Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipes for pasta sauce (from Scratch) to go with meatballs ?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipes for pasta sauce (from Scratch) to go with meatballs ?!?

Please help, saw the delicious recipe for the italian meatballs. Could anyone please give me a recipe for the sauce. I try to make a basic tomato sauce but, when I taste it, its not right its as if something is missing.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Its almost impossible to get veal here, in the UK veal is classified as cruel to the animal, if you do come across it, it costs a fortune.

Re: Recipes for pasta sauce (from Scratch) to go with meatballs ?!?

For Sauce? I like a slow cooked sweet sauce. I was raised in an Irish/Italian neighborhood. I've made it this way forever.

2- 15 oz cans stewed Tomatoes (crush in blender)
    2 - 15 oz cans Tomato Sauce
    1 can of Tomato paste
    2 Teaspoons of dry Marjoram
    2 Teaspoons of dry Basil
    3 - 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped.
    1 Tablespoon of sugar ( if you like a sweet sauce)

Mix altogether bring to a simmer and let simmer 20 to 30 minutes. I make my meatballs and par cook them in the oven, then add them to the sauce to finish cooking slowly. (They get nice and tender).

Comment

I use pretty much the same recipe that Kensington uses, except I use less sugar......( I use a teaspoon not a tablespoon )
      Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
      http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

I like this one. If I can't get good tomatoes canned works great too. I used to work for a French chef and he asked what do you want for lunch, it was just that kind of restaurant. I said spaghetti and he just whipped it together just like this. Yummy.

Fresh Tomato, Basil, and Garlic Sauce over Angel Hair Pasta Recipe : Wolfgang Puck : Recipes : Food Network

I make turkey meatballs
        Last edited by Hulamoon; January 18, 2014, 05:27 AM.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Got this from my friend whose grandparents ran an italian restaurant for 40 years. Italian to the core.

heat equal amount of olive oil and butter together in a deep saucepan (like 2 Tbsp. butter w/2 Tbsp. olive oil). When warm, add 1 chopped onion ( ise shallots instead). Saute until limp and translucent. Add 2 28 oz(?) cans crushed tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add 1 Tbsp, oregano, 1 Tbsp. marjoram, chopped parsley(dried ok). Simmer 20 minutes. Add 2 Tbsp. tomato paste and cook down for about 30 min. Add basil to taste. Taste. Add brown sugar if too tart. Yum. I make swedish meatballs to use in it. It's my grandmothers recipe.
          Home is where your mother is..........;)

Comment

Thanks for all the recipes, guess what we are having for supper tomorrow xxx

Comment

A lot of people use Oregano in their sauce... But, I don't. I don't like Oregano... no even my sauce.

Comment

If you cook a piece of pork or sausage in your sauce, it cuts the acidity of the tomatoes and gives a nice smooth sweet flavor, AND don't forget the wine! The alcohol cooks out and the flavor remains. Nice sauce Kensington, I use almost the same. Raised in NYC in the same type of neighborhood. My italian friends and family called their sauce "gravy". I thought because it contained meat??? My grandmother who was of German backround did not make sauce well. She was a phenomenal cook and baker except for this. It consisted of opening a can of Hunts tomato sauce and adding a piece of butter. UGH, and the spaghetti was overcooked and mushy. I never liked pasta until I experienced great sauce at my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by alliek View Post
                  If you cook a piece of pork or sausage in your sauce, it cuts the acidity of the tomatoes and gives a nice smooth sweet flavor, AND don't forget the wine! The alcohol cooks out and the flavor remains. Nice sauce Kensington, I use almost the same. Raised in NYC in the same type of neighborhood. My italian friends and family called their sauce "gravy". I thought because it contained meat??? My grandmother who was of German backround did not make sauce well. She was a phenomenal cook and baker except for this. It consisted of opening a can of Hunts tomato sauce and adding a piece of butter. UGH, and the spaghetti was overcooked and mushy. I never liked pasta until I experienced great sauce at my friends.
                  Oh yeah, my mil used to cook her Italian sausage and some neck bones in her sauce... She made it a bit thinner and let it simmer for a couple hours. She dropped her sausage and meatballs in raw and cooked them in the sauce... SOOOOO Tender.

One of my friends called it gravy, another called it sugo... It depends on where in Italy they come from. Each region calls it different and makes it a bit different... And it matters to them too! LOL.
                  Last edited by kensington; January 18, 2014, 06:00 PM.

Comment

A bit late on my comment here but I always add some of my sauce into the meatball mixture before cooking - IMO just adds a bit more flavor.

Comment

I need to try your 'Authentic' recipes.

I also have an Italian heritage, but unfortunately for me, none of the Italian women migrated to America, only some of the men, and I don't have any of their recipes.

But, here are the recipes that I use for my family:

Spaghetti Sauce: (I also use this for my Lasagna too)

Brown 1# hamburger with 1 chopped onion, drain.
                      Add 1 can tomato soup, and 3 cans tomato sauce.
                      Add 1 teas. each of Italian Seasoning, Oregano, Basil, and Garlic Powder.
                      Add 1 teas. of Molasses and simmer for 1/2 an hour.

Chicken Cacciatore:

3 1/2 cans sieved tomatoes or 3 8oz cans of tomato sauce with enough water to make 3 1/3 cups
                      1 teas each of Salt, Oregano, chopped Parsley
                      1/2 teas each of pepper and garlic pwdr.
                      1 cup chopped mushrooms
                      Add chunks of chicken breast and simmer on low with lid until chicken is cooked and tender, remove lid and simmer a little longer to reduce. Serve over fettuccine or rice or fried potatoes.
                      sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

Another NYC girl here, Italian too. My mother loved to add pork sausage, butt or when times were tough pork neckbones to her tomato sauce, gravy is brown and goes on roast beef. I started making tomato sauce at an early age, had to stand on a chair to strain the canned tomatoes into the pot because my grandfather said the seeds got under his false teeth. Back then I followed my mother's directions, sauté the pork/sausage in a olive oil, add a small can of tomato paste, then a fill the can with water to scrape out the rest of the paste and mix with the oil in the pan. No garlic - think father or grandfather didn't like it, no dried herbs either unless we cut a piece of fresh basil from neighbors back yard. Then I added 1 or 2 large cans of tomatoes, stirred and simmered for an hour or so. Tomatoes and paste had to be Redpack and macaroni was Ronzoni. After the sauce got going I made the meatballs, fried them until a little brown and crusty and then put them into sauce pot to finish cooking.

Over the years my sisters and I have changed our mother's recipe, my sisters because they married Italian guys who wanted the sauce their mother made and I changed to leaner meats and much less olive oil. I skip the tomato paste and use crushed tomatoes, sometimes add garlic if I have it and sprinkle salt, pepper, basil and oregano over everything. I still favor Ronzoni macaroni but at time have used other brands. Thing is I hardly make my own sauce any longer, use jars of Classico Tomato and Basil sauce and save the jars to store stuff in. After washing the jar tops I put a teaspoon of bleach in them so all traces of sauce are gone.

Funny aside, one time my sisters Carol, Patti and I were discussing how we make tomato sauce, sister Carol rolls meat balls in bread crumbs before frying and when it was Patti's turn she said she didn't make the sauce, her husband did!

Making a pot of split pea soup for tonight's dinner but somehow I'm really desiring some meatballs and macaroni or spaghetti.
                        Last edited by MayinJerset; January 22, 2014, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Someone said don't forget the wine and I did. If I have a bottle of wine open I'll add about 1 cup to the sauce, doesn't matter red or white as long as it isn't a sweet wine. Definitely going to make a pot of sauce tomorrow.

Comment

Contadina paste 6oz cans {2 roasted garlic and 2 Italian seasonings} If you can't find the roasted garlic then, get the herb one.
                            " " 28oz tomato puree ( 1 )
                            " " 28 oz crushed tomatoes ( 1 )
                            add what spices you want.

Put a little oil in the bottom of a pan, add the garlic, (we like a lot of garlic) Add all of your paste and stir really well. Add the puree and crushed tomatoes and add 2- 28oz cans of water. Stir really well and then add a descent amount of Parmesan Oregiano.
                            Simmer 6-8 hours with cover off. I usually double the batch. I throw in either, ground sirloin or hot sausage or meatballs which I bake in the oven and then throw them in the sauce.
                            Good friends are like quilts, they age with you but, never lose their warmth

Lori

Comment

Use all Contadina products
                              Good friends are like quilts, they age with you but, never lose their warmth

Lori

Comment

Working...
                              X