• Show
Clear All

French Toast Casserole Recipe

8 eggs
    3 cups milk
    1 Tblsp vanilla
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup sugar
    1 almost stale loaf of Challah bread (jewish braided egg bread) cut into slices
    cinnamon sugar mix
    1 stick butter

Beat together first 5 ingredients. Arrange sliced Challah in a lasagna pan or large casserole dish (I use the disposable tin lasagna pans you get at the grocery store). Pour egg/milk mixture over bread making sure that all layers are wet well. Cut butter into tabs and arrange on the top of the bread. Pour sugar/cinnamon mix over top to make a "crust", but remember that this won't be absorbed so you don't want to over do it. Cover and place in refrigerator overnight. When ready to bake, place in a preheated oven at 350 and bake for 45-60 depending on how dry you like your casseroles. Serve with syrup if you like.
    Michele

Re: French Toast Casserole Recipe

I wish I had bread in the house to make this. I haven't had breakfast yet and my stomach is growling!!

Thanks for sharing.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

This sounds wonderful. I am going to have to make it for my family.

Thanks
      Lydia Lee

I am blessed, and pray that you are to.

Comment

THANKS MICHELE!
        sigpic
        Old quilters never die, they just go batty!

Your Canadian quilting sister, Shauna

Comment

Sounds yummy!
          Here's another one I make for church breakfasts:

Breakfast casserole

Ingredients: either sausage, ham, or bacon (cooked and cut up)
          6 pieces of bread
          1/2 tsp of salt (I don't add salt to anything)
          6 eggs
          2 cups of milk
          1/2 tsp. dry mustard (I don't add that either)

Mix all ingredients except the bread and meat. Put the bread in rectangular casserole, add the mix, layer the meat on top. Cover with foil and put in fridge overnight . In the morning, put in a 325 over for an hour. Keep covered. Then bake another 15 min. more uncovered.

Hugs,
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
          http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
          http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

OH YUM!! I love french toast! I don't eat it often cause of calories but this sounds great.
            You could use splenda instead of sugar and I bet it would still taste yummy.
            Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Trish you must have wrote while I was. Yours sounds good too! Thanks, Jan L
              Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Michele, that sounds very much like what we call bread and butter pudding, we do it with more than one layer of bread and usually add a sprinkle of sultanas (or similar) between the layers and on top, it's really yummy. We mostly use normal sliced bread so it isn't very thick, probably why we layer it...and I never add salt.
                Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

OMGoodness, I have died and arrived at heaven's gate reading this! I adore French Toast and have never made this particular way. I may have to do this on Sunday morning for Mom and Luscious. With some maple flavored sausage links, ooooh yummy sugar rush.

Lynn, by sultana's are you referring to raisins? When I lived in California years ago I used to purchase some white/gold looking raisins. that I think were called sultanas. Tasted a wee bit different than our regular raisin; actually a bit tastier - sort of like fig newtons. I will be surprised if I can find any around here.

Trish, love that recipe. It is a Christmas morning tradition and also on special occasions when I have to feed a lot folks like pigs in a trough. Easy peasy and very delicious.
                  Sewing mends the soul.
                  sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                  Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                  ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                    Michele, that sounds very much like what we call bread and butter pudding, we do it with more than one layer of bread and usually add a sprinkle of sultanas (or similar) between the layers and on top, it's really yummy. We mostly use normal sliced bread so it isn't very thick, probably why we layer it...and I never add salt.

Oh you have to layer it..and it ends up puffing up even more in the oven...and with the eggs when it cooks it kinda congeals and ends up looking like a whole pan of bread all stuck together when it's done....mmmmmm....
                    Michele

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie View Post
                      OMGoodness, I have died and arrived at heaven's gate reading this! I adore French Toast and have never made this particular way. I may have to do this on Sunday morning for Mom and Luscious. With some maple flavored sausage links, ooooh yummy sugar rush.
                      just remember to put it all together the night before and let it "soak" until the morning when you bake it....it's great for sunday breakfast or holiday mornings when you don't want to be stuck in the kitchen but want something really indulgent to eat!!
                      Michele

Comment

Mm-mm Yes Michele Definitely the same thing from that description, YUM, that and sticky date pudding are my two favourites for deserts on cold nights...or anytime really.

Blondie, what you describe sounds like sultanas, they are way smaller than raisins and usually a golden colour but do darken as they get more 'mature', they also get more sugery. They are made by semi drying white table (eating) grapes so have no seeds (pips). We use them in all sorts of desert type dishes or even salads and they are great for a quick pick me up snack straight out of the packet. They do them in small lunch box size packets for kids lunches, a pocket size healthy snack.
                        I guess you could put chopped raisin or other dried fruit if you wanted to dress it up/make it sweeter for a desert or as Michele describes for a plainer version for breakfast. I love playing with recipes, they never quite end up the way they were in the book in my house.
                        Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

How many servings does this make? I'm 'doing' WW and would like to figure out the points. I think the butter, more than the sugar, would add to the calorie count. Sounds a recipe you could vary a bit.

Comment

You can vary the recipe if needed...I add less sugar and less eggs as I don't like it too sweet and I hate soggy french toast. I do not know what a serving size is...but it fed my entire faculty of 12 and my kids for dinner that night...so 14 servings out of a lasagna pan?? Sorry I can't be more help.
                            Michele

Comment

Working...
                            X