Spaghetti Sauce Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spaghetti Sauce Please!

Does anyone have a really good spaghetti sauce recipe? Joe and I don't eat much meat these days so I'm looking for something that is thick, delicious and with veggies only. I just made some sauce from a recipe on-line and it is super thick which I like (actually had to add water.) I added chorizo sausage in it (guests are meat-eaters). They didn't have Italian sausage in the market so I thought I'd go with the chorizo. Not quite the taste I was going for. I hope it's going to be good enough to serve. It made plenty of sauce so we might have some tonight to test it out. Most of the time, we'll probably eat at the pubs since we'll be out touring. However, I wanted to have a couple of items in the fridge just in case we eat in. I also made "Curried Butternut Squash Soup". It's delicious and will be great with a quick salad and some bread.

Anyway, if you have a tomato-based spaghetti sauce you just love I'd be so happy if you would take the time to type it out for your pal, Rebecca.

Only thing left to do is dye my hair and clean the bathroom. No sewing for a few days. Don't want to make a mess. LOL
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; April 19, 2011, 06:37 AM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Re: Spaghetti Sauce Please!

Yes, but it involves two 40 pound boxes of Roma tomatoes, several onions, a couple of garlic heads, fresh herbs, some wine if you want, and about 3 days. It doesn't sound like it will fit your "no mess" guidelines either.
    As for the veggie part, I just quickly saute whatever fresh veggies are handy in a touch of olive oil to soften them a bit, and dump them into the sauce. I also cube and freeze leftover chicken, pork, etc. to toss into the sauce too. Makes a quick meal.
    Have fun with your company!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks Toggpine. That sounds like alotta pasta sauce. Hahaha. We ate the sauce I made tonight and decided it is definitely not something to serve to guests. It was a mistake adding the chorizo. It added a smoky flavor to the sauce. Not too appealing.

Comment

Rebecca
        I always add some wine, zucchinni - grated if it needs thickening, slices just for the veggie, mushrooms, a pinch of sugar for the tartness of tomatoes and believe it or not, some coffee. It creates the flavor or a long simmer. I am a kitchen sink cooker when it comes to spaghetti sauce. Whatever I have on hand is what goes in. Sorry about the chorizo. We aren't too fond of that here. Probably because I don't have the right recipe for it.
        Sewing mends the soul.
        sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
        Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
        ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Coffee!?! How much? I assume it's been brewed first. I'm willing to give it a try but this one is a new one on me. Right now, I have come up with a simple red sauce that I'll use over fresh tortellini that we bought at the store instead of spaghetti. I think I'll have time to make the sauce early afternoon after I finish cleaning that dang bathroom. Such a hateful job! They're flight gets in around 4 so they won't get to Victoria Station until 5 or later. I should have plenty of time before I have to hoof it down to the station to meet them.
          Originally posted by Blondie View Post
          Rebecca
          I always add some wine, zucchinni - grated if it needs thickening, slices just for the veggie, mushrooms, a pinch of sugar for the tartness of tomatoes and believe it or not, some coffee. It creates the flavor or a long simmer. I am a kitchen sink cooker when it comes to spaghetti sauce. Whatever I have on hand is what goes in. Sorry about the chorizo. We aren't too fond of that here. Probably because I don't have the right recipe for it.
          Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; April 19, 2011, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Snap, Rebecca, I just made stock for a curried butternut soup. Yumm.
            Mary B.

Comment

This recipe has lowfat coconut milk in it with a bit of dried red pepper for a slight kick! It's delicious!
              Originally posted by MaryB View Post
              Snap, Rebecca, I just made stock for a curried butternut soup. Yumm.
              Mary B.

Comment

Working...
              X