Recipes for sliced pickles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipes for sliced pickles?

I have a lot of big cucumbers, and am wondering if anyone has a good recipe for canned sliced pickles?

Sweet, dill, or the very yummy bread and butter pickle?
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
      Nwmnteacher commented
      Editing a comment
      Any and all :-)

I will pull my recipe a bit later today and post one for bread and butter pickles.
    If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

If you do a search on this forum site, you will find several pickle recipes from 7-8-2018 under the thread "Looking for sweet pickle recipes". Don't think all the recipes were for sweet pickles. Happy Canning

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
        Nwmnteacher commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I'll check.

These bread and butter pickles can be done as refrigerator pickles or canned for longer term use.

25-30 cucumbers slices 1/4"
      3 tablespoons of kosher salt
      5 cups white vinegar
      5 cups granulated sugar
      1 1/2 teaspoons McCormicks pickling spice.

I usually half this recipe for refrigerator pickles. If I'm canning them for a larger quantity I use the whole recipe.

Wash cucumbers and slice thin, sprinkle salt over them, cover with a clean dish towel and place a ziplock bag of ice on top of the towel. Put the bowl in the fridge for about 3 hours. After 3 hours put cucumber slices in a colander and rinse really well to remove a lot of the salt.

Brine
      Mix vinegar and sugar in a large pot and add pickling spices, stir well to dissolve sugar. Place pot on stove and bring brine to a boil. Add cucumber slices, stir, and heat till it just comes back to a boil and remove from heat.

Fill jars with cucumbers and brine to 1/2" from top of jar. Let cool before putting them in the fridge, they keep for 1 month and are ready to eat right away.

You can also can them and I suggest you follow canning instructions for doing that.

​​
      Last edited by Cathy F; August 20, 2020, 05:33 PM.
      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

• Grey Lady
        Grey Lady commented
        Editing a comment
        Mmm...I'm going to try this recipe. Bread & butter stackers. Thks.

My recipe is similar to Cathy's but proportions may vary.

For every 4-5lbs of small cucumbers -- you need to wash, slice them 1/4'' thick in a large plastic tub. Sprinkle 1 tbsp coarse salt, and continue layering (I make a 1/2 bushel). Cover 3 hrs or overnight. Next -- you rinse out the cukes, so there is no salt taste residue. I squeeze the water out of them.

In a big pot, mix:
      - 4 cups vinegar, 3 cups salt, 2 tbsp. mustard seed, 1 tsp. celery seed, 1/2 tsp turmeric and 1/8 tsp cloves. Bring to a boil. Add cucumbers to cover. Let boil 1-2 mins until the cukes are no longer bright green.

Transfer to clean sterilized jars and fill to 1/2" to brim. Wipe down & cover. I process them in a water bath for 10 mins for small jars and 15 for large jars.
      Remove carefully and let sit on the counter. After the lids have popped,, screw the lid tight. Cool and store. I have eaten pickles 2+ years old, with no issue.

You ask -- you had jars 2+ years old? Yes- - I had put <hidden> them in boxes labelled empty jars, so the kids wouldn't raid the pantry and take them all home.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
        Nwmnteacher commented
        Editing a comment
        No sugar needed?

Here's my cucumber / summer squash recipe it's not sickening sweet, more like bread & butter

Summer Squash Pickles

Recipe By :Kate
      Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :1:30
      Categories : Canning Recipes Katie's

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
      -------- ------------ --------------------------------
      1 3/4 cups sugar
      2 cups cider vinegar
      6 cloves garlic -- peeled and halved
      3 teaspoons celery seeds
      3 heads dill weed, fresh

3 medium onion, whole -- sliced 1/4" thick
      6 small summer squash, whole -- sliced 1/4" thick
      5 small pickling cucumbers -- sliced 1/4" thick
      3 medium carrots -- sliced diagonally

Dissolve sugar, vinegar, add garlic cloves, heat to boil, lower heat and keep hot. Meanwhile, slice all vegetables, put into large colander, sprinkle canning salt over all, then cover with layer of ice cubes, let sit about 2 hrs. Drain very well, pat with dish towel or with paper towels.

If canning, put veggies into jars, add solution to top, Water Bath for 12 minutes.

NOTES : ** As long as you make the solution, you can add an infinite variety of veggies, zucchini, celery, cauliflower, etc.
      Whatever you like best. This can also be put into a half gallon jar, and kept in the refrigerator, will keep about3 weeks.
      Kathryn
      There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

That looks very good!

Comment

Working...
        X