Apple Nut Cake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple Nut Cake

If you like apples there is a recipe in Block Vol 1 issue 2 Apple Nut Cake. I made it today (ok yesterday seeing it is now 2:15 am) and it is so good. Made 2 one with out nuts, I added more raisins (golden and regular). Give it a try. It is now my go to for everything.

Thanks for testing it out. I will give this one a try.
    Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

I will look it up, in the block .

Comment

I don't get the Block magazine. Could you post the recipe here? It sounds great!
        Texas

Comment

Originally posted by osewme View Post
          I don't get the Block magazine. Could you post the recipe here? It sounds great!
          Unable to cut and paste it from the download version of Block. Though I wish I could, there are some bonus patterns only the download version has that I would love to cut and paste so I could go to Staples and print it and not the whole issue.

Comment

• osewme
            osewme commented
            Editing a comment
            Wait! I did get the first year's subscription of the Block magazine when it first came out. I didn't realize that recipe came from the very 2nd magazine. I saved my year's subscription & I have that one. I'll type the recipe for anyone who might like to have it. Thanks!

• ktdid
            ktdid commented
            Editing a comment
            Just a hint, you could have just done a screen shot, then paste and trim it up.

Apple Nut Cake
          1 1/2 cups salad oil
          2 cups sugar
          2 eggs, beaten
          3 cups flour
          1 tsp. salt
          1 tsp. baking soda
          1/4 tsp. cinnamon
          3 cups apples - peeled & diced
          1/2 cup chopped nuts
          1/2 cup raisins
          Mix oil, sugar & eggs. Sift dry ingredients & stir into oil mixture (will be dry).
          Pour into greased 13 1/2" x 18 1/2" cake pan. Bake at 375 deg. for 40 min.
          or until cake pulls loose around edges.
          Serve warm or cold. A good recipe to cut into bars & freeze for lunches.
          Texas

Comment

• Little Hobbit
            Little Hobbit commented
            Editing a comment
            I made it again and used apple sauce in place of the oil and it came out yummy.

• osewme
            osewme commented
            Editing a comment
            LittleHobbit: What a fantastic idea. Did you use the sweetened or unsweetened apple sauce & did you use the exact same amount to replace the oil...1 1/2 cups? I need to start making notes on my recipe so I don't forget things like this. Thanks!

• Little Hobbit
            Little Hobbit commented
            Editing a comment
            Unsweetened and same measurements

OMG, I just made this cake and it is absolutely wonderful. I left the raisins out because DH won't eat them, but it did not take away at all on the taste. We ate it 5 minutes out of the oven, but maybe could have left it a little longer to cool. It's almost like apple pie with the crust built in. Absolutely will make this again. Thanks for the recipe.
          No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
          Aesop

Comment

• osewme
            osewme commented
            Editing a comment
            So glad to hear that you made it & love it. I will try it soon. Did you put frosting of any sort on it? I bet it would be good with a cream cheese frosting or a powdered sugar/milk/vanilla drizzle on it. How many apples did it take to make 3 cups? Thanks for the good review!
            Last edited by osewme; September 20, 2021, 04:25 PM.

• Granny Fran
            Granny Fran commented
            Editing a comment
            I used 5 small apples and it came to about 3.5 cups but I think 4 would do it. I think a powdered sugar drizzle would be best as this cake doesn't have a solid surface to frost. Could be the extra apples. LOL. We also ate it again cooled and it was just as good.

That sounds awesome! I love apple desserts. I will have to make this soon!

Comment

I bet this would be totally awesome with vanilla ice cream on top! 😋
            Texas

Comment

• Granny Fran
              Granny Fran commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, it did!!

I loved the note about the apple nut cake. My mother-in-law always made a nut bread that was very good. She'd always say - "have a piece of nut bread. I made it without nuts." My husband always thought it funny and teased her about it.

Comment

Hubby is making roast chicken dinner tonight for Thanksgiving. He loves pie but not crust. We still have apples on our tree and I just bought vanilla ice cream. I will make this today! I will see my parents tomorrow and will take some for them too. Thank you!!
              Hike ~ BC, Canada

Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

I’ve just put one in the oven. I’ll let you know how it comes out.

Comment

• osewme
                  osewme commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hope y'all loved it as much as everyone else who has made it!

• osewme
                  osewme commented
                  Editing a comment

• osewme
                  osewme commented
                  Editing a comment

My computer locked up & I wound up posting my above comment 3 times. So sorry!🙄
                Texas

Comment

It was very tasty! I would make it again but substitute some oil for applesauce and maybe cut back in the sugar a bit. It was a bit greasy.
                  Hike ~ BC, Canada

Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• osewme
                    osewme commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Little Hobbit made this with unsweetened applesauce in place of the oil & said it turned out really yummy. You might try that next time.
                Working...
                X