honey ever expire?
                  Good friends are like quilts, they age with you but, never lose their warmth

Lori

Comment

This is a good article on herbs and spices
                    How Long Do Spices Last? And Other Spicy Questions | Mrs. Fields Secrets

I always hear honey can last forever. If it crystalizes you can heat that down. Then I read that you shouldn't keep honey in the dark. I'd have to look into that more. Seems strange.
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Thank you Lorie, I have been wasting my money throwing them out every 6 months. I know better now and I can't sprinkle the spice right into the pot I'm cooking in. You really helped me.
                      About the honey, I keep mine in the refrigerator and I will keep an eye on it. You say it shouldn't be left in the dark, well, when you close the refrigerator door, the light goes out, LOL, LOL, LOL. I know, I'm a nut.
                      Good friends are like quilts, they age with you but, never lose their warmth

Lori

Comment

I'd just love to have a pantry! I do have a very large lazy susan that is crammed full of everything!
                        TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

I replace my spices every six months I do a weird thing with the spice (tin) containers. Almost 40 yrs ago my mom sent me all kinds of spices when we lived in Germany when my DH was in the service.
                          Since that time every time I replace the spices I dump the old spices from the original containers( they don't make tin containers any more) & replace it with the new spices. I even do this with my baking powder & baking soda( which is in a box)
                          I suppose it sounds weird but I did it cuz my mom spend time sending all that stuff to me!!!
                          All the containers do not have the UPC bat codes on them... These containers would be antiques now I imagine!!!
                          Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                          http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Great idea.... I have SO MANY spices I need more than one drawer.. add mustard (ground) mustard seed, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes.......and it goes on and on and on..................LOL
                            Donna
                            MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

sigpic

Comment

I have 2 racks on my pantry door with the ones I use alot. The rest are in the cabinet over the stove thats quite a bit. I organized like this because I could A) never find the one I needed, or B) because I couldn't find it bought another. I have 3 basils... Not OCD enough to get them alphabetical as my son also cooks and they would never stay anyway.
                              sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                              Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                              Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                              X