Gingerbread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gingerbread

I think I’m going to attempt to make this recipe this year.... My last attempt at gingerbread men was 5 years ago and I was traumatized by the experience..lol.. I think the key to this recipe is using pre-mix instead of making own dough. This just looks yummy...

https://www.worldmarket.com/inspirat...ich-cookies.do

"You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Actually, the key is keeping the dough chilled while working with it. Just roll small amounts at a time.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

• KPH
      KPH commented
      Editing a comment
      You're so right! I'd break down the dough into quarters- then split that between both boys to roll. It worked out best that way. I also used powdered sugar instead of spreading flour to roll on.

• Teen
      Teen commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the tip... that’s how I do my grandmothers cut-out cookie recipe, too. Not sure went wrong 5 years ago...lol...

I've done gingerbread..so good if you need a great recipes I can take a pic out of my cookbook.

Comment

Gingerbread cookies are a family tradition at this house, I usually make and gift so many that now-children no longer here to help decorate-my hands get so cramped from doing all the decorating that they are not nearly as detailed. They make not look as wonderful but they still taste the same.
      One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

Funny story: In the late 90s, we moved to Australia just before Thanksgiving (which, of course, Aussies don't celebrate). With Christmas right around the corner, we decided to decorate our tree with edibles: popcorn strings, cranberries, and Gingerbread men. I pulled out my trusty Gingerbread recipe and went to the grocery store to buy what we needed.

Guess what isn't sold in Australia? Molasses! I looked and looked and looked, but molasses was nowhere to be found. There was something that looked right, called "treacle." In absolute desperation, I turned to another woman in the baking aisle and asked, "Do you know if treacle is the same thing as molasses?"

She answered, "Toni?"

Turned out that in this vast country where I knew no one, this woman's husband worked with my hubby, and we'd met at a work event. Of course, she didn't know what "treacle" was called in the US.

FYI: If you're ever in a British-speaking country and trying to cook, "molasses" is, in fact, the American name for Britain's "treacle"!
        Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Teen
          Teen commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh wow...small world that she knew you. Lol... funny story...

• Star lover
          Star lover commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the story.... rightened my day! 😃
          I guess we live in a small world after all.....

I LOVE World Market! I shopped there quite a bit when I was taking care of my auntie. I have a few things in my house from them. But now I'm bummed with them. Last year I wanted to order several things for Christmas and it turns out they won't ship to Hawaii. Well I sat down and wrote a long email to them on how could they consider themselves a World market if they only sell to the 48! "Sorry, we are working on that someday. 😞
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Teen
          Teen commented
          Editing a comment
          I love WM, too. Candles and pillows and baskets...oh my! Lol.. I haven’t been in one since the virus crap but I plan on sneaking in there before Christmas.. bummer they don’t ship to Hawaii...
      Working...
      X