what is cooking in the oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is cooking in the oven

we had to get another oven after the old one failed to proceed heating, the replacement is a small oven air fryer with its little door little shelves and the rotating basket. it is tiny but sits on top of counter.
    Having a new oven in these times, actually has made cooking something to look forward to.
    So far baked:
    bread
    lemon cake
    quiche
    banana chips
    mouth popping tomatoes, that was surprising in a wrap.
    but my favourite thing so far is carrot chips, followed by parsnip chips, created from raw veg and a tiny amount of oil.
    it bakes jacket spuds with a soft inner and crispy skin.
    skewered some cauliflower and spicy battered them, wow.
    himself likes battered onion rings, and fruit crumble
    Sir cat likes his chicken, with a crispy skin. Mischief purrfers pork chop, they always turn up at the bleeps, amazing how quickly they learn, what a bleep means.

Any one have any air fryer or ordinary oven favourites?

Good to see you on again. I've never had one of those types of ovens -- just the one with my kitchen stove. I mostly use it for baking bread & pizza. Most of my cooking is done on the stove top burners in kettles or skillets. We use our microwave at lot for heating up foods & for cooking frozen dinners.

Comment

Wow those things came a long way to cook all that! What size do you have?
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I love a good stew, and when Cheryl and I got married my sister gave me the recipe that she got from her mother-in-law for five-hour stew.

1 1/2 lbs stew meat (I double everything and make a huge pot)
      2-3 baking potatoes, cubed
      2-3 carrots, sliced
      Onion (optional. I use onion powder)
      3 tablespoons instant tapioca
      8 oz. tomato juice (I use no salt added tomato sauce)
      1/4 to 1/2 cup water
      1 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet
      1 tablespoon sugar
      Salt to taste (I don't use salt, or if I do only about 1/4 teaspoon)

Put the meat and vegetables in either a Dutch over or stock pot. Pour liquid mixture over meat and vegetables. Be sure lid is on pot. Cook in a 250 degree oven for five hours. You can serve with either homemade bread or biscuits.

This is one of those things that gets better as the days go on. It makes a great winter meal. It's possible to use a slow cooker, although I would brown the meat before doing so. Personally, I like using my Dutch oven.

Rob
      Last edited by Rob the HOAQ; August 30, 2020, 09:55 PM.
      There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
      --Ken Burns

Comment

Sounds like the one my father had. Being in a wheel chair I would not allow him to use the regular oven so we compromised and got a table top air fryer. That was the first thing my daughter asked for when he passed. So I gave it to her. I do miss it and may end up buying one for me. But at the time I had a table top regular oven so I let it go. I think we used it almost every day. We also got an induction thingy so he could fry at the dining room table. A way of him remaining as independent as he could, cooking his own breakfast using the two.

Comment

We had a small counter oven when first married. Although we had regular oven, we used it instead as it didn't heat up the apartment. I cooked small 2 person meals, made toast and pizza.

What I've made this past weekend was a sirloin tip roast with mushrooms. We enjoyed a meal of it with baked potatoes and fresh beans from the garden. But then I cant stand to see it. So I cook broad egg noodles, add frozen peas to pot. I cur up the roast in bite-size pieces along with more roasted mushrooms and sauce. Drain the noodles/veggies. Mix together. Then I freeze them in 2person portions for future meals. I think I love it best this way.

Hope all is well across the pond.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Suzanne that sounds good!! Now I'm by myself, it will be great in the winter, just open the freezer there ya go
            Kathryn
            There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

Working...
            X