Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question for our Norwegian Quilty Friends!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question for our Norwegian Quilty Friends!

I guess this is a good spot to ask about this Norwegian treat! It's called Lefse (Smurt tykklefse med kanel. We bought this little dessert while in Norway. Do you ladies have a recipe for making it? Perhaps you could send me a recipe (in english) if you have one.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Re: A question for our Norwegian Quilty Friends!

I am NOT Norwegian but here's a great recipe for you:

Lefse
    Ingredients

* 10 pounds potatoes, peeled
    * 1/2 cup butter
    * 1/3 cup heavy cream
    * 1 tablespoon salt
    * 1 tablespoon white sugar
    * 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Directions

1. Cover potatoes with water and cook until tender. Run hot potatoes through a potato ricer. Place into a large bowl. Beat butter, cream, salt, and sugar into the hot riced potatoes. Let cool to room temperature.
    2. Stir flour into the potato mixture. Pull off pieces of the dough and form into walnut size balls. Lightly flour a pastry cloth and roll out lefse balls to 1/8 inch thickness.
    3. Cook on a hot (400 degree F/200 C) griddle until bubbles form and each side has browned. Place on a damp towel to cool slightly and then cover with damp towel until ready to serve.

Or try this: http://www.lefsetime.com/all_about_l...structions.php
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

What is a potato ricer?
      Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

It Looks like a garlic crusher but bigger
        Maggie
        Quilting with a friend will keep you in stitches.

Comment

What an interesting dessert!
          There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Originally posted by debinmalaga View Post
            What an interesting dessert!
            I can see them with applesauce or sour cream and a raspberry preserve!!!!!!!! Making me hungry.

Comment

Thanks, Sandy. I've got a bag of potatoes in the kitchen right now and was wondering what to do with them. No potato ricer though. Trying to grate them would probably not work as well. Also too much labor. Ha. I'll have to see about a ricer. If I get one I'll give this a try. How did you know about Lefse?
              Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
              I am NOT Norwegian but here's a great recipe for you:

Lefse
              Ingredients

* 10 pounds potatoes, peeled
              * 1/2 cup butter
              * 1/3 cup heavy cream
              * 1 tablespoon salt
              * 1 tablespoon white sugar
              * 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Directions

1. Cover potatoes with water and cook until tender. Run hot potatoes through a potato ricer. Place into a large bowl. Beat butter, cream, salt, and sugar into the hot riced potatoes. Let cool to room temperature.
              2. Stir flour into the potato mixture. Pull off pieces of the dough and form into walnut size balls. Lightly flour a pastry cloth and roll out lefse balls to 1/8 inch thickness.
              3. Cook on a hot (400 degree F/200 C) griddle until bubbles form and each side has browned. Place on a damp towel to cool slightly and then cover with damp towel until ready to serve.

Or try this: http://www.lefsetime.com/all_about_l...structions.php

Comment

BTW The Lefse confection that we bought in Norway was two pieces of dough sandwiched around a sweet cream filling. It was so tender, light, sweet and delicious!
                Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; March 25, 2011, 02:52 AM.

Comment

I AM Norwegian and LOVE lefse - but I have never made it! LOL
                  There are different types, thin and thick, dried etc.
                  My beloved maternal grandmother made the very best thick ones
                  that we enjoyed SO much...
                  They can be eaten with a cream made of butter and sugar,
                  ev scented with cinnamon. With brown cheese and the other childhood fave: syrup...
                  It is really more of a snack or in place of a cake/biscuit.

My DH buys the kind that really is for wrapping around a hot dog, butter it and drizzle sugar and cinnamon
                  over it before rolling it up.
                  I love the kind they sell on trains etc: a "sandwich"-like creation with creamy filling
                  of butterlike + sugar. Rebecca is a woman of great taste!

You can buy them online as my son did when he lived in Arkansas training on the C-130.

Some recipes HERE

Hugs from Eva Mari
                  Last edited by Emmari; March 25, 2011, 05:33 AM.
                  Fabric purchases require no justification!
                  A stash must be carefully and constantly built. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Comment

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
                    Thanks, Sandy. How did you know about Lefse?
                    Hanging my head . . . I just did a search for a recipe and looked through them until I found the 'perfect' one. Mom used to make something similar though with mashed potatoes. Also, I'm a good 'mixer-up' cook. Do you have a food processor? That would work to shred the potatoes . . . .

Comment

Thanks so much, Eva Mari. Nice of you to post this for me. I'm going to show it to Joe when he gets home from Haugesund tonight. Oop! He's coming in right now!!!!
                      Originally posted by Emmari View Post
                      I AM Norwegian and LOVE lefse - but I have never made it! LOL
                      There are different types, thin and thick, dried etc.
                      My beloved maternal grandmother made the very best thick ones
                      that we enjoyed SO much...
                      They can be eaten with a cream made of butter and sugar,
                      ev scented with cinnamon. With brown cheese and the other childhood fave: syrup...
                      It is really more of a snack or in place of a cake/biscuit.

My DH buys the kind that really is for wrapping around a hot dog, butter it and drizzle sugar and cinnamon
                      over it before rolling it up.
                      I love the kind they sell on trains etc: a "sandwich"-like creation with creamy filling
                      of butterlike + sugar. Rebecca is a woman of great taste!

You can buy them online as my son did when he lived in Arkansas training on the C-130.

Some recipes HERE

Hugs from Eva Mari

Comment

The lefsa recipe you are looking for, does not have potatoes in it. It's not common in the USA, but you can find some cooks in Wis. a a couple in MN that make this variety of hard lefsa (Tykklefsa) it's more cookie-like in texture. My grandma called it Hardanger lefsa, but as in all traditional cooking, families have tweeked the recipe to their own liking! My family loved dunking theirs in very cream filled coffee, so it's a drier, firmer texture, but of course filled with butter, sugar and cinnamon. (Grandma's cooking secret that she passed on to me was, "if you put enough butter and cream in it, it will taste good, Yeah?".... try to read that in a scandinavian accent and you've got it!!) ....the recipe for our family's Handanger Lefsa is very complicated and involves 5Lbs of flour!!! I am in the process of trying to simplify and shrink down the quantities, and herein I am doing exactly what I've accused the past generations of doing! I'm tweeking this to fit our family and our lifestyle! ...but I am keeping the old recipe on file for some future great-grand-daughter who wonders what in the world this hard lefsa is and where it came from??!

Comment

Ms. Norway, Send some my way when it's done! I've got homemade bread baking in the oven right now. It smells divine!!! Soup and bread for dinner and some Lefsa for dessert would be wonderful!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X