Smoked Cheddar Soup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Cheddar Soup

Made my homemade Smoked Cheddar Soup for supper tonight. I forgot how good it is. I got the recipe from The Joy of Cooking. When Mom was going through chemo she lost much of her taste for food. I offered to make her this dish, and it was one of the few things she would eat. The recipe is simple.

1 onion
    3 large carrots
    2 stalks of celery
    6 tablespoons of butter
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    4 cups chicken broth
    1 cup heavy cream or half and half (I use skim milk, which doesn't affect the taste at all)
    8 ounces shredded cheddar (I use half sharp cheddar and half smoked cheddar. Full on smoked cheddar is just too strong. I also shred it myself).
    Salt and pepper to taste.

Chop the first three ingredients. Melt the butter in a heavy soup pot. Add the chopped onion, carrots and celery and cook until soft, but not brown, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add flour and cook until flour is mixed in completely. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Turn it down to simmer and let cook for 40 to 45 minutes, until thick. Put contest into a blender and puree, making sure to take the plastic center piece out of the blender lid to allow steam to escape. Return to the soup pot and add the heavy cream or half and half to the mix as well as the cheese until melted and the soup is heated through. Do not let the soup boil, or the cheese will separate. Serve with bacon bits or croutons or crackers.

Rob

IMG_20210713_182504190.jpg
    So rather than practice makes perfect, I encourage you to think practice makes better.
    Quilts and More Magazine Summer 2021

Thanks for posting this. I'm on the lookout for soups my FIL might enjoy. This will hit the spot.
    Diana Grey

Comment

I will give this a try…it sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Sounds yummy…..especially with bacon. Everything is better with bacon 🥓 Thank you for posting!
        💫 Anita......Star lover❣️

Comment

Thanks for posting this recipe sounds delish!
          If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

When I delivered to Menominee WI, at the truck stop they had Wisconsin Potato cheese soup. Oh, man was that soooo good! Theirs was with Wisconsin sharp cheddar cheese, and potatoes, pureed and a dollop of sour cream on top. I've made it and it's still good!
            Kathryn
            There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• Little Hobbit
              Little Hobbit commented
              Editing a comment
              Could you share the recipe, that sounds delish.

Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Yum! I love anything with cheese in it & the bacon probably takes it over the top. Thanks for this recipe.

Comment

I have that cookbook. I looks delicious, but I would only make this on occasion as it is loaded with fats in butter, cream and cheese. Not that I can't eat these, but I know that if I ate a diet of that I would quickly gain weight.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Sounds delish, thanks for posting.

Comment

Oh yum! Yes, very rich but so good as a treat now and then. Joy of Cooking has been my go-to for my entire 41 years of married life. It's a classic.
                    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

I also have the original "Joy", it taught me to cook! But I have never made the cheese soup so thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Comment

Thanks for sharing this. I think my family would enjoy it.

Comment

Working...
                        X