eating healthy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eating healthy

As I do every New Year's Day (I'm sure many of you can relate) I think about lifestyle changes that would improve my health overall...you know, eat a healthier diet, drink more water, exercise, get enough sleep. I really need to work on all of that and take better care of myself.

This year I'm going to try to incorporate more whole grains, nuts, seeds, beans and consume less meat and dairy. I love to try new recipes. I love vegetables and will try just about anything. And it's not just for me; hubs is a diabetic and will benefit as well.
    Do you have any favorite recipes, cookbooks or website/blogs that you follow that lean more towards plant-based recipes?

Here's an interesting article from the New York Times about looking back on the positive changes we made in 2020 due to the pandemic and building on some of them (hope you can open it):

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/01/w...gtype=Homepage
    Last edited by chelea; January 1, 2021, 12:49 PM.
    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

I always try to eat healthy foods, but am not a martyr about keeping some junk food in the house. I am pretty controlled as I don't usually crave these. DH on the other hand, tends to go overboard. He's the one with weight struggle, so I try to limit what comes in the house. He does eat a lot of nuts, which are good, again in moderation I like these.

I have been cutting back on red meats as I noticed that DH doesn't feel right when he eats them. I have introduced more fish and chicken than usual. He enjoys spicy food, which I don't, but he always gets heartburn, as he adds hot sauce. I don't buy it, but he does. I have to say I eat twice the meal portions that he does, but I am more active. He likes to sit and read, and a lot more passive hobbies. I managed to lose 7 lbs this year, probably just by doing my own housework.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Congratulations Suzanne!

• TMP
      TMP commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats!

My daughter went on the keto diet. She lost about 30 pounds this past year but she also was taken off steroids . I think it was mainly due to the drug change and just partially due to the Keto diet

I have an 80/20% rule for healthy eating for myself. My hubby isnlike yours, Suzanne, lol. I cook with both of us in mind...healthy, but he can put on butter, spices and sauces. My GERD can't handle thag stuff. I do allow myself some treats, but some foods I have to completely avoid. I have never esten much mest and love grains and veggies. I could easily be a vegan but do enjoy some meat, mostly chicken and fish and seafood.
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• nativetexan
      nativetexan commented
      Editing a comment
      ha, ha. you sound just like me. here i cook for myself. eat very little. my son loves "hot" sauce on everything!

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
      Editing a comment
      I love veggies and legumes, but I need to eat in moderation, as the off-gas is not pleasant. I love my butter and bacon, so I could not go vegan 100%. I do cook meatless meal once/twice a week.

I struggle with making meals as Dave doesn’t care for very many kinds of vegetables. I like most, the only one I have found that I dislike is artichoke. Anyway, I always make our meals with that in mind but try and add extra veggies for me in a separate bowl. I have been trying to cook more healthy and we don’t go out for fast food much, maybe once a month. With our new indoor grill and the air fryer that should help. I am very overweight, to the turn of at least 120 pounds, partially due to the last years of my job and sitting for close to 12 hours a day. Thankfully I’m slowly loosing now but with my knee issues it makes it difficult. Since I retired in April of 2019 I have lost 25 pounds so now I need to build on that. I have an elliptical machine but with my knee issues it is hard to use for longer periods of time, so I’m starting out slow and hope to build my time up. My plan is to start walking outside when weather permits. I’ll need to start out slow but that’s okay. We have an alley out back where I will start walking and go from there. I’m hoping that by spring that I will be able to talk long walks along the river.
    Carlie

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      Editing a comment
      Good for you on your weight loss. I also gained about 25 lbs in last few years before I retired. Mostly from a foot injury so I wasn't able to walk as much. Since I retired in 2013, I have lost 25 lbs also, which is the most I ever weighed. I never gained that much weight with each pregnancy. I have to say that the weight loss helped with my knees and feet, although these still bother me, but not to the point I don't walk or stand. Keep it up. It's a slow process but it is doable.

• TMP
      TMP commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome Carlie !
      My problem with cooking heathy is cooking for just myself , fresh vegetables are a lot of trouble and a lot of waste for one person. I have had take out just a few times this past year. A couple of times chick fil a and Chinese a couple of times. I will have to say when I eat more fresh vegetables and fruit I do feel better.

• Momofmonsters5
      Momofmonsters5 commented
      Editing a comment
      TMP you should try meal prep or look at delish.com. It's great for smaller portions. I eat healthy where my live in bf does not...he can eat whatever and not gain. if he eats rice I spiral my own zucchini noodles and steam them. Egg cups are great too in silicon baking cups. The only veggie he eats is broccoli, I get mine and just modify what I'm cooking. You should look it really is eye opening what meals you can make for one person.

Jjkaiser, especially at my age.
    Carlie

Comment

I used to live in the Pac. N.W., in Palouse country, where peas & lentils are grown. They are high in protein & make a good vegetarian alternative to meat. However, they tend towards higher carbs. They might be an item to include in your healthy eating alternative food choices.

I seldom eat red meat, for many years now. I feel more sluggish when I do. Also, red meat causes more joint inflammation for those of us who deal with arthritis. I do eat quite a lot of cheese; it would be difficult for me to give up dairy.

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
        CarlieBlilie commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't know there is a connection between arthritis and red meat. Dave won't be happy about that one. He has arthritis in his knees and hands. I'm going to keep a watch on him to see if I notice a change in his complaints when we have had red meat. Thanks for that info. Living in the Pac NW you must have very fresh salmon. I love salmon but Dave will not eat it. A lot of times when he wants steak I will get some salmon for myself. Love it grilled.

• chelea
        chelea commented
        Editing a comment
        Lentils are already part of our diet as hubs is of Lebanese descent and lentils are popular in that cuisine.

I lost a lot of weight this year altho it was not intended. I despise taking any medicine bc of side effects. Had lab work that showed high cholesterol and underactive thyroid. I grumpily conceded to take thryoid med but said no to statin. I was gonna fix it myself! Well I did manage to lower my chol 95 points, dr says still too high (ugh!), wants me to go on statins, I am pushing that off another month to squeeze in another round of labs hoping for lower numbers.

I went to a nutritionist at drs office and she gave me a handout I keep on my fridge. I was SHOCKED at the rec portion sizes! Evidently I have been overeating for years!! A portion of pasta is 1/3 cup, rice 1/2 cup. Most fruits 1/2 piece. Most veg servings 1/2 cup, potatoes 1/3 cup. I try to stick to that and I made a rule never have second helpings. No dessert.

In the old days I often had a sandwich for lunch (2 pc bread) plus about 25 potato chips and sometimes had bread on the side with dinner, a few cookies after both lunch and dinner. I added that up just the bread, I was eating at least 15 pieces of bread a week! Now I don't eat more than one piece of bread a week and never have potato chips in the house. I have never liked breakfast so always skip it. We always have homemade cookies in the house (dh loves choc chip) but I have no problem not eating them. For lunch I now have a bowl of soup. Dinner is usually chicken and veg like broccoli. I don't like fish. I only drink about 2-3 sodas a year but I drink 8+ cups of coffee every day. I did not eat cookies for a whole year until this Xmas season. I have had about 10. If I snack between meals it is a handful of unsalted nuts (always from a dish never eat out of container!) Or else 3-4 fat pretzel rods. I never eat after dinner but do have a glass of wine. I do not exercise except the occasional walk so I could improve on that but I am kind of lazy. These are all changes that I can live with long term. You have to think about what works for you..

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        Editing a comment
        Portion size is the biggest problem for most people. I have to say that when we travel to US or eat at US franchise restaurants here, the portion are HUGE. It's enough to feed 2 people. That is not to say we don't have restaurants that load up on meal portions, but we just eat half and bring the rest home. I hate to exercise as well, but have a fast metabolism, but I do like to take an occasional walk at fast pace. If I go with DH, I have to slow down. He takes walks more than me, but its turtle speed, no doing much for cardio. I do like to snowshoe, but dont get to do as much as I like. Maybe this year, since I got the GKs some snowshoes. Good luck. Keep it up.

Carlie ~ I can't send any PMs right now until I figure out how to delete many old msgs. I do not live in the Pac. NW. We have lived in Colorado for 42 yrs. I used to live in Palouse country where peas & lentils are grown in ID. We ate very little salmon back then. We switched away from red meat after our kids left home. Now DH eats salmon every day for lunch. It comes in fresh to our groc. store on M-W-F. Every 6 wks. or so I buy 3 large filets & cut them up into 1 serving sized pieces for him & freeze them. I rarely eat salmon. Don't particularly care for it. I usually have fish only when I eat out. When I was married to DH#1, we lived on the OR coast. We used to go clam digging. I love fried clams.

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
        Momofmonsters5 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm with you, not a salmon fan either!

I have been meaning to post to you. I follow a mom and daughter team on their blog and Instagram. They are vegans, but they have plenty of recipes you could adapt if you wanted to add any animal products like milk, cheese, eggs, ect. Beautiful website too.

Vegan & Planet-Based Recipes | Vegan Comfort Food That Everyone Will Love | Veganosity

🌺 Lorie

Comment

• jjkaiser
        jjkaiser commented
        Editing a comment
        I looked at that and huh. I am such a picky eater. You would never invite me to dinner! I would never eat meatloaf made with...chickpeas. Or most of the other recipes. I mean, I like veggies but just steamed plain and not disguised as meat substitutes. I just like regular food. Meat loaf made with hamburger. Pot pie made with chicken, etc.

• Hulamoon
        Hulamoon commented
        Editing a comment
        Some people don't want to eat🐮🐷🐑🦃🐰🐸🐔😜

• chelea
        chelea commented
        Editing a comment
        This: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/29/s...sultPosition=1

The problem I find- We eat healthy meals made from scratch. We never eat already prepared frozen meals.
      Therefore we basically eat the same meals over and over. When I search for new recipes- they are full of carbs and include cups of cheese.
      We have removed carbs and sugar from our diet as well as salt.
      One of the problems I find is men won’t eat 1 serving. Or eat a Large serving saying they are only eating 1 serving. Americans diets have caused us to be overweight and caused many health problems.
      Many health problems can be avoided by eating healthier. therefore avoiding toxic medication.
      I would love to see healthy recipes
      if anyone has them.

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
        Momofmonsters5 commented
        Editing a comment
        There's alot to reduce carbs. I find veggie noodles are a good cab substitute. I can't do sugar or most pastas. I eat spaghetti squash for spagetti, zucchini noodles for rice, pound out bonless skinless chicken thighs and stuff them with veggies and bake, stuffed green peppers..I do brown them first so they bake soft, tuna stuffed tomatoes, egg cups are great..you can put anything in them. There's lots of possibilities and

Everyone needs a certain amount of daily carbs. Its what provides your energy.
      TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

We have cut carbs from our diet because carbs break down to sugar.
        My husband and I are 68, we do NOT have diabetes but both of us have a family history of diabetes.
        Also, generally speaking if you are over weight there’s a possibility you eat too many carbs. The first thing a doctor will tell you- if you are overweight, which we are not
        cut back on carbs as well as sugar.
        Eapecially if there is a family history
        of diabetes. By eliminating carbs and sugar from our diet, as well as salt,
        we can continue to remain healthy.

Comment

I have lost 25 lbs. in 6 months following the low carb and trying to cut out sugars. I also walk 3 miles most mornings. I have thought about doing the carnivore diet but haven't quite taken the plunge yet. The low carb is working well and my numbers have really come down. I am pre-diabetic and am working hard to not become diabetic. It is amazing how much better I feel!! I just turned 67 a month ago.

Comment

I hate pre-packaged foods or anything veggies canned. When I was diagnoised with type 2 non insulin dependent, meaning I was taking pills I upped my diet change which I had started months before, Almost no sugar just in my coffee. In 1 year lost 60 pounds and was off my pills.

Comment

• jjkaiser
              jjkaiser commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow 60# lost! Congrats!!! That's like the equivalent of a half a person. I bet you were excited to go off your meds.

• auntstuff
              auntstuff commented
              Editing a comment
              My husband would still be alive today if I could have convinced him this worked. That man loved his garbage food more than life
          Working...
          X