Diabetic-friendly Carrot Cake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diabetic-friendly Carrot Cake

In another thread, Joy mentioned that she loves carrot cake but has to be disciplined because of her diabetes. I want to share this recipe for carrot cake made with sucralose (Splenda). It honestly tastes like the carrot cake of your dreams. I have served this to guests many times, and no one has guessed that it is diabetes-friendly.

Carrot Cake
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon cloves
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    1/2 cup raisins (optional)
    1 container (1/4 cup) prune baby food
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3 eggs
    3/4 cup buttermilk (see cook's notes)
    1-1/2 cups Splenda Granular
    1 small can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple packed in unsweetened juice
    1-1/2 cups peeled and shredded carrots

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13" cake pan.

Combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, spices, chopped nuts, and raisins (if using) in a medium bowl; stir to blend. Set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine prune baby food, oil, vanilla, and eggs. Beat until combined. Add buttermilk and Splenda and beat again. Add pineapple (including juice) and carrots; beat on slow speed until combined. Add the flour mixture and stir until incorporated. Pour into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cake cool in pan.

Cook's note: If you don't have buttermilk or buttermilk powder, you can make your own. Put 1 Tablespoon white vinegar in a measuring cup. Add milk to the 3/4 cup line. Stir and let sit for a few moments.

Cream Cheese Frosting
    1 (8-oz.) brick cream cheese, softened
    1 (8-oz) tub whipped cream cheese
    1/4 cup Splenda Granular
    1/2 of an 8-oz. tub whipped topping, thawed (I use the sugar free variety)

Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheeses together until smooth. Add Splenda and beat for 1 minute. Gently fold in whipped topping until combined.

Store cake (covered) in the refrigerator.

I can tell this is a good recipe. Carrot cake sounds so good right now.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I love carrot cake! I first made it when I was a teen when I asked my step dad what was his favorite cake. Funny I became a baker later in life.

If I may interject something about the sweetener, because I love you guys so much.😚 I have been using Sugarly by Equal for years now. You measure it by half the amount in a recipe. I buy it on Amazon and it has really good reviews for natural/ no after taste.

https://www.amazon.com/Sugarly-Subst...d-0c3639671b2d
      Last edited by Hulamoon; October 16, 2020, 12:37 PM.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• MSN
        MSN commented
        Editing a comment
        I was not familiar with Sugarly. It appears to be a blend of sucralose (the ingredient in Splenda) and erythritol (one of the ingredients in Swerve). I think you could try your sweetener of choice in this recipe. If you do, let me know the results!

Sounds like a good recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I have been wanting a diabetic cake to celebrate an upcoming milestone birthday. This will be perfect.. I'm so glad you shared this one. Thank you!
        Theda :icon_wave:

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
        "Carlie Rae" - Babylock Crescendo

Comment

Hope the birthday celebration is grand!

Comment

Working...
          X