Cabbage rolls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabbage rolls

O.k. ladies I am not good at writing recipes( never use a recipe) but this is as accurate as I can get.
    1& 1/2 Lb ground chuck
    3/4 cup minute rice
    1 egg
    1can tomato sauce(divided)
    1/2 an onion chopped
    1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1 tbs garlic pepper
    7 cabbage leaves(boiled in water about 3-5 minutes)drained and cooled.

Mix all ingredients use about 1/4 cup of tomato sauce in this mixture.(reserve the rest) If it is to "soupy" you can crumble up a few crackers to tighten it up a little.
    Make (depending on how big you want them) balls out of this and wrap them in the cabbage leaves.(I usually end up with 6 or 7) I put seam sides down and pour remaining tomato sauce (a little in the bottom before you put rolls in the pan and the rest over the rolls. I bake them in a casserole dish covered on 350 degrees x 60 minutes. This is my moms concoction and today would have been her birthday so I just had to make them this afternoon. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do. Oh yea it goes good with corn bread too!!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RFREE; April 17, 2011, 05:50 PM.

Re: Cabbage rolls

Thanks so much for sharing your mom's recipe on her birthday! Those are treasured memories that we can share with others - thanks!

Comment

Must have made your Mom just beam knowing you made her favorite !

I have another suggestion - layer the ingredients into an 8 x 8 (Use Pam Spray) pan. Easier than rolling each one and makes a delicious casserole! I have done this several times and it is yummy.

Comment

This sounds like an excellent dish! The only thing that we would add is Cayenne pepper to taste because we like spicy foods. Thanks for sharing.
        You're invited to visit our site at ScrapperTown.com.

Comment

Yum. Gonna have to try this one. Thanks!
          ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Sounds yummy, I would add some spice. I like spicy Ethiopian dishes.
            Last edited by sewsoft; July 28, 2011, 04:42 PM.

Comment

How do you get from a head of cabbage to the boiled leaves? Do you boil the whole head? What do you do with the rest of the cabbage? See, I've never made stuffed cabbage so I need baby step directions.

Comment

Rhonda, This looks and sounds so good. My Mom used to make these when I was a kid and I haven't had them for years. Thanks for sharing....Barb
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

OOOH that sounds yummy and super easy, been looking for a Cabbage Roll recipe I'll try this one for sure. I bet they would be good with Cole Slaw made from the rest of the head of cabbage along with the corn bread. Thanks for sharing such a special recipe.
                  Mary
                  A bed without a quilt, is like a sky without stars:)

Comment

Working...
                  X