Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do I do with an Instant Pot?

Hello!

Hubby just bought an Instant Pot. I didn't want one and have no clue what to do with it. I love my slow cooker. I made chickpeas in the IP yesterday...unsoaked. They were ok. I found the mess and cleanup soooo much more than my slow cooker. I was reading that quinoa takes one minute to cook, but with the pre-heat and cool down cycles it takes way longer than me cooking it on the stove. I'm not sold so far. What do you do with yours?

Thanks!
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

I got one for Christmas last year and seldom use it. I find the clean-up too much. I know I would use an air fryer occasionally but I can live without that, too. It’s just the two of us and the old way works better for me.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I don't have one & have had no desire to get one. I do the majority of my cooking on the stove top. I have a slow cooker for certain items. I think there are recipes on line. There are several forum members who have used it & like it. I know Bonnie Hunter uses one.

Comment

I have one and like it. My favorite recipe to make is this.

https://www.skinnytaste.com/chicken-...n-instant-pot/

​​​​​​
        Wendy
        http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

It's my go to for cooking rice, stew beef with veggies, roasts, chicken breasts. Mine goes straight into the dishwasher for easy clean up.
          Katrina
          “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

I have an instant pot and I love it for certain tasks and dishes. I don’t use it daily, but I do like it. I still use my crock pot, too. Ok....what to use it for.....hard boiled eggs! I have NEVER enjoyed peeling eggs after boiling them, but the instant pot makes that task so pleasant. The egg shells literally fall off in my hands with no effort! Worth every penny for that task alone. Do I boil eggs daily? No. Weekly? Not always, but I can admit my hubby gets deviled eggs much more frequently now and he loves them. I would hate to go back to any other way!

I found many recipes online and I put them through my test. If it seems like ingredients that I would use to make it the conventional way, then maybe this would be a recipe to try. Not every recipe will work out, but you often don’t know til you try. We did not like the salmon at all, but a roast with potatoes and carrots was a time saver and the meat was deliciously tender. I make my meatloaf in a small pan over my garlic Parmesan cheese potatoes, all at once. A meatloaf is way too big for the two of us, but this smaller one is just as delicious and a lot less leftovers. ( I like variety)

The benefit of the instant pot is you set it and walk away. You don’t have to babysit it, like a pan on the stove. Yes, it takes time to get to pressure. No, I don’t use it for vegetables. It has so many built in safety features that I can rest assured that it won’t blow up, but I will admit I have canned for most of my life so pressure doesn’t scare me. It is not the only way to cook, but rather an interesting addition, if you have the inclination, money, and time to learn a new way.

Comment

Originally posted by wlrquilts View Post

​​​​​​
              I copied the recipe it sounds delicious, thank you!

Comment

My DH wanted one about a year ago & I was not enthused about it but now that we have it I really like it. If you boil eggs in it they slide out of the shells so easy. Sweet potatoes are delicious fresh out of the pot & we use it a lot to steam meats to make them tender. After DH cooks ribs on the BBQ pit we often put them in the IP & the meat just falls off the bone. Also, DH doesn't like the skin around link sausage but if I steam them in the IP they are so soft & tender. I also use it when I make tamales. I should use it more than I do but old cooking habits are hard to break. Ours stays on our kitchen counter for easy access but I still don't use it as much as I should. Give yourself time...I think you will like it. You can learn a lot about it online from you-tubes & get recipes there too.

Comment

Originally posted by wlrquilts View Post

​​​​​​
                  This sounds a whole lot like a taco soup recipe that I have only I make mine from ground beef. I put black olive slices in mine & use jalapeno pinto beans instead of the black & kidney beans. My recipe also calls for one envelop of dry Ranch Dressing mix. I've never made mine in the Instant Pot. YUM!
                  Last edited by osewme; September 20, 2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

That recipe does sound delicious. I'll give it s good go before passing judgment. Thanks everyone!

Comment

I have two!! One is a six quart and the other a three quart. I use the small one for side dishes....potatoes, dried beans, hard boiled eggs. The bigger one is for the main dish. I really like making ribs in it. Half cup water, half cup apple cider vinegar, 25 minutes, release and put under the broiler with sauce to finish them up. I used to spend hours making ribs and they never turned out as well as the IP ones do.

Another favorite recipe is this.....https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/in...chicken-pasta/

It reminds me of something from Olive Garden.
                      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                        Hillbillyhike commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Great site for recipes. Thanks Pat!

• bubba
                        bubba commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You are very welcome!!

You must try sweet corn in it. 4 minutes on high pressure and quick release. Just a cup of water and put the cleaned corn on a trivett. It’s the best! And I love eggs made in it too. 4 minutes and 3 minutes before I release the pressure. You can fill it to the top with eggs that you start stackin on the trivett. Oh and my aunt makes the greatest potatoe salad in hers. Everything in one pot, potatoes and eggs on top in a pan. There’s a whole following on the Internet. There’s a guy Jeffrey that has a sight “pressure luck”. He’s got great recepies.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                        Hillbillyhike commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I will try those. That sounds easy. Thanks!

• bubba
                        bubba commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That Jeffrey is good! He has a couple cookbooks and is on facebook. Hard boiled eggs are great. If you can, get one of the mesh metal baskets to use...much easier.

I have one. It's not that useful if your mostly vegetarian and living alone. Too much clean up. That sounded so negative. lol
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                        Hillbillyhike commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's what I found as well, although I only made chick peas in it so far.

Metal mesh basket? I'll have to look for that and Jeffrey. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X