Your Best Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Best Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipe

I love tuna noodle casserole, but haven't made it home made in years. Would love to have a great recipe for one. Show me what ya got.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
    sigpic

Sorry, that’s something we don’t eat.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I'd be interested in that, too. I have tried some recipes but not something I would make again. Both Dave and I like tuna. It would give me something different to make once in a while.
      Carlie

Comment

I made one quite awhile ago, and used a recipe off of WWW.allreicpe. com , I don't remember which tuna casserole recipe it was. I use that site a lot and usually read the reviews , I think that helps to see what other people say about it. I was like you hadn't had in years but sounded good to me. My kids are all married , and gone from home, some wouldn't take any of it because they said we had it too much when they were kids:-(
        ​​​

Comment

Not a fan of hot tuna. Love tuna salad, but not the casseroles
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

• Bubby
            Bubby commented
            Editing a comment
            We don’t like hot tuna either.

Wish I could help you, but even though my mother was one of the world's best cooks, I couldn't stand her Tuna Casserole, even when she put canned biscuits on the top. Now, I love it with chicken in it, but not tuna. Of course, given how Campbell's Cream Soups are nothing but congealed salt, I can't make it any longer unless I make my own creamed soup.

Rob
          There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
          --Ken Burns

Comment

• auntstuff
            auntstuff commented
            Editing a comment
            Try it with a light cheese sauce instead

We don’t have it often, maybe twice before, but this recipe is pretty good. It uses no canned cream soups. It’s all made from scratch but very easy.

https://pin.it/5VkWKdg

Comment

• Hulamoon
            Hulamoon commented
            Editing a comment
            I read the recipe and I' printing it out. Thanks!

Morning Marilyn, I just use a basic Béchamel (white sauce) (6 cups) adding at least 2 cans water packed tuna, don't drain tuna for a stronger flavor.
          Then I add a package of frozen Birds Eye frozen vegetables (the kind that is in the steamer bags). Cook sauce until it comes almost to a boil, Cook noodles, slightly underdone, pour sauce over cooked noodles in casserole dish, make sure there's ample sauce for noodles to absorb sauce. Put in oven for about 30 minutes @ 350* (Use your favorite type of noodles) This is just a down & dirty version, some have sour cream added.
          Kathryn
          There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• auntiemern
            auntiemern commented
            Editing a comment
            This is very similar to what I remember. The one I made did not call for canned soup.

Mine is similar to katydid’s...

6 oz. pasta (penne, fusilli, your favorite)
          3 tablespoons butter
          3 tablespoons flour
          1/2 tsp salt
          1 can tuna (5oz, drain, liquid reserved)
          1 can (3 oz, drain, liquid reserved)
          milk
          1/4 cup corn, optional
          1/4 cup peas, optional
          Tabasco sauce to taste
          1/2 cup shredded cheese, your favorite

Oven 350’. Coat a 2-quart casserole dish with non-stick spray (I just use oil)
          Place cooked and drained pasta in prepared dish. Set aside.
          in a saucepan melt butter, blend in flour and salt.
          Combine reserved liquids from tuna & mushrooms (I omit the mushrooms - just cause), add enough milk to make 2 cups. Pour into flour mixture, cook over med heat, stir constantly, until mixture thickens. Stir in tuna and mushrooms. Add corn (I omit - DH can’t eat corn), peas (I increase the peas to 1/2 cup. Use whatever veggies you want to equal 1/2 cup) and the Tabasco, if using.
          Pour over pasta, stir. Top with cheese.
          Bake for about 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and hot.

DH found this recipe....I didn’t like tuna noodle casserole, until I made my own béchamel sauce.
          💫 Anita......Star lover❣️

Comment

• auntiemern
            auntiemern commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds great. May give this a try....without corn as well. Thank you.

boy i used to eat this around high school time. we had crushed potato chips on top if I recall.

Comment

Mine is quick and easy and uses all the "bad" stuff...no recipe, just mixed together. Believe it or not, this was one of my brother's favorite meals when we were growing up!

Cooked noodles - whatever I have
            1 large can tuna, drained
            1 can cream of mushroom soup (cream of chicken or celery works too)
            1 soup can milk
            frozen peas if desired - amount to your liking

Mix together and put in greased casserole dish. Sometimes I add a handful of shredded cheese or some chopped onion. Top with crushed potato chips. Bake at 350 degrees until hot, about a half-hour.

Comment

I have never had tuna casserole. I have had tuna salad and tuna croquettes.

Comment

Had that growing up so many times, That was 1 recipe I did not take when my mom passed
                Last edited by Little Hobbit; January 8, 2021, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Mine comes from busy mom growing up (she was and EMT) so if you need a quick but tasty one, mac and cheese made per box directions, can of tuna, tbsp of mayo and some frozen peas. Peas will heat in the heat of the mac and cheese, if worried itll cool too much because its winter in a drafty house, drop into pan into the oven at 325 for about 15 min with additional toppings of bread crumbs or cheese or potato chips.

I've never had any other tuna casserole, so to me its the best... but can say it makes the boxed mac and cheese taste better 😁

Comment

• auntstuff
                    auntstuff commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Did not think anything could make that box stuff taste better!

Yeah it is pretty icky stuff. But cheap and quick. Although I have found replacing the milk in the box directions with a dollop of sour cream works pretty well. And of course garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, some pepper, maybe a bit of thyme, or really any and all spices that help hide the artificial taste of the cheese lol. But then I'm the sort who empties the spice cabinet into pretty much all pre-made food. Even microwave cup of noodles aren't safe from the spice cabinet.

Came from a poorer household, lots of Ramen noodle package dinners, and was poor as a church mouse when living on my own, if any one ever wants some really really creative recipes for a $0.33pack of Ramen noodles hit me up lol. I even have recipes for leftovers of those cuz waste not want not.

Comment

• auntstuff
                    auntstuff commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I grew up poor too, single parent. We learned early on the value of a vegetable garden. In pots when necessary. Yes, you CAN grow carrots in a 5 gallon bucket.

• Namastarz
                    Namastarz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes yes, always a garden 😁. And though financially I've come quite a way ahead from my start, gardens are a must. No amount of money can make up for the taste of peas picked right off the vine and into the mouth. Or sweet potatoes pulled from the dirt that morning and roasted fresh so sweet and fluffy. Even a farmers market can't compare in freshness to having your own garden. Hoping the weather won't be soooo crazy this year, last year my garden was horribly drowned even lost 2 of my rose bushes the last 4 are hanging on for dear life. And most of my glads rotten away, along with a lot of my lilies. If it hadn't been just such a crazy year all the way around I would have thought to dig up my bulbs and toss them in the freezer but nope too much going on 😔. And the very few veggies that did try their earnest to survive this year were slaughter by a terrible windstorm.
                Working...
                X