Best hard boiled eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best hard boiled eggs

Hello! With Easter weekend coming up we are all going to be making HB eggs I am sure! Awhile ago I saw a post on Facebook about HB egg methods and the winning method was to steam eggs so I tried it. The eggs are so much easier to peel! Sometimes tge entire shell comes off in one big piece. You need to try it! Bring about 4-6 cups of water to a boil. Then use a colander or steamer basket whatever you have that will allow you to put a lid on your pot over the basket. Once the water boils put your eggs in the basket and cover it. You want to keep your water at a hard full steam the whole time. Set timer for 12 minutes, remove eggs to bowl of cold water, you don't even need ice. I am never going back to the old way putting the eggs in boiling water. Happy Easter!

I make mine in the instant pot and they turn out great! A friend puts hers in a cupcake tin @ 350 for 30 mins and she said they also turn out great.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I worked at a military cafeteria I boil and rince in cold water and shell comes right off. I like my egg whites warm. Thanks for the tip!!

Comment

I use an egg cooker which steams the eggs. Mine is a Cuisinart, but there are certainly many brands out there on the market.
        “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
        “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

I’ve noticed that Eggland’s Best brand of eggs are very hard to peel without tearing up the eggs. I will try steaming them next time. Thanks for the tip, Jocelyn.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Mary Lynn
            Mary Lynn commented
            Editing a comment
            The fresher the egg, the harder they are to peel. Learned that when my grandchildren had hens one year. Eggs were so fresh I could never get them peeled.

Even when I use old EB eggs they won’t peel without tearing up. Generic eggs do just fine. I make a point to buy generic eggs for deviled eggs and dyed Easter eggs.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• bubba
            bubba commented
            Editing a comment
            Put salt in the water and that helps.

I will try the steamed eggs. My method has been to start them in cold water, set the timer for 25 minutes, boil and then rinse and peel
          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
          Terry

Comment

I have been steaming my eggs for years now and very rarely do I have a problem peeling. I have a bunch steaming at the moment-I am the designated deviled egg maker for the family Easter dinner.
            One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

This is something I will have to try. When I do hard boiled eggs I usually try to peel them while they are still a little warm, it seems to make it a little easier to peel them. I always break it open where there is that little "air pocket" and then try to get under the membrane with my thumbnail. If I can do that the peel always comes off nicely.
              Carlie

Comment

• nativetexan
                nativetexan commented
                Editing a comment
                I too started peeling them while still hot. works much better.

Ina Garten (the Barefoot Contessa) has a good way to boil eggs, especially if you're using them for deviled eggs (which I absolutely abhor). I'll have to give your method a try.

Rob
              If you like a fabric, buy a yard. If you LOVE a fabric, buy three!
              Anna Bates
              "Quilt Roadies"

Comment

• nativetexan
                nativetexan commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh my hubby made great ones!

• bubba
                bubba commented
                Editing a comment
                I can't stand deviled eggs or egg salad sandwiches either. I think it has a lot to do with the stink.

• MSN
                MSN commented
                Editing a comment
                I used to hate HB eggs because my mother's idea of how to serve them was to crack them open while hot, scoop out the cooked egg, then mash it up with Miracle Whip. We had to eat these for breakfast at least twice a week. It was like hot egg salad, and it's making me gag just thinking about them.

I keep HB eggs in the frig. all the time for snacks & salads. I cook them the old way -- start in cold water, start timing when they come to a boil. Due to our higher altitude, I cook them for 27 min. I do 9 at a time. I also add salt to the water to help prevent cracking while cooking. When done, I rinse, add cold water, then a couple freezer packs to chill them quickly. I use the XL Eggland's Best vegetarian fed eggs. I don't worry about peeling; we cut them in half with a paring knife; with the dull side of the knife we scoop it out. There is truth to the fact that the fresher the eggs, the harder they are to peel.

Comment

I had always boiled eggs until yesterday and tried steaming them for the first time. They worked out perfectly, easy peel and no green halo around the yolk. Be sure your eggs are room temp when you put them in the steamer basket, run cold water over to cool then shake the covered saucepan to break shells, be sure to remove the steamer basket first. I only did 2 eggs but will do this method again tomorrow with 9.

Comment

We were recently at Costco, and MM found hardboiled eggs already peeled! They come two to a pack and he is in seventh heaven!
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Bubby
                    Bubby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow! What a treat!!

Just boiled two eggs as described above, eggs are done perfectly. But did not peel well!!! Half a success!!!

Comment

Bought an Instant Pot and did their 5 5 5 method. Put 2 wire tiers in the instant pot, put 14 Egglands large eggs in, added 1 3/4 cup water and 1/4 cup white vinegar. Set the pressure cooker on high for 5 minutes, then set for 5 minutes, release steam, then put eggs in ice water for 5 minutes. They peeled real nice. And the white vinegar made my pot real shiny.
                    Vonnie

Comment

Working...
                    X