Pêtes de soeurs (Nun's pastry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pêtes de soeurs (Nun's pastry)

This is another simple recipe that is very traditional with French-Canadian families -- not just at Christmas but all year long.

From leftover pie dough, or new batch, roll out dough on floured surface. Spread softened butter, generously spread light brown sugar over top, add dash of cinnamon (optional) and roll tightly into a log. Cut in 1/2" widths, and put on baking sheet or pie plate. Bake 375-400 for 10-12 minutes. Watch to make sure it doesn't burn.

Let cool and enjoy.

PeteDeSoeurs.jpg

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

My grandmother always did that with the leftover pie crust when she baked. I never knew it had a name. She made it exactly that way but instead of cinnamon she'd sprinkle it with almond extract. Thanks for the memory!!
    Michele
    ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~

Comment

• bubba
      bubba
      bubba commented
      Editing a comment
      My mom sprinkled it with cinnamon sugar and baked the leftover crust in the over. Love that stuff!

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      SuzanneOrleansOntario
      SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
      Editing a comment
      Usually use left-over pie crust, but this time I had 2 pie crusts left over from the frozen 6 pack bundle. Easier to make when you can roll into a rectangle. I have added cinnamon or cardamom in the past.

Oh, those look so yummy!

Comment

I make these all the time and we love them. I have never baked ours in a circle touching, rather I separate them on the cookie sheet. I’m sure yours are just as yummy as ours…they sure are prettier!
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        SuzanneOrleansOntario
        SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
        Editing a comment
        I actually shaped one like a big tree and the other like a small tree. Since I had on a large pizza pan, they just spread out to fill the space.

These look just like cinnamon rolls! I would need a good smear of gooey icing on top tho!! No such thing as too much sugar. Glad you gave us the name Nun's Bars cause I could never pronounce the actual name!

Comment

Originally posted by chelea View Post
        My grandmother always did that with the leftover pie crust when she baked. I never knew it had a name. She made it exactly that way but instead of cinnamon she'd sprinkle it with almond extract. Thanks for the memory!!
        Good to know there is a name for these yummies. Always enjoyed them from the leftover pie crust.
        “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
        “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

I roll out the left over pie crust into a sheet...butter it...sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar and bake at 375 for about 15 min. or until the sugar is melted and the pie crust is done and then immediately cut into squares. They disappear before they are cold.
          success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
          Terry of NC

Comment

My mom always gave is kids the pie dough trimming. We rolled it out and added butter and cinnamon- sugar. She baked it as our own little pie
          “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

OH yummy! I bet I still have great recipes from High School in my old recipe containers. I used to love Baking!

Comment

Working...
          X