Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a good recipe for bean soup without ham?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have a good recipe for bean soup without ham?

I've been craving some bean soup with the colder weather, but the problem is that I can't put any ham in it due to the sodium level. However, the htought of bean soup without ham just doesn't sound that appetizing, and frankly, a little bland. Does anyone have any recipes that might overcome that? Thanks in advance.

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Mom would make Bean Soup with turkey smoked sausage. Not sure that would help with the sodium content, though.
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
      Rob the HOAQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, turkey sausage wouldn't really be much better, but I do appreciate the thought.

Rob

Maybe try googling vegetarian bean soups, they are always searching for meat substitutes for the flavor . There was one online with spinach and parm. cheese instead of meat
    Last edited by minipinlady; October 27, 2020, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
      Rob the HOAQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Not really a big spinach fan, and so far my googling hasn't really brought anything that sounds appetizing, but I hadn't thought about Parmesan cheese. Thanks!

What kind of beans? I have one for black beans somewhere that uses refried beans as the thickener. More of a taco soup.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
      Rob the HOAQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm thinking more along the lines of Great Northern.

Rob

I use ham shanks, so there is not really that much ham in there. I pressure cook white navy beans and ham shanks in the pressure cooker with a handful of barley. When it's done, we pick the meat off the bones, add green onions, potatoes, celery, and finely diced carrots and cook till done. It turns out thick (which is how we like it) depending upon how much water you add. I like to put about a teaspoon of white vinegar in my bowl before eating. If ham shanks give too much meat, use ham hocks....they have a lot less, but you still get the taste from pressure cooking the bones.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
      Rob the HOAQ commented
      Editing a comment
      That's something to think about. Thanks!

Rob

• bubba
      bubba commented
      Editing a comment
      We went and got two ham shanks today! They come cut up in four pieces each, so I'll freeze one and use the other on Saturday, Halloween. I started doing that years ago and told my grandgirls it was frog eye and lizard lip soup. They reluctantly ate it and all three said it was their favorite soup ever!! On a side note, my dad, were he still alive, would turn 99 on Halloween!

• TMP
      TMP commented
      Editing a comment
      I am coming to your house for soup. Now I am craving that!

This is a Greek white bean soup that looks yummy.

https://www.realgreekrecipes.com/greek-white-bean-soup/

Maybe add some turkey or chicken. If you add liquid smoke it will give a more meaty flavor that your craving. I did research on it and it's not terrible for you. And you only use a few drops. It's a vegetarian secret. lol
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
      Rob the HOAQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. That looks good!

Rob

I make this all of the time and its quite good.
    Vegetarian White Bean Soup

1-cup dried white beans (your choice of navy or northern)
    1/4 cup unsalted butter or veg oil or mixture of both
    1-lg yellow onion finely chopped
    1-clove garlic finely chopped
    1-lg carrot chopped
    1-stalk celery chopped
    5-cups veg stock unsalted or low salt or chicken broth just as good
    1 can no salt added diced tomatoes with juice, ( I have used Rotes tomatoes also but may be too much salt for you)
    1-tsp dried summer savory
    1-tsp dried thyme
    1-tsp sugar ( can be left out but tomatoes need sugar to cut acid)
    1-bay leaf
    salt and fresh ground pepper to your taste
    Drain beans and add to stock pot with sautéed veg and tomatoes, savory, thyme, sugar, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to lot, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally to bread up tomatoes if needed, until beans are very tender, 2-21/2 hrs. Discard bay leaf..
    If you like your soup more creamy, you can puree 1/2 of the soup in food processor or blender, then stir back into renaming soup . Season with salt and pepper to your taste and simmer for 2-3 mins to hot. You can also add a dash of hot sauce if you like. I also like to add 2-tbs. of fresh lemon juice to brighten up the flavors just before last simmer. Ladle into warmed bowls and garnish with chopped parsley (which I don't) Serve with crackers, garlic bread or crusty bread. enjoy. Serves 6-8 Servings.

(This can be flavored with a chunk of ham or bacon, or chicken or meat stock)

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
      Rob the HOAQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. That does sound good!

Rob

When I make a pot of white northern beans, I start with making the base / stock. I do use ham hocks, after taking out the hocks, I put in maybe 2 large potatoes, cut in half. The potatoes soak up the salt. This usually will remove almost all of the salt. As mentioned by Lorie, a drop of liquid smoke will give excellent results.
    Kathryn
    There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
      Rob the HOAQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I may just have to either forget about having bean soup or do it so rarely that I can have a bit more sodium than I should.

Rob

Low Salt White Bean soup

https://www.kroger.com/r/low-salt-wh...-recipe/174659

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
      Rob the HOAQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate it Madonna. Just wish I could find some low sodium ham.

Rob

last word.jpg It is very hard to replace the good stuff
    I feel that way about butter substitutes, no such thing, they are awful. So I am sparingly using real butter. You may have to have smaller portions of the real thing

Comment

Working...
    X